Interafaith: Comparative religion: world religions

Go Back   Interfaith forums > Religion, Faith, and Theology > Belief and Spirituality

Belief and Spirituality General thinking beyond the boundaries of religion and organised belief

Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #106 (permalink)
Say Meow.

immortalitylost has a spectacular aura aboutimmortalitylost has a spectacular aura aboutimmortalitylost has a spectacular aura about
Re: the deep flaw in both PRAYER and MEDITATION

Oh, I just read a post that didn't show up before or something...

I wasn't dismissing the tests, just my weird sense of humor, I guess...

No sarcasm intended!

In either post!

Seriously, don't fall!

immortalitylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #107 (permalink)
Nimrod

China Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil View Post
I always think of the likes of Dali Lama, Ghandi, Mother Theresa, am I wrong?
These folks had the good fortune to find a cause to utterly lose themselves in. I feel the danger of slipping into the semantic quicksand here. Yes, they were/are "selfless" in the sense that we usually mean, but even the most enlightened person is never without a self. Who tells them when it's time to go to the bathroom?

Chris
China Cat Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #108 (permalink)
?

earl has a spectacular aura aboutearl has a spectacular aura aboutearl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Cat Sunflower View Post
These folks had the good fortune to find a cause to utterly lose themselves in. I feel the danger of slipping into the semantic quicksand here. Yes, they were/are "selfless" in the sense that we usually mean, but even the most enlightened person is never without a self. Who tells them when it's time to go to the bathroom?

Chris
hard to argue with the bladder, particularly as you get up in years. so pretty much it's in control. I pee therefore I am. earl
earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #109 (permalink)
Nimrod

China Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really niceChina Cat Sunflower is just really nice

Here's the thing Wil: you might ask me, knowing something about my spiritual outlook as you do, if I admit that prayer and meditation help alleviate the existential anxieties of human existence, why don't I do those things myself? If I know that belief for belief's sake works, why not embrace it? The answer is that I can't. I can't just decide to believe. Why? Because, and this goes straight to the OP, I think therefore I am. Masturbatory intellectual activities, regardless of their psychological efficacy, circumvent my ability to practice the first commandment, which is "know thyself." I can't know myself and pretend that parts of me are some divine other. That covers prayer. The reason I can't meditate is that it takes yet another self to make me go sit. I can't sit. It hurts, I don't like it, and I just won't do it.

I do find it funny and ironic that I had to completely deconstruct and dissolve my "faith" in order to appreciate the essential nature and efficacy of faith. Now that I know how it works I can't use it.

Chris
China Cat Sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #110 (permalink)
wil
UNeyeR1

wil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to all

Namaste Chris,

As to the 'enlightened' I don't think they lose self, but ego, the need for the self to be right or better. They become in this world but not of it.

As to the knowledge getting in the way of practice...to me it is like typing. Yeah the hunt and peck served me well, but taking the time to learn to touch type simply took daily practice, baby steps and now I don't type letters. I type words and sentences, I don't think of t h i s o r t h a t....my fingers just type this or that as it is all connected.

Same with meditation and prayer and belief...if you have an inkling that it is something you want to try...try it...fake it till you make it....try 'as if'....use it as an experiment...do it scientifically and monitor the results.

I do know a little of you from the time we've spent together on this board. I know an incredible thinker, a soul I believe I coulld rely on if I asked, and I'd love to see you absolutely comfortable in the skin your in.

My mantra in life that has served me well...in any situation, no matter how disconcerting...."I don't remember standing in line and signing up for this class....but I know one thing, I want to pass it. As I do not want to fail and have to take it over."... "If I'm gonna laugh about it later, I may as well laugh about it now"....and "I don't know how, and I can't see how...but I do know it is all good"

peace bro.
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #111 (permalink)
Embracing the Mystery

path_of_one is just really nicepath_of_one is just really nicepath_of_one is just really nicepath_of_one is just really nicepath_of_one is just really nice

On faking it til you make it, I highly recommend "The Year of Living Biblically." Funny, endearing, and demonstrates this exact concept.

Amazon.com: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible: A. J. Jacobs: Books
path_of_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #112 (permalink)
Executive Member

Netti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Cat Sunflower View Post
Here's the thing Wil: you might ask me, knowing something about my spiritual outlook as you do, if I admit that prayer and meditation help alleviate the existential anxieties of human existence, why don't I do those things myself? If I know that belief for belief's sake works, why not embrace it? The answer is that I can't. I can't just decide to believe. Why? Because, and this goes straight to the OP, I think therefore I am.
I think of both prayer and meditation as being noncognitive. My impression is that both Christian "contemplatives" and Buddhists have practices that pretty much put both thought and sensory experience on the back burner, so to speak. In Buddhism, the mind is considered another organ.
Netti-Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #113 (permalink)
Why do cows say mu?

seattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netti-Netti View Post
I think of both prayer and meditation as being noncognitive. My impression is that both Christian "contemplatives" and Buddhists have practices that pretty much put both thought and sensory experience on the back burner, so to speak. In Buddhism, the mind is considered another organ.
Nice pun. (contemplate-jhana-burn.) Was it intentional?
seattlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #114 (permalink)
Executive Member

Netti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura aboutNetti-Netti has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegal View Post
Nice pun. (contemplate-jhana-burn.) Was it intentional?
Not a conscious one.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #115 (permalink)
Why do cows say mu?

seattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of lightseattlegal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netti-Netti View Post
Not a conscious one.
....(ten character minimum.)
seattlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #116 (permalink)
wil
UNeyeR1

wil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to allwil is a name known to all

darn funny
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #117 (permalink)
wil
UNeyeR1

a single space is a character evidently
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #118 (permalink)
One of Many

Location: In the deserts of Washington being trained as a poet by Samuel L. Jackson
Vajradhara will become famous soon enoughVajradhara will become famous soon enough

Namaste all,

interesting thread. i would have to, in principle, disagree with the OP's characterization of mediation in relation specifically to Buddhist meditation, though i certainly recognize the other forms of meditation which exist.

Buddhist meditation produces physiological changes in the brain:

Meditation increases brain gray matter

Meditation Alters Brain Structure, Functioning

Meditation Associated With Increased Grey Matter In The Brain

so leaving aside questions of ego and self and such, there is a direct, positive benefit for beings that engage in Buddhist meditation.

metta,

~v
Vajradhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #119 (permalink)
Vassal

c0de has a spectacular aura aboutc0de has a spectacular aura aboutc0de has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegal View Post
....(ten character minimum.)

invisible ink FTW!!
c0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #120 (permalink)
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0de View Post
invisible ink FTW!!
invisible ink FTW!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: