Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Secularism > Philosophy

Philosophy General philosophy: metaphysics, ethics, the Enlightenment, and the human experience.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Executive Member

Snoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the rough
Nietzsche

Great tash!

What else?
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Executive Member

Snoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the roughSnoopy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Nietzsche

No takers then? Not even Allelyah?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
An ordinary cup of tea

A Cup Of Tea will become famous soon enoughA Cup Of Tea will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allelyah View Post
Hi. How are you using yourself?
Fantastic!

As to Nietzsche, I'm unfamiliar with the specifics, as I understand it he wanted us to become amoral and let the strongest rule the weak. If someone would add some insights I would gladly discuss the subject.
A Cup Of Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Etu Malku has a spectacular aura aboutEtu Malku has a spectacular aura about

Nietzsche wasn't amoral, he called himself an 'immoralist' which is similar to what we call an 'antitheist' these days, Nietzsche is important to Luciferians for a number of reasons, but as an immoralist he challenged all the religions and belief systems, deciding they were more detrimental than beneficial to Mankind.
Etu Malku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
An ordinary cup of tea

A Cup Of Tea will become famous soon enoughA Cup Of Tea will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etu Malku View Post
...deciding they were more detrimental than beneficial to Mankind.
This struck me, me thinks that we first have to figure out what we believe the purpose for mankind and/or individuals are before we can determine what is detrimental or beneficial.
What was his conclusion?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cup Of Tea View Post
This struck me, me thinks that we first have to figure out what we believe the purpose for mankind and/or individuals are before we can determine what is detrimental or beneficial.
What was his conclusion?
Freddy's outlook was that they were extremely detrimental and a hindrance to an evolving Mankind. I tend to agree with him, where I can see that religion provides comfort and consolation it, in many cases, blinds and deludes rational thinking, has caused more wars than possibly any other reason, and to this day keeps most of the world at each others throats.

Which is why I imagine this website forum was designed, so that some of us can get past this and unite.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Conscientious Objector

luecy7 will become famous soon enoughluecy7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I tend to agree with him, where I can see that religion provides comfort and consolation it, in many cases, blinds and deludes rational thinking, has caused more wars than possibly any other reason, and to this day keeps most of the world at each others throats.
So often I see a person claim that a teaching has caused him/her to do something, or a word has caused them to feel something, or a person's dress has caused them to act, or an advertisement has caused them to buy. It is often a person that seeks their own 'freedom' too, yet fails to exercise their freedom to review their own behavior, their own coveted addictions. While it is true that people can become aware of temptations and addictions, and then seek to tempt, seduce, or addict a virgin neighbor, the awareness of temptations and addictions is perhaps a necessary step to overcoming them. A book does not cause anything. People cause, and some try to use religion as their excuse.
luecy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
An ordinary cup of tea

Etu, I think it's hard to define what religion actually does and the answer is probably very different depending on who you ask. I'm trying to imagine a world without religion and I can't see where religion and begins and ends in society. For me religion is a product of people huddling together by the fire, it has some unique aspects but it has so much in common with any other type of human organization. In a way, religion (a world with many meanings) is a natural product of mankind.
Hm, thanks, never thought of it that clearly before.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
awkward squadnik

bananabrain is a jewel in the roughbananabrain is a jewel in the roughbananabrain is a jewel in the roughbananabrain is a jewel in the rough

to quote terry jones:

"Nietzsche! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!"

or, alternatively, jeeves, to bertie wooster:

"You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound."

or, if you prefer, bertrand russell:

"The whole of [Nietzsche’s] abuse of women is offered as self-evident truth; it is not backed up by evidence from history or from his own experience, which, so far as women were concerned, was almost confined to his sister."

good moustache, though.

b'shalom

bananabrain
bananabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Executive Member

I only know a teensy weensy bit of Nietzsche, but he does seem interesting. I'm aware Russell is underwhelmed by him, but then I know buggerall about Russell.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Quaker-in-the-Making

radarmark has a spectacular aura aboutradarmark has a spectacular aura aboutradarmark has a spectacular aura about

ACOT is onto something here. In the beginning (2 million years ago or so) we have proof of technology (Leakey's tools in East Africa). About 250,000 years ago we have proof of a mythic-religious bent (Neanderthal burials). About 10,000 years ago we begin having proof of theology (Temples in Turkey and Indus valley).

By the time we get to writing 5,000 years ago (Sumeria and Egypt, then, independently, Indus, China, Mezoamerica, and Abenakian) we know that the religious (individual spirituality) and theology (collective or exoteric Religion) both thrived (yoga postures and individual gliphs in Indus and temple myths in Sumer).

By the time we get to the great transition times (Zarathustra, Rishis, Moses, the Original Daoists, Q'uq'utazi) the split between religion and theology was evident and philosophy (including math and science) was just beginning to separate from theology (before which time only priests had math and astronomy skills).

BOTTOM LINE: By the time of the Hundred Schools of Thought (China), the Nine Shools of Philosophy (India), and the Pre-Aristotelians (Europe) religion (personal beliefs in spirit), theology (normally called Religion), and philosophy (now including philosophy proper, first philosophy and metaphysics, mathematics, and physical science) were firmly separated. And techne (or craftsmanship or technology) was still well ahead. Sound plausible?

By this argument. Freddie N and Franz Rosenzweig were opposite sides of the same coin--Freddie opted for a philosophical solution to theology (ignoring religion) and Franz opted for a religion that embraced theology and philosophy.

Panta Rhei!
Everything Flows
radarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Executive Member

Quote:
Nietzsche wasn't amoral, he called himself an 'immoralist' which is similar to what we call an 'antitheist' these days, Nietzsche is important to Luciferians for a number of reasons, but as an immoralist he challenged all the religions and belief systems, deciding they were more detrimental than beneficial to Mankind.
Could you recommend any particular books? Either about his philosophy or translations of the actual works?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Could you recommend any particular books? Either about his philosophy or translations of the actual works?
His "Anti-Christ" and "Will to Power" are both seminal works for Luciferians to understand.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Executive Member

Quote:
His "Anti-Christ" and "Will to Power" are both seminal works for Luciferians to understand.
OK thanks. Any particular translations?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hunter-Gatherer

IowaGuy will become famous soon enough

Robert Solomon has a nice lecture on Neitzxche's view of nihilism:

Nietzsche on Nihilism and the Death of God (Existentialism: 10 of 24) - YouTube

Actually, Solomon's entire lecture series on Existentialism is worth watching, IMHO.
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: