Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Eastern Religions and Philosophies > Hinduism

Hinduism Discussions and questions about Hinduism and general Hindu beliefs

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

murugan is on a distinguished road
What is Karma?
murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gnōthi seauton

taijasi will become famous soon enough
Re: Karma

What goes around, comes around.
taijasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Executive Member

Nick the Pilot will become famous soon enough

Karma is the idea that a record of our deeds (good and bad) stays with us. Good deeds will mean better opportunities for us in the future. Conversely, we will need to make amends for the bad things we do. Specifically, a good deed or a bad deed may mean good or bad things happening to us in a future life.
Nick the Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Executive Member

Snoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the rough

I'm a little confused. You are from India and from your website link I'm guessiing you are Hindu. Is this right? If so I am wondering why you need to ask 'what is karma?' on the Hindu sub-forum here? 

For the record! -

Karma is a Sanskrit word meaning action or deed. After this, one would have to specify which context the word was being used; it is treated differently in Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Sikh philosophies. 

From its origins in India it has been given other meanings, specifically by the New Age and Theosophy movents. AndrewX and Nick the Pilot are both Theosophists I think, and have provided the Theosophical viewpoint.  AndrewX's phrase is the very phrase used in the Theosophy section of the Wikipedia entry on karma for instance. 

More generally the term has come to enter the common lexicon of the West, transmitted through a haze of 60's hippiedom.

s.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

citizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Pilot View Post
Karma is the idea that a record of our deeds (good and bad) stays with us.
This is exactly what I think Karma is not. A record? Where is this record kept? Who is keeping it? How does this record know how and when to extract its reward? How does your karmic record influence others to cooperate in its designs?
citizenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Executive Member

"This is exactly what I think Karma is not."

--> I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one.

"Where is this record kept?"

--> The record is called the Akashic Record. It is kept on planes of consciousness that are above our physical plane of existence:

Akashic records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Who is keeping it?"

--> We (our Higher Selves) keep it ourselves

"How does this record know how and when to extract its reward?"

--> I believe we decide ourselves, before we are born, how and when to extract it. I believe we decide on all the major events of our impending life before that life ever begins.

"How does your karmic record influence others to cooperate in its designs?"

--> It provides opportunities. If it is our karma to be seriously injured, a house may fall on us, or another accident may occur. Or if it is our karma to become business partners with someone, we are guided to that person and provided the opportunity to be their business partner.

But sometimes a person has bad karma with another person from a previous reincarnation together, karma that the two people need to work out. They are provided with the opportunity to work it out. (I do marriage counseling, I feel that most married couples have been previously married in previous reincarnations together, and a lot of their present problems are bad karma that they have brought with them from a marriage in a previous reincarnation. A lot of people meet in this life, and pick up right where they left off in their previous reincarnation together — in both good and bad ways — and live out their marriage in this reincarnation.)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

citizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of lightcitizenzen is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I believe we decide ourselves, before we are born, how and when to extract it. I believe we decide on all the major events of our impending life before that life ever begins.
So what is the purpose of life if its already mapped out before we're born?

What is the role of free will?

What is the value of living if our higher selves already appear to know so much before we ever exit the womb?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
One of Many

Location: In the deserts of Washington being trained as a poet by Samuel L. Jackson
Vajradhara will become famous soon enoughVajradhara will become famous soon enough

the hindu and buddhist ideas of karma are not the same.
Vajradhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajradhara View Post
the hindu and buddhist ideas of karma are not the same.
Yes. And this is an interfaith forum, where we have the opportunity to compare and contrast our beliefs.

Although I do see now that I am in the Hindu section. If my questions offend, I apologize. If you don't mind discussing the differences, then I am curious.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gnōthi seauton

taijasi will become famous soon enough

citizenzen, might I recommend an investigation of the Biblical phrase: "Book of God's Remembrance?" I think you'll find some of what you're looking for there, although Nick has already spoken to this same teaching ... as it exists in the Vedas [Akasha being Sanskrit].

Our higher selves, by the way, are not quite identical to the incarnate soul ... or that which is sent forth to experience life in the the three worlds [physical, astral, mental]. From the plane of higher mind, the Soul is regarded as a watcher, meditating on `its reflection' ... yet even while out of incarnation, when we "re-join" this aspect of our being, we nevertheless remain distinct individuals.

The idea, in short, is that our Soul once was a member of the human Kingdom, just as ourselves. Long ago, in a prior cycle of evolution, the Manasaputra [Son of Mind] attained to its own freedom, and hence it does not literally reincarnate, or project itself into the three lower worlds as we do. Rather, the Soul is incarnate on a `higher turn of the spiral,' and the densest plane of incarnation for it is the Higher Mental.

So, we have the relationship to the Soul of something like student to Teacher, although we also maintain our own vehicles of consciousness [formless, therefore not `bodies' as such, yet definitely a temporary means of expression for our Higher Principles] in the world of Higher Mind, and beyond. The Soul can be regarded as One which is nearly Perfect, in the same ways which we are currently striving to emulate ... with such figures as a Buddha, a Christ, a Master or an Arhat as demonstrating precisely what this Perfection looks like while yet we still remain in incarnation.

Any farther progression than a Buddha will remove us from this realm altogether, and although we continue our spiritual evolution elsewhere, we are no longer able to incarnate in the lower worlds at all. Because the Kingdoms overlap, however, a Master, a Buddha or a Christ is actually quite more advanced than our own Manasaputra [Soul] ... and therefore it is an entire study, unto itself, as to which `Soul Grouping' we find ourselves belonging to within the current Human Family, and what this will then entail.

Karma applies to Groups in addition to individuals, as also to the whole of Humanity, to other Kingdoms both sub- and super- ... and even to "the ONE in Whom we live, and move, and have our Being." Gods, too, incarnate ... and these are the Prajapatis, the Solar and Planetary Logoi, our sister and parent Suns, etc. We exist, only because They exist; what they are in Macrocosm, we are in microcosm. Big picture, little picture, etc.
taijasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Executive Member

"the hindu and buddhist ideas of karma are not the same."

--> And that difference is…?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Executive Member

"So what is the purpose of life if its already mapped out before we're born?"

--> Many people mistakenly assume that karma means we have a lack of free will. It does not. The example that is often given is, if it is our karma to travel from New York to Los Angeles, we will, but we might travel by car, train, airplane, etc. So only parts of our life are decided by us before we are born, not every minute aspect.

"What is the role of free will?"

--> It allows us to choose between making progress along the path to enlightenment, or be selfish and actually lose progress along the path. ("Bad" people actually lose progress along the path, which shows that everything in life is not already predestined. Who would predestine themselves to lose progress along the path?) The only real "god-given" right we have is to decide how much progress we will make along the path in this lifetime.

"What is the value of living if our higher selves already appear to know so much before we ever exit the womb?"

--> The value is great — we are presently unable to be conscious at the same level of consciousness as our Higher Self. The purpose of life is for us to raise up our consciousness up to that high level. Our Higher Self exists (we ARE our Higher Self), but our consciousness at that level is merely a dreamy half-existence. Our purpose in life is to become fully conscious at that higher level (which is why meditation is so important).
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

That may be a key difference here.

Zen Buddhists don't believe in a "higher" self or soul.

We don't believe in recording devices or afterlife plans, just the basic fumbling and stumbling most of us go through in life.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Executive Member

Citizenzen,

Yes, these are major differences between your belief system and mine. According to my belief system, yes we fumble and stumble through life, but it has a definite purpose.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
According to my belief system, yes we fumble and stumble through life, but it has a definite purpose.
What is that purpose?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: