Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Modern Religions > Baha'i

Baha'i Discuss and ask questions about the Baha'i Faith.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Baha'i

BruceDLimber is on a distinguished road
OCEAN: FREE online scriptures of many religions, with searchable concordance

[I'm echoing a friend's post of this here as many of you in this forum might like to get this.]

This might be of interest to many of you:

Free Downloadable Online Library of the World's Religious Scriptures,

with searchable concordance.

http://www.bahai-education.org/ocean/

here is what it says on the home page...

Ocean is a free collection of the World's Religious literature managed by a unique book-centered research engine. It contains over 1000 books of 10 world religions in English as well as collections in six other languages (French, Spanish, German, Russian, Dutch, and Portuguese). If you have a slow internet connection, don't despair: We will happily mail you a CD at cost anywhere on the planet!
Our purpose in giving away Ocean is to promote amity among religions through greater understanding. It is our belief that the actual teachings of the various religions are not so different as some people would have us believe. True, religions have been used by power-hungry leaders as a tool to divide people. But eventually people will get tired of formulaes of hate and begin to ask "what do the scriptures really say?" What they will find is shocking: the core message of all the world's religious writings is the same: ethical integrity, honesty, sincerity, compassion, tolerance and non-violence. No kidding! It's hard to accept this in a world filled with "religious" bigotry and hatred -- but just look for yourself!

Enjoy! :-)
BruceDLimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yaqinud Din is on a distinguished road
Re: OCEAN: FREE online scriptures of many religions, with searchable concordance

This is good and I'm sure alot of people could find good in this but if any one would like to know about Islam they need to go to Islamic websites.
Yaqinud Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

brucegdc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to brucegdc Send a message via Yahoo to brucegdc
Re: OCEAN: FREE online scriptures of many religions, with searchable concordance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaqinud Din
This is good and I'm sure alot of people could find good in this but if any one would like to know about Islam they need to go to Islamic websites.
Just as well the post is in the Baha'i forum, then, isn't it?

I downloaded the software a while back from there and it has a wonderful selection - somewhat heavily weighted towards Baha'i, that's to be expected. Don't know about some of the translations, but I would say that about anything (including Homer) that gets translated. Thanks for the reminder about it, BruceDL ..
brucegdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Why do cows say mu?

seattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of light

I like Ocean because I can easily copy and paste more scriptural documents into the library, and set up and organize these documents into "bookshelves," according to my own style. The search feature in Ocean is quite powerful, as well.
seattlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Baha'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaqinud Din
I fear you miss the point!

This is intended to be a neutral resource, and of course the Qur'an is INCLUDED in its library!

Peace,

Bruce
Old 03-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Baha'i

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

(Ever notice how everything happens right AFTER is should?!)

Having posted the Ocean announcement two days ago, naturally today came the announcement that Ocean is now available directly online through the Web! Here's the site:

http://BahaiResearch.com

Enjoy! :-)

Bruce
Old 03-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Episcopalian

lunamoth has a spectacular aura aboutlunamoth has a spectacular aura about

Hi Bruce, Is that web application page the exact same thing as Ocean?

(I love Ocean too).

lunamoth
lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Baha'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoth
Hi Bruce, Is that web application page the exact same thing as Ocean?

(I love Ocean too).

lunamoth
As I understand it, yes!

Regards,

Bruce
Old 04-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
A Believer

Location: St. Ignace, MI... Just on the north side of the Mackinac Bridge
IMSassafras is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to IMSassafras Send a message via MSN to IMSassafras Send a message via Yahoo to IMSassafras Send a message via Skype™ to IMSassafras

Thank you Bruce for the website version of Ocean. This is the first time I heard of this new site. I went ahead and tried it out, but I have to say, I do like the downloadable version better, though. I can search on the downloadable version odd phrases and word combinations where on the website version I have to be more careful on word choose. I will continue to play with it, though. Maybe it is something I will get use to in time... but, of course, maybe not.

warmly,
Sassafras
IMSassafras is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: