Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Modern Religions > Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna The Hare Krishna movement, ISKCON, and Swami Prabhupada

Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vassal

c0de has a spectacular aura aboutc0de has a spectacular aura aboutc0de has a spectacular aura about
Re: The absolute knowledge of the absolute God is impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegal View Post
What about Adam and Eve?

If your referring to the 'original sin', then according to
the Quran Adam disobeyed God not because he chose
to go against God's will while being fully cognizant of
the consequences. This might be the biblical view, but
it is not the Quranic view.

Adam sinned because of forgetfulness. And Eve, well,
she had nothing to do with it. Besides, they were not
always in God's presence. Much time passed between
the point of God's warning and the actual act, whatever
it really was (literal or metaphorical).

But that is the story from the point of view
of the Quran.

btw, I forgot to address the second part of your post last time:

Quote:
Now that's really interesting. Compare this to something Jesus said:
Luke 7
36 Then one of the Pharisees invited Him to eat with him. He entered the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37 And a woman in the town who was a sinner found out that Jesus was reclining at the table in the Pharisee's house. She brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil 38 and stood behind Him at His feet, weeping, and began to wash His feet with her tears. She wiped His feet with the hair of her head, kissing them and anointing them with the fragrant oil. 39 When the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, "This man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what kind of woman this is who is touching Him—she's a sinner!"
40 Jesus replied to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you."
"Teacher," he said, "say it."
41 "A creditor had two debtors. One owed 500 denarii, and the other 50. 42 Since they could not pay it back, he graciously forgave them both. So, which of them will love him more?"
43 Simon answered, "I suppose the one he forgave more."
"You have judged correctly," He told him. 44 Turning to the woman, He said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she, with her tears, has washed My feet and wiped them with her hair. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but she hasn't stopped kissing My feet since I came in. 46 You didn't anoint My head with oil, but she has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that's why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
49 Those who were at the table with Him began to say among themselves, "Who is this man who even forgives sins?"
50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."
Those who are forgiven much love much...extending mercy builds love.

That is a great passage. Thank you SG
Especially the last sentence: "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

Personally, I have been struck by a verse in the Quran
that was pointed out to me once which relates to our
discussion here. It tells the story of Moses when he was
called to God at the side of the mountain, and God spoke
to him and commanded him to go to Egypt and warn.
Now, Pharaoh is considered to be evil incarnate, yet
this is what God said to Moses regarding Pharaoh:

Go to Pharaoh; he has overstepped the bounds. But speak to him with gentle words so that hopefully he will pay heed or show some fear. (Surah Ta Ha: 43-44)

This is what God instructed against the man who was challenging the might of God directly.
c0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Executive Member

Dream is just really niceDream is just really niceDream is just really niceDream is just really niceDream is just really nice
Re: The absolute knowledge of the absolute God is impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaswami
..... The absolute God comes in human form to give you the experience of His existence........God comes in human form, which is characterized by the awareness or chit.

At the Lotus Feet of His Holiness Sri Dattaswami

Anil Antony
You are saying basically that God is experienced through humanity but that he cannot be understood? This experience comes through 'chit' or awareness, however it cannot be considered absolute knowledge? Hare Krishnas believe chanting is enough to receive this awareness and that when the world begins to lose its 'chit' individuals experience it more strongly, thus to return the world's chit awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srila Prabhupada quoted from wikipedia Hare Krishna article
...Krishna consciousness is not an artificial imposition on the mind; this consciousness is the original energy of the living entity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhagavad-gita 4.7 found on harekrishna.com
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend Myself.
You know it actually sounds related to a flavor of gnostic thought and maybe to Christianity, too. I honestly think something like this is in John's works at least, and I know it definitely reminds me of the 'lively stones' concept. I don't know anything about chanting, however I do know having a positive attitude is important.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: