What's your agenda?

citizenzen

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It was inferred by a number of folks in this thread that I had an agenda behind my posts here at IO. I thought I was just talking about things, but I could be deluding myself... you never know.

An anonymous forum seems like an odd place to get anything actually accomplished. I'm having a hard time coming up with the action items. I need a little help here.

Is there anybody out there with an agenda? What do you hope to achieve? Is there anybody you suspect of having an agenda? What's the difference between an agenda and a point of view?

My kids get an agenda book to keep record of their agendas in school. If you are needing of an agenda maybe they have some extras for ya.

My agenda is to learn to spread peace and love wherever I go.

And to leave each conversation with the other feeling better about themselves.

I'm failing miserably.

funny-pictures-cat-has-naps-on-his-agenda.jpg

My agenda is to learn to spread peace and love wherever I go.

Are you familiar with the zen saying, "Only don't know"?

My agenda is "Only don't have one".

I find something always happens anyway, even without my trying to steer a result one way or another.

I promise to get more involved the moment I see nothing happen.

C

What's the difference between an agenda and a point of view?

An agenda has a desired aim and everything furthering this aim is called "good" and what interferes with this aim is called Bad. Choir logic that furthers an agenda furthers the "good" of the agenda.

A point of view expresses ideas and conclusions as an extension of a mindset. Unlike the agenda which is fixated on a specific aim, a point of view is more general and is more inclined to accept any conclusion that fits with a point of view. The point of view may be different for the artist which is different from the scientist which is also different from the athlete for example. Yet they could all have the same agenda or dedication to a specific aim coming from different points of view.

N

So why do people here keep mistaking points of view for agendas?

Do you have an agenda, or point of view?

Why do we so easily see other points of view as agenda, but not our own?

N

So why do people here keep mistaking points of view for agendas?

Do you have an agenda, or point of view?

Why do we so easily see other points of view as agenda, but not our own?

The greater the intensity of denial in defense of an aim, the more probable the agenda. Where points of view can be shared, by definition an agenda requires denial.

A point of view cannot produce a cult leader that people would kill themselves for. Yet an agenda to affirm a cult leader can produce such suicide. People didn't follow Hitler because they had a point of view. Rather they had an emotional agenda to establish the greatness of Germany through Hitler's leadership. Then they willingly go into war and seek to kill off whatever seems as an obstacle to the agenda.

I've acquired a point of view that we are in Plato's cave and oblivious of what we've lost through blind acceptance of this psychological condition. However we do have the power to awaken to the reality of the situation and become ourselves. For those like me, politics and secular humanistic values are concerned with what we do while the essence (not secular) of religion is concerned with what we are. This point of view cannot be an agenda simply because it is based on being open to an affirmation of an impartial perspective rather than denial necessary to fixate on an aim which furthers our self justification.

For those like me, politics and secular humanistic values are concerned with what we do while the essence (not secular) of religion is concerned with what we are. This point of view cannot be an agenda simply because it is based on being open to an affirmation of an impartial perspective rather than denial necessary to fixate on an aim which furthers our self justification.

So secular humanists do not concern themselves with the question of "what am I ?"

Funny. I thought most everybody did.

How naive of me!

So secular humanists do not concern themselves with the question of "what am I ?"

Funny. I thought most everybody did.

How naive of me!

Secualrism concerns itself but it is secondary. People ask themselves but quickly forget in favor of concerns with the primary importance of daily life. What matters "who am I" when the bills have to be paid and image must be preserved?

When the question becomes more serious and the answers are not in the world, a person becomes less secular and open to higher knowledge.

I spend my days installing stone in various jobsites, do one, then move on to the next.
As it is finishing work, I am usually not working with the other trades, so I have spent a lot of years having really deep thoughts with myself, I would have started having conversations with myself, but that was too distracting.
In any case, If I have any agenda at all, it is to have some interaction with other people, in a genre which I prefer over sports and all the other mundane gossip which you typically get.
Since I am a part of no religious organization, I do not have an agenda there either.
I have my opinions and personal convictions, but I am open-minded about those as well, and if I found convincing information which demanded a revision of my opinions, I would revise.
I am not emotionally attached to any of it.

My agenda is two-fold: one, to learn about other people's ideas and two, to share thoughts I have.

This forum is like a journal-prompter for me, and my posts are part of a long diary I keep about my thoughts on stuff. The rest of my diary is poetry and art and monologues, but the unique thing about an interfaith forum is that I get to keep a thought-journal in dialogue.

My point of view is that God is love, and I am called to give up myself so I can be fully filled up with God/love. I am not that consistent and I screw it up a lot, but I'm learning a bit more every day.

Is there anybody out there with an agenda? What do you hope to achieve?
I think you're paranoid. You probably think knowing someone's agenda will enable you to control their behavior or defend yourself against it. :D

Back