US a nation of cowards on racial matters

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by YO-ELEVEN-11, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Yes, it's all quite complicated. As a matter of fact, my head just exploded. :confused:

As for White History Month, that would be an interesting one. With black history, you may be looking at a more distinct group of individuals: "African Americans" certainly have their own sub-cultures, but they also have a distinctly shared history and common culture, I think. I'd like to see people define "white history" or even "white". What do those terms mean? To whom do they refer? Are we talking about European Americans? If so, let's go ahead and take a look at the history. Might need to start another thread, though. Or you might find that "white" has become a generic label used to describe anything that is culturally normative in America and Europe. Now why would you need to set aside a special month to celebrate and explore what is on parade 365 days a year? :rolleyes:

2. Pathless

That is so unlike you.

BTW, your monkey "I can't believe that you just said that!" avatar really jibes with this thread nicely.

3. Janz

Janz What's Amatta U

Thank you...and I would like to nominate March as Irish American Month. Want to talk about an oppressed group? Let's talk about the history of Ireland and the Irish Diaspora.

Just finished watching a an independent film called Heaven's Fall about the Scottsboro Boys. Who can tell me that they learned about this trial in their American History books? Probably not since the American Communist Party was responsible for bringing this injustice to light. Have a read:

Scottsboro Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a shorter read see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsboro:_An_American_Tragedy

This really wasn't that long ago, all things considered.

4. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

Considering the two party system in the US has become a facist system that so many are brainwashed into belieivng is the only way, it is no surprise that neither red or blue can deal well with post slavery issues. The system has other plans and is not all that concerned about this one. Lumpy carpets are nice for them to trip on.

5. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

I don't think it's the only way.

I wonder though, how hard it would be to change the system.

Who knows?

Maybe it would be so easy that we'd wonder what took us so long.

6. greymare

greymare Well-Known Member

lol, i have a problem, (apart from the obvious)!!! i cannot bring up the next page on this forum,,, it just sends me back to this page. !!!!!!!!?????? Im going round incircles...

7. Pathless

Greymare, there is a glitch in this thread. It pretends there's an extra page when actually there isn't. There's a secret reason for that, but I am not at liberty to share. :cool: I've said too much. :p

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

At the risk of getting stomped all over I'm wondering when and how one changes from one race to another.

Let's start. Well first we've got these Irish-Americans and Italian Americans and African Americans...does that occur over there? Yakov Schmirnoff says, 'only in America'. You can go to Russia but you will never become Russian, you can go to France and you will never become French, you can go to China and never become Chinese, only in America can you come here and become an American. And then what do we do afterword...we say we are RussianAmerican.

As I see it we just elected our first Black President. But did we? Why is he black? Is he black, mixed or mulato, or can we not say that? Is it as long as you can't 'pass' (is that word out of use since segregation?) you are black? And how long are you black? We know with our native, our indegenous Americans they'll claim they are Indian to 1/8, 1/16 and less, proudly I have Indian blood in me.

And we think we have racial issues and skin color issues. Today in families that are Asian Indian or Black I here them discussing skin color...and skin color of the babies born. "Oh I hope they have children like her, he is too dark, and his father is blue black" Even amongst black people, there are issues of being too black, and predjudice against it?

Now me, I'm a mutt, third generation mutt, you'd have to go back quite a way to find a purebread anything in my past. According to most DNA stuff I've read most of us have 'black' blood in us, sometimes more than we think becuase we have percentage from this line, from that and from the other...yet we'll get all worked up about who is what and what is who.

I think our great great grandchildren when most are tan, or beige will chuckle about today.

9. Joedjr

Joedjr A Sometimes Member

Yea but, I'm sure there will be some other thing that will be the stumbling block.

10. Faithfulservant

Faithfulservant Well-Known Member

Dang.. I hate it when Im trying to give rep and it tells me to spread some more around first... I must be picky on who deserves it.. lol Nice post wil and I couldnt agree more.

11. juantoo3

juantoo3 ....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Good post wil.

You brought up something that has puzzled me all along about Obama though...is he really "black?"

I mean, skin color aside, he was raised by a white mother and white grandparents in wonder bread middle class "luxury" (how many of us got to grow up in Hawaii?) with middle class white values, and got to attend Harvard Law school. If his skin color were no more than a high class suntan he could passably still be right where he is at now. I've just always had a difficult time justifying to myself that Obama is actually, in any practical sense of the term, "black." If I may dare for a moment to tread thin ice...isn't he what used to be called "OREO?"

But yeah, Richard Rodriguez I think is the guy's name, he occasionally does some essays for the NewsHour on PBS. He did an essay a little while back about the "browning" of America, that points to exactly what you pointed at...how in a couple hundred years Americans will all likely be "brown skinned."

12. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

I know a couple of black men who have white-skinned biological grandchildren, as well as dark-skinned grandchildren. (They married white women, and their daughters married white or mixed-race men.) Why all of the fuss?

13. Pathless

14. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Only ONE race and that is human.

15. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

We all bleed red.

16. Nick_A

Nick_A Interfaith Forums

This must be continually verified and it is the purpose of war to do just that.

17. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

I agree with your tongue in cheek comment and will add that war has more to do with profit than anything else.