Debaptise Yourself!

One way to look at this is as a ceremony more for the parents than the baby.

Can you imagine how crushed the parents would be if the child died unbaptized?

It's really just a religious insurance policy.

Atheists should just let it go.

Yes, I can see the ceremony is for the parents, like a funeral is for the living. But once the child is no longer a child…?

What does it mean if a person goes through adult life not thinking of themselves as a Christian then to be buried at their passing, in a Christian church? Is the Christian church happy with that?

I’m reminded of Princess Diana, who campaigned for an international ban on landmines. At her funeral her coffin was transported on a horse-drawn gun carriage. I’m not a royalist, but to me, this seemed rather sad.

s.

"The growing amount of interest in the concept of de-baptism indicates that people are not just indifferent to religion – which has been the traditional British approach – but are actually becoming quite hostile to it."
- Terry Sanderson. President, National Secular Society​

Funny thing about humans, instead of just moving on past beliefs they have outgrown the pendulum must swing far to the other side. And of course this incites those who believe to become defensive to the point of aggressive political action like we see here in the states (e.g. Focus on the Family and other groups)
Karen Armstrong has often commented on just this type of behavior, and encourages people to understand the pain behind the aggressive stance.

I wonder if there are enough adults in the world to be able to do this?

Yes, I can see the ceremony is for the parents, like a funeral is for the living. But once the child is no longer a child…?

I see where you're going with this.

We need the Catholic Church to put expiration dates on their baptisms...

Good Until 2027

Something like that.

I see where you're going with this.

We need the Catholic Church to put expiration dates on their baptisms...

Good Until 2027

Something like that.

You've put flesh on my bones!

Well it's good enough for driving licences and passports. And we're less fickle about wanting to be a traveller. :)

s.

I think its too sad to be funny, but I'm still laughing. What is wrong with me?

Isn't debaptizing yourself a little like trying to get your virginity back?

I wouldn't say it was too much like it.:)
Baptism is done without the baptised person's consent (usually) whereas your example concerns the loss of something that is given ("lost") with consent of all parties involved.

s.

It really does not boder me if I was baptised or not. Spiritually I am who I am without the need of any external ceremonies.

Hermano Luis

Isn't debaptizing yourself a little like trying to get your virginity back?

snoopy says:
I wouldn't say it was too much like it.:)
Baptism is done without the baptised person's consent (usually) whereas your example concerns the loss of something that is given ("lost") with consent of all parties involved.

like regaining your integrity if you were raped without consent?:eek:

Hi! I was interested in this thread. I was Christened as a baby, but I don't view it as that different to a blessing, which is common among Baptists, Mormons, etc, who do not believe in baptising babies and very small children. I was Christened in the Church of England, but never confirmed. I feel that the Christening was more about my parents' commitment to raise me as a Christian, which they did in terms of basic values, but not in terms of religious education (received some at primary school) or encouraging me to attend church. If anything, my parents didn't fully fulfill their commitment, in this respect. My dad was actually raised as a Quaker, but is looking into converting to C. of E. now, as is my brother, who wasn't Christened as a child. I'm spiritual but not a mainstream Christian, because I don't agree with all of the doctrines and rules, and I believe in parts of other religions. I sometimes go to Quaker meetings. I don't see a need to be debaptised, in my own case. The very fact that I have not taken the next step (confirmation) means that I am not officially a Church of England Christian. Officially, I have no formal religion, but have attended C. of E. and Mormon churches since October 2007. My beliefs are personal to me. I don't mind at all that I was Christened.

Back