US a nation of cowards on racial matters

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by YO-ELEVEN-11, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

[quote="Yo-Eleven-11" ]Personally I feel he that if Obama is going to President, then he will have to deal with stuff like this and look past any overt or intentional racism....IMHO

Any thoughts? [/quote] I suspect that the President will ignore it. President Obama would not publicly (probably not even outwardly) let this tick him off. He will let himself get ticked about actual racial discrimination, etc. Petty insults are beneath response by a US President, because it scares people when Presidents get ticked off. Anyway, it makes you look bad when you're too easy to rile up. It is actually one tactic people use to discredit others. (See The Catbird Seat a short story by James Thurber)

Ancient advice: Proverbs 19:11 "Good sense makes a man slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense."

2. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

The president can ignore it. He's achieved the highest office in the land. It's easy for him to overlook the slight.

The people who'll have a harder time being so magnanimous are those who still feel the sting of poverty or marginalization, those who have spent years breaking down the stereotypes only to have this most base insult thrust in their faces again.

3. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

True. Of course I think the same thing holds true for both presidents and low paid workers. Sometimes the deck is stacked against you, so you've got to use your poker face. Other times not. You mentioned breaking stereotypes: Breaking stereotypes involves getting people to recognize racial prejudice, but its not a hard and fast rule that you have to raise the flag every time you see it. You can go either way, and neither way is wrong though one might work better on a given day. The cool customer gets the best price.

4. Nick_A

Nick_A Interfaith Forums

Why not look at the cartoon

New York Post Chimp Cartoon Compares Stimulus Author To Dead Primate

The cop says: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulis bill." Who wrote the stimulis bill? A bunch of congressman when taken together comprise a complete monkey. How many blacks are in congress? So who are the monkeys.

After what was directed at Sarah Palin where no one objected, you really have the nerve to get upset over this? Sheesh! Is there no limit to liberal hypocrisy?

5. citizenzen

None at all Nicky. As you well know we won't be happy until every last conservative is forced onto our collective farm and re-educated.

Why, just today I called the uniform shop and had them make a Mao jacket specially for you... extra short, extra stout and extra dress shields to hide that perspiration problem.

6. Out of the Box

Out of the Box High-priest

To my knowledge, satire and cynicism are both types of humor.

Satire is unacceptable to you?! :confused: :eek:

It may sound silly, but for those with conservative ideas (including conservative muslems) North-America en Western-Europe is looks like a totalitarian ****hole more every day. While morals and values are melting away like ice, censorship is increasing (especially in Western-Europe) to a point where any scientific discovery not in line with certain political dogma can lead to the financial and social destruction of the researcher in question and in some cases even imprisonment.

7. citizenzen

I guess it's just a matter of your... ahem... perspective.

Where is your head at these days OotB?

8. Out of the Box

No it's not. When people can go to jail for politically incorrect statements, you've already crossed the line of totalitarianism.

Right in front of my laptop, staring at the nonsense you've typed while adding my response. :p

9. lunamoth

lunamoth Episcopalian

Examples?

Maybe you are a proponent of ID?

10. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

Examples as Luna says would be awesome cause your words there paint this picture of western europe... that I don't see.... And I -live- in western europe....

11. Out of the Box

No, I'm not a promonent of Intelligent Design or Creationism. Intelligent Design and Creationism are religious rather than scientific topics, by the way.

Examples? Think of any scientific publications that dare question the equality of human races, for example.

12. lunamoth

lunamoth Episcopalian

I am unaware of any peer-reviewed research regarding race being suppressed. Can you give specific examples?

I would be interested to hear what value you find in research that attempts to find differences in equality among races though.

13. citizenzen

Could you please provide examples where liberals have jailed conservatives simply for making politically incorrect statements?

14. Nick_A

Nick_A Interfaith Forums

I am. I'll stick with Einstein and Simone rather than agree with snobbish liberal ridicule.

15. lunamoth

lunamoth Episcopalian

OK, so you can link us to some ID original research then?

16. Janz

Janz What's Amatta U

Follow these links for what I believe to be excellent discussions:

Baratunde Thurston: The Connection Between Blacks As Apes And Police Brutality

Studies Expose ‘Apelike' Stereotype Among Whites

The notion that people of African descent are somehow apelike is stubbornly stuck in white Americans' subconscious, according to a series of six studies.

Miller-McCune | Article | Comparing Black People to Apes Seems Stuck in White Americans' Minds

Another interesting article:
    Miller-McCune | Article | Primate Comparisons Dog Racial Discourse

Another good editorial:

Michael Fauntroy: The Cartoon and Trafficking in Racial Symbolism

17. Out of the Box

In academia, the work of researchers like Lynn, Rushton or Jensen are suppressed or distorted and the men themselves are consistently defamed, ...

I find value in all science. To understand ourselves, we must first study science and then fill the gaps with a spiritual philosophy.

Frank Rennecke is a German who was put in jail for singing songs that praised the nazis. Brigitte Bardot was fined for making critical remarks about Muslems. The Vlaams Blok party (Belgium) was banned for its suggestive use of statistics with regards to immigrants. Ernst Zündel, Germar Rudolf and many more were banned for disputing the claim that Hitler killed 6 million Jews. Erwin Kessler even went to jail for two months for writing that Jews who practice ritual slaughter of cattle are no better than concentration-camp guards.

Those are just a handful out of many examples of censorship in Western-Europe.

18. Nick_A

Nick_A Interfaith Forums

It isn't a matter of new research but in becoming aware of an addditional dimension to our limited scope of reality. The only reason science doesn't yet appreciate intelligent design is because it primarily is based on the classic logic the Law of the Excluded Middle.

To really appreciate ID one must become aware of the Law of the Included Middle. Then ID becomes logical.

19. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

I couldn't access the studies you referenced, so I can't really comment on them. Abstract only here

Here's a study from the current edition of the same journal that basically says that whites have a tendency to behave as if they are "walking on eggs" (my own summary) regarding race when brought into work an interaction project where they are partnered with a black person. It explores the tendency for whites to adapt a "color blindness" strategy in order to avoid being perceived as being racist. Often times this color-blindness strategy backfires. It's really rather interesting.

Seeing Race and Seeming Racist? Evaluating Strategic Colorblindness in Social Interaction

So, is propagating racial-sensitivity paranoia in whites going to do anything to ease racism, or will it also backfire when it comes to addressing racism? Something to think about.

20. citizenzen

Gee, I don't know... is propagating sexual-sensitivity (I'll choose not to call it "paranoia") in men going to do anything to erase sexism?

BTW, I like my coffee black... and pick me up a bagel while you're at it.

And you should wear more tight sweaters. They make you look more... intelligent.