Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > General > Lounge

Lounge forget your differences and simply relax - no religion or politics here, please!

Old 06-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

brian is on a distinguished road
spiritual music

What music do people use when they feel in a more relaxed, peaceful - even spiritual - mood?

May sound daft but I still absolutely love the second and third Dreadzone albums - "Second Light" and "Biological Radio" - both of which have ambient sounds which are involved enough to keep you listening.

Also broke out the Ravi Shankar this week. He's been gathering dust for a long time - when I first bought it I couldn't focus on it properly. Still can't, but it makes for some very nice basckground music. Baby Skye loves dancing to it as well.

Phil Thornton's "Pharaoh" is another I can really get into - I also write to that. Great sound.

brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Talia is on a distinguished road
Re:spiritual music

I like anything with harps and flute in and anything with real folk in such as Irish. If you get a few real musicians in your room playing old gig on the fiddle and drums it beats any hifi! I used to like enya but I found it all a bit false and the same after a awhile. Some of its good but not all that great now. I used to like clannad as well but I've gone off them a bit though check out theyre earlier stuff before they did robin.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Eldanuumea is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eldanuumea

There is a French community named Taize that has some extraordinarily worshipful choral music out.
I like the Irish group Iona, and the solo albums of Maire Brennan.
Celtic music in general....Davy Spillane's pipes, Katie McMahon's voice.
Michael Card....Rich Mullins.....Third Day

Believe it or not, some of Pat Metheny's stuff puts me into an intensely positive, reflective mood.
Eldanuumea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm afraid I have no idea about a lot of those names. Is that because I'm cultural recluse, or is it simply because omse have not travelled well across the pond?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Arch is on a distinguished road

To cast a dangerous cliche, doesn't *all* music touch our spirit in some form?
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Eldanuumea is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Eldanuumea

Greetings, Arch, adore your avatar.
You are right, music is by its nature a spiritual thing, touching parts of us we don't always allow to be touched. For myself, there are some pieces of music which, when I hear them, produce a positive, life-affirming feeling in me, or perhaps get me to think of important things I sometimes forget.
Eldanuumea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I certainly agree about music touching us.

And if anyone would prefer a different avatar then feel free to contact myself. I had to upload Arch's specially, as it was too large for the normal upload feature.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
General Member

Dave the Web is on a distinguished road

I guess it could be sid that all music truly touches our spirit. But does it always do so in the spiritual sense? I do not think some music touches positively at all.
Dave the Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

JeremiahAlexis is on a distinguished road
Spiritual Musicians Here?

Hey y'all. I'm a new member by the name of JeremiahAlexis, and I just want to say that it's wonderful to have found a place where all those chasing the Spirit can congregate and seemingly leave their dogmas at the door.

I'm a member of a two man musical collective known as TaoBrothers and like this site, we believe our mission is to bring Spiritual truths to light, through music and ministry. Our core beliefs lie in Christ and the Tao, but we are open to anything that resounds of the Spirit, and have found both of these in abundance in some seemingly strange teachings.

If you're interested in anything that you've read or simply want to hear us, our company site is www.edendust.com . We welcome all visitors, and if you like what you see, feel free to contact us.

Peace and Blessings,

JeremiahAlexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Moderator, Intro

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine will become famous soon enoughPhyllis Sidhe_Uaine will become famous soon enough
Zdrastvuitsye, hola, shalom, salaam, Dia dhuit, namastar ji, hej, konbanwa, squeak, meow, :wave:, JeremiahAlexis.

My take on music is somewhat related to something that Carlos Santana said during an interview he had a few months ago. I'll try to paraphrase it.

He was asked about a program he's involved with that gives drums to schools in California and he said that he felt that drumming would bring the students/teachers/administrators together. He later said that spirituality brings people together while religion tears people apart (that was Santana saying this, not me.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
One of Many

Location: In the deserts of Washington being trained as a poet by Samuel L. Jackson
Vajradhara will become famous soon enoughVajradhara will become famous soon enough
Namaste all,

i'm listening to a few groups currently...

i listen to a lot of compilation cd's.. things from Asia mostly... there is pretty neat Asian Underground scene that started in England and has made it's way here...

in any event... one of my favorites is a band called Dead Can Dance. not Asian, but Irish, i think. quite excellent. If you've seen the movie Baraka, the opening music is from Dead Can Dance. If you've not seen Baraka, you should. it's a powerful movie.
Vajradhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Executive Member

Netti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura about
Re: spiritual music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldanuumea View Post
...I like the Irish group Iona
Amazing band. Dave Bainbridge is one of my favorite players. I like Joanne Hogg's natural sounding voice, too. The whole band is great and so are the recordings. Be forewarned: There is much melancholy.... if you like that kind of thing (I do). The Uilliann pipes and flutes are especially heartrending. Dave's guitar lines burn. Overall very touching music.

Quote:
...and the solo albums of Maire Brennan.
She did Two Horizons as "Moya." Some people, don't know this: she is Enya's sister. Two Horizons is one of the most beautiful albums in existence.

Quote:
Believe it or not, some of Pat Metheny's stuff puts me into an intensely positive, reflective mood.
I believe it. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls has many timeless moments.
Netti-Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
wil
UNeyeR1

wil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to all

Whatta lovely thread to open up!!

try this one
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Executive Member

Netti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura about

Here's one :

After All - Featuring Jael - AOL Video
Netti-Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
in essence

Ciel is on a distinguished road

Friends............

MySpace.com - Deva Premal & Miten - The Yoga of Sacred Song & Chant - UK - Other - www.myspace.com/devapremalmiten

- c -
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: