Iran Reportedly Close to Production Capability of a Nuke

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Resigned, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lunamoth

lunamoth Episcopalian

Not to mention disco.

2. c0de

c0de Vassal

don't knock it till u try it ;)

[​IMG]

3. Janz

Janz What's Amatta U

Gotta love the Bee Gees:

"Whether you're a brother
    Or whether you're a mother,
    You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
    Feel the city breakin'
    And ev'rybody shakin'
    And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
    Ah, ha, ha, ha,
    Stayin' alive.
    Stayin' alive.
    Ah, ha, ha, ha,
    Stayin' alive."

:p :eek:

4. lunamoth

lunamoth Episcopalian

The whole Saturday Night Fever Sountrack rocks!

Yes, my disco past comes back to haunt me. :p

5. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I think ballistic weapons might be outmoded. Shields, laser and EMP defenses continue to improve, along with AI targeting. If ballistic nukes lose their major strategic effectiveness, it will become easier to decommission them. Another thing is that most countries are tired of worrying about nuclear winter, so if things come together just right we may see a governmental willingness to do away with nukes. Maybe within, oh, 20 years.

6. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

What do most posters in this forum think of Ahmadinejad ? Are we entering a period in history where Iran is trying to become the dominating power in the Middle East ? If this happens will it be good or bad for the M.E. ? Is Iran the most fundamentalist country in the M.E. or is it Saudi Arabia or other ?

7. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

You mean other than the fact that he needs a good shave and nicer coat?

I think he's the president of Iran. I think we need to treat him and his country with respect. I think we need to engage Iran diplomatically in order to forge some common ground between them and the west.

I think that any desire to engage Iran militarily is a horrible mistake, not because the operation might fail, but because sooner or later we will have to realize that violence and war are barbaric and unnecessary.

We do not need to dominate and destroy others to achieve our goals. Peaceful coexistence is within our grasp. When will we finally realize this? When will we finally act like the civilized, intelligent beings we claim to be?

8. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

You are on fire, bro! Huzzah! :)

9. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Hi Citizenzen, thanks for responding to my question.

Since I am new to this forum I do not know your perspective. So I have a few questions more for you. Why do you think we should treat Ahmadinejad diplomatically ? Do you think he has shown himself to operate in good faith ? Do you have any religious allegiance in this situation ?

Do you feel that violence and war should always be avoided, are you a pacifist ? I do not believe that pacifism was the proper direction when Europe chose that path leading to WWII.

Do you believe that Ahmadinejad is a peaceful man ?

Can you also give me your thoughts on my other questions which I asked on the earlier post ?

Thanks.

10. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

I tried to edit to give more of my thoughts, but I was locked out :confused: (newbie problem :eek: ).

I do not believe Ahmadinejad operates in good faith. I lost a lot of respect for him when he held the "holocaust denyers" conference and brought in the ultra-orthodox Israelis to put them on the world stage.

Also, his recent approach of sending missiles into space demonstrates where he is headed. He is trying to achieve regional dominance. I do not believe he is a peaceful man.

11. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

I still don't get the bent logic behind it.... Oh let us keep this really really nasty killing tool. Why is -anyone- allowed such freaking creations of destruction...

12. Out of the Box

Out of the Box High-priest

Ask that to the UN.

I must agree with citizenzen on this one. As long as a single nation has access to nuclear weapons, they all should. There is no better way to prevent a nation from using nukes than giving nukes to his enemies. Does the mutual destruction principle ring a bell?! ;)

13. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

I don't think we've given him the opportunity to demonstrate whether he operates in good faith or bad. Engage Iran diplomatically and it should become evident what sort of faith he deals in.

I am zen Buddhist. I have allegiance with all beings, even poorly shaved ones.

Yes, I am a pacifist. When we possess so many tools to solve problems, why do we continually reach for invasion, destruction and death?

WWII may be the only "justifiable" war that I can think of.

14. Out of the Box

WWII doesn't differ that much from other 20th century wars, you know...

15. 17th Angel

As I stated in my previous post... No one should have these, no one... So I will skip passed your usual agenda of attacking the west/mostly america lol..... And just ask why is it marvelous news for someone to have the technology to kill millions?

16. Out of the Box

Because when both sides have it, the chances of either side using it decreases. Again, I'd like to refer to the mutual destruction principle.

Obviously the world would be better off is none had access to nuclear bombs, but unfortunately that's not reality and it would be naieve to believe that this will or could change within the next few decades.

17. Out of the Box

Actually, the correct term is Mutual assured destruction and not Mutual destruction.

From Wikipedia (Mutual assured destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) :

18. farhan

farhan Well-Known Member

because others have it too...either nobody should have them, or everybody....something like that i guess ;)

19. 17th Angel

Ok fair enough lol.... I think the latter is a bad idea though :p It's like hey I know how to stop gun crime... If we all have guns! :D

20. Out of the Box

If the logical consequence of shooting someone would be getting shot yourself, then the number of gun crimes would indeed seriously decrease.