Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Abrahamic Religions > Christianity

Christianity Christian issues and discussions of Christianity.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Episcopalian

lunamoth has a spectacular aura aboutlunamoth has a spectacular aura about
Quotes for Lent

Hi All, I thought I'd start a thread to share Bible paasages and other sayings or quotes we find especially meaningful for the season of Lent. They don't have to be related to Lent and Easter, just something you find inspirational at this time of year.

peace,
lunamoth
lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Episcopalian

Re: Quotes for Lent

...thay are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith.--Romans 3:24-25
Old 03-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
What was the question?

Quahom1 has a spectacular aura aboutQuahom1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Quahom1

Lent is not a deprivation, but rather a reminder of what you have been blessed with. By depriving self of your blessings, you remember them with more appreciation (Mom H.)
Quahom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Interfaith Forums

Bandit will become famous soon enough

i dont do lent but respect those who do.

i am not sure if this is a literal lent or a liberal lent, i dont know if this is a literal meaningful or a liberal meaningful.

so i dont know what scriptures to put.

(John 11:35) Jesus wept
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Interfaith Forums

i will share quotes from a song i like instead, if that will be ok

As I journey through the land, singing as I go,
Pointing souls to Calvary—to the crimson flow,
Many arrows pierce my soul from without, within;
But my Lord leads me on, through Him I must win.
  • Oh, I want to see Him, look upon His face,
    There to sing forever of His saving grace;
    On the streets of glory let me lift my voice,
    Cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Episcopalian

Hi Bandit, thank you for sharing, but please don't make this thread into a debate.

peace,
lunamoth
Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Episcopalian

"I don't preach a social goapel; I preach the gospel, period. The gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is concerned for the whole person. When people were hungry, Jesus didn't say, 'Now is that political or social?' He said, 'I feed you.' Because the good news to a hungry person is bread."

--Desmond Tutu
Old 03-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
What was the question?

Quahom1 has a spectacular aura aboutQuahom1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Quahom1

No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting it, not by giving in. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later.
That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it.
(C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, p 13)
Quahom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Episcopalian

O Lord, make me an instrument of your Peace!
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light, and
Where there is sorrow, joy.

Oh Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

--St. Francis of Assisi
Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Interfaith Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoth
Hi Bandit, thank you for sharing, but please don't make this thread into a debate.

peace,
lunamoth
i want to clear this up.
not all christians do lent in the literal sense. if you read my first post you will see where i was being very serious & i said I RESPECT THOSE WHO DO IT.

AND I said,
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SCRIPTURES TO PUT.
so i put the shortest one & shared a song because i do not really know what scriptures go with it that are meaningful to lent.

by literal meaningful- i do not know what scriptures go with lent. i am only aware that it is something observed by catholics from my understanding it is probably like fasting, but i am still not sure.

please accept my apology - however i was being serious & admonishing to those who do lent by saying i respect those who do & trying to chime.
a debate was not intended.

again, i am sorry & sorry for that being taken wrong.
i wont be posting on the christian board, for awhile, if ever- so hopefully that will make things better here.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Episcopalian

Thank you for clearing that up Bandit. I hope you will continue to post in this thread. Lent refers to the weeks leading up to Easter; how one uses this time will vary although traditionally it is a time to reflect on our life and relationship with God and neighbor, to repent of the sin we find in our life, and renew our committment to God.

peace,
lunamoth

BTW, the song you shared was beautiful and quite appropriate.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

skyvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahom1 View Post
Lent is not a deprivation, but rather a reminder of what you have been blessed with. By depriving self of your blessings, you remember them with more appreciation (Mom H.)
I enjoyed this quote, Quahom. May I reuse it? And if so, to whom would I credit it?
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
wil
UNeyeR1

wil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to all

Great timing to resurect a 6 year old thread.

In our tradition we don't 'give up' anything we are simply going to 'take up' 40 days later.

What we do is utilize those 40 days as springboard to changing a detrimental habit and taking up a new one....so the 40 days of fasting is fasting from something we want to eliminate permanently from our lives.

Now this could be something material, like smoking, drinking, or meat. Or it coud be something like negativity, sarcasm, or blame.

Tis a good time to make a change, unlike a New Years Resolution, the period of time provides those 40 days to be 'resolute' and to die (paul I die daily) to the old you, and 'resurect' the new you.

Happy Lenten Journey to all who participate.
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Spiritus ubi vult spirat

Thomas is a glorious beacon of lightThomas is a glorious beacon of lightThomas is a glorious beacon of lightThomas is a glorious beacon of lightThomas is a glorious beacon of light

"Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."
(Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23)

The outward observations of Lent, the kiddie's giving up sweets, or swearing at mum, have come to define the 40 period in the minds of many, but really it is far more than this.

The Christian Way is, as Christ said, the Way of the Cross, and 'taking up one's cross' requires prior preparation — self denial — a period of spiritual preparation and spiritual formation, generally treated under the one heading of spiritual ascesis. The forty day period reflects Christ's own preparations in the wilderness prior to the commencement of his ministry.

Most people today baulk at the idea of self denial, under any other terms than the kind of thing necessary to get what they want. The idea of surrendering one's 'autonomy' and 'freedom' to a doctrine seems unnatural. It does not occur that the 'freedom' and 'autonomy' they cherish is neither realm nor meaningful in the first place. (As one Buddhist master has said, what people in the West mean by freedom is the ability to chase the next whim or novelty without hindrance. It never occurs that real freedom and real autonomy first requires self-possession, and that takes discipline.)

The Way of the Cross need not, however, be seen as a via dolorosa:
"Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light."

Lent reaches its climax in the Liturgical Vigil after dusk on Holy Saturday:
The Service of Light, The Liturgy of the Word, The Liturgy of Baptism, the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Christ is risen, and we are risen in Him.

God bless,

Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Dangerous Dinner

Saltmeister is a jewel in the roughSaltmeister is a jewel in the roughSaltmeister is a jewel in the roughSaltmeister is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Most people today baulk at the idea of self denial, under any other terms than the kind of thing necessary to get what they want. The idea of surrendering one's 'autonomy' and 'freedom' to a doctrine seems unnatural. It does not occur that the 'freedom' and 'autonomy' they cherish is neither realm nor meaningful in the first place. (As one Buddhist master has said, what people in the West mean by freedom is the ability to chase the next whim or novelty without hindrance. It never occurs that real freedom and real autonomy first requires self-possession, and that takes discipline.)
The trouble with the way you're saying this is that you're finding fault in the individual without explaining why they should find fault in themselves. Sin must have negative consequences and if there are no negative consequences why should one feel guilty? People don't believe in futile guilt trips.

If you had said that self-denial is important or useful because of the economic and ecological consequences of selfishness, self-indulgence or hedonism, it would be more likely for people to agree with you.

What are the consequences of hedonism, materialism and consumerism? The consequences are damage to our environment. It is not merely about being spiritual or worrying about one's place in heaven or the afterlife. The consequences are real in this world, in the earthly realm.

Capitalism and the desire to emulate, follow or surpass the wealth, accomplishments and achievements of your next-door neighbour ramps up people's consumption. People in the Western world and developed countries have higher living conditions than those in poorer parts of our world and yet, they can't get enough. Enough is never enough. Bigger is never big enough. Better is never good enough. We have to keep chasing, chasing, chasing because yesterday's big is today's small. You will never catch up to your next-door neighbour because tomorrow, he'll have something else up his sleeve.

The developed world is like a parasite that consumes more and more and more. This exponential rate of consumption has consequences on the world's ecology. Rivers dry up. Waterways belch with pollution and industrial waste. Toxic gases fill the atmosphere. People aren't worrying about having enough food to go around. They worry about profit margins and economic growth. (Remember Jesus' story about the man who wanted to build bigger barns?)

It's a competitive world where you have to be either better or at least as good as everyone else. If you're not, you fall behind the game. If life were a game, then we're playing a zero-sum game. If there are winners, then there must also be losers. In the present generation, the Western world is winning and the environment is losing.

The way to change the game is to tell people that self-denial is worth it. We can't all be winners can we? But if you don't want to lose, you can at least strive for a draw. If you're not going to starve to death, die and commit suicide, you can go for the middle ground where nobody wins, nobody loses. Everyone draws. This is the point of being spiritual. It is where you recognise the economic consequences of your actions and take a more moderate approach to life. You will neither win nor lose. Instead, you pursue a balance.

Spirituality is about recognising that there is power in you. That power does not come from wealth or material achievements. The power and pleasure that most people pursue today is external. Spirituality is about embracing the internal. When we realise how much power we have inside us, we can "say no" to the pressure to seek external power. The motivation to seek the internal, however, often comes from recognising that the pursuit of external power actually destroys the natural world. Guilt trips are getting old .........
Saltmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: