Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Eastern Religions and Philosophies > Hinduism

Hinduism Discussions and questions about Hinduism and general Hindu beliefs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Prince Of Truth
 
Silverbackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 267
Silverbackman is on a distinguished road
Hell and Sins

How do you go to hell in Hinduism? In Abrahamic Religions you go to hell if you are not an adherent of that particular religion such as Christianity and Islam (which I so despise and hate about those religions) but of course the logic in Hinduism is far more realistic. You go to heaven if you do good things and go to hell if you do bad things, it doesn't matter what faith you belong to.

However what is considered bad in Hinduism that would land you into hell when you die? My understanding is a large collection of negative karma (which is gained by being hostile to others) will land into hell. That is also what Buddhists believe to my understanding.

But what are these sins that would land you into hell? I'm guessing the most basic stealing, false accusations, hurting other against their will, rape, and the most worst would be murder. Are these the basic sins and what are others that would land you into hell?
Silverbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbackman
of course the logic in Hinduism is far more realistic. You go to heaven if you do good things and go to hell if you do bad things, it doesn't matter what faith you belong to.
In Hinduism, the hellish worlds are reserved for those who perform really bad karmas and sins. Hell is not a place for non-believers, hell is not eternal (as you already know), and there is no satan.

Quote:
However what is considered bad in Hinduism that would land you into hell when you die?
Depending on the text, there are up to nine qualities which are said to be avoided. The nine qualities are: rage, greed, lust, delusion, arrogance, jealousy, fraud, hypocrisy, and deceit. These are to be avoided because they can lead a person into performing bad karmas and sins, which can then lead to hell. In this sense, there are classically three "gates to hell": rage, greed and lust.

Quote:
But what are these sins that would land you into hell? I'm guessing the most basic stealing, false accusations, hurting other against their will, rape, and the most worst would be murder. Are these the basic sins and what are others that would land you into hell?
Right. Malice is sometimes also included. Another one I’ve seen in the list of deadly sins is suicide. Hindu masters say killing oneself is just as bad as killing another.
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Local Aatmaa :p
 
harishankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
harishankar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Surprisingly hell and heaven doesn't exist in Hinduism (according to my line of thinking).

We return to this world to reap the results of our actions in the previous life and so on. In fact, the whole concept of Karma probably deserves several books on its own. To simplify Karma as "law of action and reaction" is like saying that rockets work on the principle of jet propulsion. Sure, that is the underlying concept, but I believe Karma's complexity is something that one cannot understand as a mere mortal. We need spiritual progress, not just book knowledge I believe to understand how Karma and rebirth works.

So there is no question of heaven or hell. We return to this Earth where we suffer the effects of bad thoughts, words and actions and enjoy the effects of good thoughts, words and actions over our previous lives. In essence, we are the product of our own thoughts, words and actions over our past, present and into the future. Therefore we go through both heaven and hell in our present life as well as in future lives. There is no escape from this cycle except by progressing spiritually through lives and climbing higher in the spiritual evolutionary cycle. Human form is just a middle stage of evolution...

And Religion, I believe, is nothing but the formal path of spiritual progress and which teaches us how to live this life so that we don't continue accumulating Karma. Something that gives you the path of spiritual progress which is not just limited to this present life but future lives as well.

When we die, I believe that our spirit goes to the subtle plane of consciousness and returns to the gross physical plane of this world after a sufficient "waiting" period.
harishankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Thanks Harishankar. We're essentially saying the same thing, but I'm saying it in an oversimplified way, perhaps too oversimplified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar
Surprisingly hell and heaven doesn't exist in Hinduism (according to my line of thinking).
Heaven and hell as defined in the Abrahamic sense do not exist in any branch of Hinduism.
Quote:
When we die, I believe that our spirit goes to the subtle plane of consciousness and returns to the gross physical plane of this world after a sufficient "waiting" period.
Right you are! The heavens and hells defined in Hinduism are nothing more than regions or divisions within the subtle (astral) plane of existence, which we experience based on our karmas. Classically, the subtle plane has been divided into seven hellish realms and three heavenly realms. So heaven and hell are not gross physical worlds like ours where we live in a physical body. The heavenly and hellish realms are not literally above or below, they are sort of within. The waiting periods and experiences in the interim between death and the successive rebirth in the subtle plane is called "heaven" or "hell."
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Local Aatmaa :p
 
harishankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
harishankar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Agnideva, yes! I could understand what you were trying to say... It's sometimes quite difficult to put these concepts into English words, because most of their equivalents simply don't exist in other religions..

For example, one would be hard-pressed to find the equivalent for "Karma".
harishankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar
Agnideva, yes! I could understand what you were trying to say... It's sometimes quite difficult to put these concepts into English words, because most of their equivalents simply don't exist in other religions..
For example, one would be hard-pressed to find the equivalent for "Karma".
Yes, I know what you mean . Karma and dharma are very hard to define and there's no equivalent words. Like you said, cause and effect is not a good description of karma and neither is "what goes around comes around." I just like using the word "karma" as most people I think are at least familiar with the term now, or at least have a vague idea of what it is.
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Prince Of Truth
 
Silverbackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 267
Silverbackman is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins



Ok now I'm confused. So there is no other life after death other than being reincarnated into another life? I thought when you die you go to one of the heavens and hells depending on your karma and after your karma has been used up you go back into the Earth. Whether it is a physical or mental state of existence those different heavens and hells are not there for nothing I presume.

Also are the emotions mentioned (rage, greed, lust, delusion, arrogance, jealousy, fraud, hypocrisy, and deceit) really sins or deadly emotions? If you do not do the actual sins that generate bad karma it is alright isn't it? For example if you lust over a woman it is alright as long as you do not rape the woman your are lusting over and as long as you do not comit adultery, right? I don't see why some of those emotions would necessarily be wrong as long as you can control it, right?
Silverbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbackman
Ok now I'm confused. So there is no other life after death other than being reincarnated into another life? I thought when you die you go to one of the heavens and hells depending on your karma and after your karma has been used up you go back into the Earth. Whether it is a physical or mental state of existence those different heavens and hells are not there for nothing I presume.
The time between death and the successive rebirth is spent in the subtle plane of existence. The various divisions of the subtle plane of existence are termed either hellish or heavenly worlds. So, after death we spend time in one of these heavenly or hellish regions depending on our karmas. The point we were making earlier is that the heavens and hells are not physical worlds that are literally above or below, and we do not inhabit these worlds in a physical body. It’s best to describe the Hindu conception of heavenly and hellish worlds as states of being, rather than literal places. And yes, they’re there for a reason.


Quote:
Also are the emotions mentioned (rage, greed, lust, delusion, arrogance, jealousy, fraud, hypocrisy, and deceit) really sins or deadly emotions? If you do not do the actual sins that generate bad karma it is alright isn't it? For example if you lust over a woman it is alright as long as you do not rape the woman your are lusting over and as long as you do not comit adultery, right? I don't see why some of those emotions would necessarily be wrong as long as you can control it, right?
I would call them potentially deadly emotions, but they are not necessarily sins or bad karmas by themselves. Surely, we can’t be free of these emotions 100% . This is only possible for pure souls who become saints and sages. But these emotions are to be consciously avoided whenever possible, and controlled because they can potentially lead to bad karmas or sins. Remember, karma is not just deeds, but also thoughts and words. Apart from that, these emotions also take a person away from the spiritual path.
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
And anything is possible
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 83
I am free is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnideva
Remember, karma is not just deeds, but also thoughts and words. Apart from that, these emotions also take a person away from the spiritual path.
Ah, so well put Agnideva. I have always believed that it is not the external action that counts but the intention as well. You cannot be a "good person" if you are constantly lusting or thinking angry thoughts. A person who is truly good is one who has a clean and a good heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbackman
Also are the emotions mentioned (rage, greed, lust, delusion, arrogance, jealousy, fraud, hypocrisy, and deceit) really sins or deadly emotions? If you do not do the actual sins that generate bad karma it is alright isn't it? For example if you lust over a woman it is alright as long as you do not rape the woman your are lusting over and as long as you do not comit adultery, right? I don't see why some of those emotions would necessarily be wrong as long as you can control it, right?
Such emotions are definitely wrong Silver. It is NOT ok to continue to have evil thoughts, even if you dont "act" on them. Such thoughts, as Agnideva put, take you away from your spiritual path. But even if you are not necessarily "spiritual" all those thoughts....anger, lust etc are extremely toxic thoughts. They take away your peace of mind and your happiness. Any psycologist will tell you that. You are what you think.

Also on the topic of hell and heaven Silver, what Agnideva and Harishankar mean (do correct me if I am wrong) by saying that hell and heaven are not "physical worlds" is that unlike in Abrahamic religions, in Hinduism, hell is not a place where you burn in fire and heaven is not a place where you enjoy all material comforts.

Regards.
I am free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am free
Also on the topic of hell and heaven Silver, what Agnideva and Harishankar mean (do correct me if I am wrong) by saying that hell and heaven are not "physical worlds" is that unlike in Abrahamic religions, in Hinduism, hell is not a place where you burn in fire and heaven is not a place where you enjoy all material comforts.
Right. This is my understanding too. Heaven is a state of being that is peaceful and tranquil, whereas hell is a state of being that involves restlessness, fear, uncertainty, etc.
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Local Aatmaa :p
 
harishankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
harishankar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnideva
Right. This is my understanding too. Heaven is a state of being that is peaceful and tranquil, whereas hell is a state of being that involves restlessness, fear, uncertainty, etc.
Allow me to clear up a few misunderstandings which I might have unintentionally caused (where Silver might have misunderstood our meaning )

I believe that there is NO heaven or hell in Hinduism, either literally or figuratively. Period. Full stop.

There are only two things for an ordinary soul:

1. Spiritual progress.
2. Spiritual decline.

When we do good deeds, think good thoughts and speak only good things, then we progress spiritually. We are tuned to spiritual progress and hence our Karma dissipates slowly.

This spiritual progress is in stages and not in one single leap. Human life is only one intermediary stage of evolution. In the final stage, we become one with the Cosmic Divine. This is the Law of Evolution. An intermediary stage is the Devas...

Spiritual decline is when we have bad thoughts, words and actions. These things accumulate more Karma for us and bind us further to this world. We become more and more entangled in worldly troubles and problems and in extreme cases, we start declining spiritually. A lower form than a human form is an Asura...

In other words, all our Karma and the results of Karma are experienced on Earth in our living form, not as an ethereal entity in other worlds. Till we can get rid of the chains of Karma, we will continue being born again and again. The only way to get rid of this cycle is to evolve spiritually...

And for this, we need to tune our thoughts, words and actions to the Divine even when we live our life everyday in the material world. The best and the safest path to spiritual progress is Religion... at least for the majority.

Once we're spiritually evolved above the human form, we are born into a higher world and so on and on. Even then, we must continue progressing spiritually until we become one with the Cosmic Divine also known as God.

The Spiritual Evolution is a continuous process, not one in fits and starts. All our lives, we experience the so-called Karmic results in our very lives. No more and no less.

This in a nutshell is the theory of Karma simplified to our level of understanding.

Last edited by harishankar; 09-29-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes corrected
harishankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar
Allow me to clear up a few misunderstandings which I might have unintentionally caused.
I believe that there is NO heaven or hell in Hinduism, either literally or figuratively. Period. Full stop.
How do you account for the heaven and hell explained in all those Hindu texts? Do you take them to be just better or worse births on earth? And how about the 14 worlds of existence? And where and what does the subtle body experience between death and the next birth?

Quote:
Once we're spiritually evolved above the human form, we are born into a higher world and so on and on. Even then, we must continue progressing spiritually until we become one with the Cosmic Divine also known as God.
Isn't this the causal plane you're talking about ... Which one gets into after liberation from the cycles of birth and death? The causal plane is beyond the subtle plane where one progresses until final merger.
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Local Aatmaa :p
 
harishankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
harishankar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
How do you account for the heaven and hell explained in all those Hindu texts? Do you take them to be just better or worse births on earth? And how about the 14 worlds of existence? And where and what does the subtle body experience between death and the next birth?
Yeah, I think basically heaven and hell nothing but stages of evolution as I explained.

A lower form than a human form is usually the "hell" and a higher form is "heaven". There is no literal meaning to these words, or even figurative as I believe those terms are misleading. That's why I used "evolution" and "decline" rather than heaven and hell.

Quote:
Isn't this the causal plane you're talking about ... Which one gets into after liberation from the cycles of birth and death? The causal plane is beyond the subtle plane where one progresses until final merger.
Hm... not really sure. I am not quite good at these technical terms. Thanks for that clarification.
harishankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Local Aatmaa :p
 
harishankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
harishankar is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Quote:
And how about the 14 worlds of existence
Those are the 14 stages of evolution where the human form comes somewhere in the middle...

Human = almost equal mixture of good and bad karma.

Higher than human = more good than bad karma.

Lower than human = more bad than good karma.
harishankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mod Hinduism
 
Agnideva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Meru
Posts: 175
Agnideva is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell and Sins

Hi Harishankar,

Let me explain where I am coming from regarding this whole heaven and hell in Hinduism issue . I follow the traditional Hindu teachings as taught by Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, wherein the concepts of heaven (svarga) and hell (naraka) are not metaphors for a better or worse life, but rather real niches within the vastness of reality. And yes, all these worlds, or rather states of being, are there for the purpose of spiritual evolution of the soul which eventually leads to final merger with Brahman.

So, in this traditional teaching, there are three planes of existence, each more subtle than the last, and there are 14 “worlds” (lokas) that make up these three planes, and they are as follows:

Physical or gross plane consists of bhuloka (physical world)

Subtle or astral plane consists of seven hellish realms (atala, vitala, sutala, talatala, rasatala, mahatala, patala) and three heavenly realms (bhuvaloka, svarloka, mahaloka). After death, the soul drops the physical body and enters the subtle plane in the subtle body. So, between death and rebirth, the soul inhabits one of these heavenly or hellish realms within the subtle plane. These states of being allow for some of the karma to be worked off, but no new karma is gained in the subtle plane. Then depending on the accumulated karmic matter, one again is born in the physical world. And yes, there are better and worse lives on this earth as well .

After sufficient evolution of the soul is complete and realization is gained, one attains moksha (liberation). Once liberation is attained from samsara, the Atman drops both the physical and subtle bodies, and enters into the causal plane of existence, which consists of three realms known as janaloka, tapaloka and satyaloka. In these causal realms, the Atman (which now inhabits the causal body) undergoes further spiritual evolution, and finally drops the causal body and attains vishvagrasa (complete oneness with Brahman).
Agnideva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Gospel tract idea mynameisstephen Christianity 28 07-30-2005 01:41 AM
What about Hell... Proph 1 Christianity 50 07-15-2005 05:02 AM
Are the Ten Commandment important? Does God really want us to keep them? ambassador Christianity 28 05-26-2005 08:28 AM
Transfering/Imputing Sins from one man to another Bandit Belief and Spirituality 17 05-26-2005 07:48 AM
Visions of Hell NewAgeNerd Christianity 9 03-17-2005 05:53 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.