Obama: just another puppet

Was covered on the BBC site - along with refusing to make public the abuse photos.

So is Obama pandering to the right or just following orders from our corporate overlords at the Bilderberg Group?

Was covered on the BBC site - along with refusing to make public the abuse photos.

Also apparently did a U turn on photos of American war dead on return.

I knew the infatuation would be short lived. A politician is a politician is a politician...

Yes, more and more Obama is flip flopping on many of his campaign promises. Look at his recent move away from single-payer universal health care ie a program that eliminates private insurers and their overhead costs by having the government finance health care. In April of 2003, an ABC poll showed almost two thirds of Americans desired a single payer system run by the government and financed by taxpayers. Just like the CBS's 2009 poll shows the same percentage today. But the insurance lobbyist greased someone's palms because Obama suddenly amended (read gutted) the bill more to their liking.:mad:

The White House is working hard to squelch any single payer discussion. WTF??? Senator Max Baucus D-Montana, the administration's health care point person, announced that "everything is on the table with the single exception of single payer."

I don't know what happens when these men go to Washington..must be something in the water that turns them into zombies held hostage to special interests. The health care industry's business is based not on respectable returns but on greedy profiteering and waste. Do you all know that the insurance companies have raised their premiums by 119 percent since 1999?

Who can afford to pay for private health care insurance? My son just graduated from law school and besides working as a legal aid for several different lawyers, and incorporating as his own business, he has to work at the local medical center as an EKG Technician for 25 hours per week so he can afford to purchase health insurance for his 3 children and wife.
His share of the premium is $1200 per month.:eek: He brings home just $600 after they deduct the rest of tax obligations..but he cannot find any other private insurance that they can afford.

Sorry, I am off topic again but I continue to lose hope in our newly elected President and I should of known better. :eek:

I encourage everyone to reserve judgement until the end year 3 of his first term. Changes cannot be made overnight.

I believe that Obama's greatest contributions in his first term will be on the international landscape. His first international trip was a huge success. He has started changing our image with the people of other countries. :)

Fixing the economy will take time. It took 8-12 years to put us in this disasterous situation. It will take at least 3-4 years for his new directions to start working.

I like Obama tremendously as a person, but I've never disillusioned myself into thinking any President capable of initiating broad reform in any sector. They don't have the power to do this in America. The legislative branch is mostly clearly aligned with reforming policy, but it is nearly impossible to get them to do so, because what you have are hundreds of career politicians with hands in corporate pockets and vice versa.

The only hope is for Americans to take a stand as the public. However, since many, perhaps most, are apathetic and selfish, I'm not holding my breath. We are pacified with reality TV, vague hopes about winning the lottery, and new technical baubles coming out each year.

Quite frankly, the problem isn't in our President or Congress, it is in us. They respond to us.

Yes, many Americans want universal health care. But at the same time, they refuse to take care of their health preventatively in the way that such a system demands. People continue to overeat on junk food, eschew exercise, and pay for the latest cell phone or computer software before investing in massage, herbology, or anything that could reduce their stress and improve their lives.

Yes, many Americans say they don't want companies bailed out and they wring their hands at the economic crisis. But I've talked to people who are losing their house or facing bankruptcy, who are still insisting they just had to buy the iPhone.

There is a disjunction in this nation between personal responsibility, happiness, and collective good. People are conditioned through advertising to think it is only through buying crap that we become happy, and that we have no personal responsibility for our health, finances, or other aspects of material life. Just wait until there is a problem and then your doctor/pharmaceutical co/lawyer will fix it for you! If people act this way about things that directly impact their own lives, how much more can this be true of issues like Guatanamo, which has no direct relevance to anyone? To care about the suffering of people far distant, you must have first gotten at least a little out of the self-centered bubble of worrying only about your immediate well-being. Guatanamo requires even more of us, since we have to be willing to trade in our fear for humane principles, despite all the cries from military and intelligence that without torturing human beings, we would surely suffer 9/11 attacks repeatedly. It is entirely unsurprising to me that, without any significant protest on the part of the American people, Obama cannot be a one-man band that changes this tune.

Considering that even with insurance, any hospital stay, surgery, or catastrophic event will still make one tens of thousands (minimum) in medical debt and will therefore necessitate bankruptcy, it is unclear to me as to how insurance is very helpful.

I have it, but it is still unclear to me. When my best friend got into a car accident and became a parapalegic, the woman in a similar circumstance but with Medicare in the bed next to her got more prompt care, better assistance (wheelchair, etc.) and at much less cost. As I will not be on an employer's coverage after this month, I am shopping around and really wondering at how much it is worth it to have standard insurance, especially given that we are very careful with our health and hardly ever need a doctor (like perhaps one or two visits a year now). It used to be worth it because I had a lot of problems and would end up in the ER a few times a year, but once I had a diagnosis and figured out how to manage my condition, I have virtually no need for the medical establishment unless I had a trauma. It is ridiculous to think of paying so much to gain so little.

Ive already been very relieved I had my insurance my son had a severe case of pnemonia and was hospitalized for almost 3 weeks. Out of pocket I owed about $700 and $500 of that was an ambulance ride.. the insurance paid about 75,000.

It sounds like thought it's expensive, you have good insurance, FS. Last year my husband had to have a hand sewn back up after a very bad cut. The ER bill was something about $3000, of which we had to pay nearly $1000. The insurance fought us for the remainder of the money and we had to file more forms and so on to get them to pay their share.

Dental was even worse. It covered $1000 per year. A single root canal was over $2000, even for the cheapest dentist, and I had to have two. So insurance covered $1000 and I paid $3000, plus the cost of the insurance every month. It didn't really work out to saving much of anything. :(

My HMO plan right now is fabulous, but local and with my job/home moving, I can't get COBRA coverage on it. So I'm stuck looking for insurance that isn't awful again. I can see why people who need surgeries and long hospital stays are beginning to go to places like India for it. I've heard from several people the care is better, the rooms are like 5-star hotels, and the cost, including airfare, is less than what you'd usually pay in premiums alone if you're on a PPO plan.

Obama does a huge U-Turn and its hardly reported. Everything stinks just as bad as it ever did :mad:

And he decided to challenge the release of torture photos over... wait for it... NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUES! :eek:

Isn't this the candidate who promised to "Do our business in the light of day"? There ain't no light here Barack!

I'm not going to give up on the man yet, but he's done little to warm my heart.

The president is like the Admiral of a fleet.
An obvious figurehead that the rank and file think runs the show:eek:, but they in fact take their orders from others.:p

The president is like the Admiral of a fleet.
An obvious figurehead that the rank and file think runs the show:eek:, but they in fact take their orders from others.:p

It sure does look that way. :( :mad:

I encourage everyone to reserve judgement until the end year 3 of his first term. Changes cannot be made overnight.

I believe that Obama's greatest contributions in his first term will be on the international landscape. His first international trip was a huge success. He has started changing our image with the people of other countries. :)

Fixing the economy will take time. It took 8-12 years to put us in this disasterous situation. It will take at least 3-4 years for his new directions to start working.

Utter bollox. All Obama managed on his grand tour was to secure your and my wage slavery for decades to come for a handout to the corporate umbrella, the IMF, that rapes the developing worlds resources and then demands they pay for it.... with interest! Oh yeh...and he "went down on" a fat corpulant Saudi. What a success!! You gotta take them rose coloured lenses out buddy.

I like Obama tremendously as a person,

To me for a while he was an enigma, he was saying the right things, yet there was something glassy and unreal about him.
I think him a coward, a nothing and my prediction is that after he is done not one black in the world would piss on him if he was on fire.
If he takes a bullet it will not be from some racist supremacist but one of his own betrayed believers.

The position the world is in, the challenges we collectively face meant that we really needed a "good' and 'genuine" man in the White House. But we just have another corporate tool. The rape and injustice will prevail.

A very jaded view, perhaps, Tao? Or is it that you were expecting something profoundly different in him as a politician?

The turn arounds suggest less puppetry here, as much as many of his ideals were developed outside of government, but now he has access to information within government which is necessarily going to cause him to revise his aspirations to keep them practical.

I know a lot of people have been hopeful of the amount of change Obama can bring in, but I seem to recall many of us thinking similar of Tony Blair when he took office from John Major in the 1990's here in the UK.

You can have change from depressingly bad politicians and their cronies to something new and fresh - but ultimately we're still dealing with politicians.

It is always interesting, the new blood everyone thinking things will be different. I don't think it cynical, just naive of our system and reality of the world.

We have these expectations...us the elecorate and Obama the elected. These high aspirations 90% of which are dashed as soon as someone is elected to congress or the senate. The man wasn't in office long enough to understand that he couldn't get a bill through congress without selling his soul to special interest groups and other senators/congressman. He spent his entire congressional career running for the presidency.

So now he is elected to the highest office in the land....er...world...face it he leads the worlds super power...suddenly has the fate of millions in his hands.

With his first meeting bringing him upto speed on what we are doing where in the world they would have to pick him up off the floor.

Then as he presented his ideas the group will tell him the implications and results of putting these into place the inadequacy of the ideals sets in

Utter bollox. All Obama managed on his grand tour was to secure your and my wage slavery for decades to come for a handout to the corporate umbrella, the IMF, that rapes the developing worlds resources and then demands they pay for it.... with interest! Oh yeh...and he "went down on" a fat corpulant Saudi. What a success!! You gotta take them rose coloured lenses out buddy.

You sound more like Rush Limbaugh here than an unaligned atheist :).

Sure it would have been great if Obama could have solved all our problems in 100 days. But what he has been able to do is begin the healing process with the rest of the world.

I should point out that not only did Bush ruin our economy the last 8 years, but Clintons second term was a disaster as well, because of the Monica Lewinski affair.

But Bush also ruined our reputation internationally. His lack of understanding of the dynamics in Iraq has made the US the international bully again.

I think bringing Hillary Clinton into the adminstration and Rahm Emanuel were great starts to his admin.

If you want to we can examine the cabinet more fully.

I think you are a little jealous because Obama is showing up the European leaders :eek:

Back