British comedians petition Iranian government

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
Russell Brand Says Human Rights No Joke

9:31am UK, Thursday February 26, 2009
Fifteen of Britain's top comedians have signed an open letter calling for the Iranian government to respect the human rights of its citizens.

15135827.jpg
Russell Brand was among the 15 signatories to the letter

The stars include Russell Brand, David Baddiel, Jimmy Carr, Jack Dee and Jo Brand.
They say they are "deeply concerned" at the imprisonment of seven leaders of the Baha'i community in Iran.
In a letter to the Times, they say their only 'crime' is holding different religious beliefs.
"We join (those) who have so far raised their voices calling for a fair trial, if not the complete release of the Baha'i leaders in Iran," they say.
The letter goes on: "Spurious charges now look likely to be filed against these Baha'is in the Revolutionary Court.

15230138.jpg
Comedian David Baddiel

"'Espionage for Israel, insulting religious sanctities and propaganda against the Islamic republic' are their alleged crimes.
"In reality, their only "crime", which the current regime finds intolerable, is that they hold a religious belief that is different from the majority."
The letter says no formal evidence has been brought against the Baha'i leaders.
Nor have they given access to their legal counsel, the Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi.
All Baha'i institutions were banned by the Iranian government following the 1979 Islamic revolution.
The letter was signed by David Baddiel, Bill Bailey, Morwenna Banks, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Jo Brand, Russell Brand, Rob Brydon, Jimmy Carr, Jack Dee, Omid Djalili, Sean Lock, Lee Mack, Alexei Sayle, Meera Syal and Mark Thomas.

Russell Brand is perhaps not the best person to be seen fighting on your side - unless he's planning to make some obscene phone calls to Ahmadinejad. ;)

9:31am UK, Thursday February 26, 2009
Fifteen of Britain's top comedians have signed an open letter calling for the Iranian government to respect the human rights of its citizens.

Any other groups besides comedians taking an interest??

Thanks Netti Netti and Brian for your posts and welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

Actually most of the comedians who joined this petition were not themselves Baha'is but that's alright since they agree that religious liberty is an imprtant principle to stand up for!

Omid Djalili is a Baha'i.

I posted this because I thought it was an unusual item.

Both the United States Congress

House passes resolution condemning the persecution of Baha'is in Iran | Bahai Faith | Baha'i Faith

and the EU

EU@UN - EU Presidency Declaration on the situation of religious minorities in Iran

have recently passed resolutions on this and in the past there have been more than a few resolutions passed by the United Nations General Assembly on the plight of religious minorities in Iran .. The last one sponsored as I recall by Canada.

- Art:)

Back