What to do with N Korea?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Tao_Equus, May 30, 2009.

?

What to you guess will happen with the North Korea problem?

1. The US will nuke N.Korea

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. The US will go via the UN and invade conventionally

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. S.Korea and or Japan will go to war with N.Korea

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Nothing, it will all blow over in a few weeks.

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

2. Snugglepuff

Snugglepuff Well-Known Member

Herro :D

Obviously, it's a bit more complicated than I'd like to get into but isn't it mostly America getting upset because N Korea is playing with their nuclear toys and flexing their plutonium muscles? It's all about how many nukes have I got and how many have you got, and then throwing your teddies out the cot (that's my America analogy).

I am a bit scared about the situation but mindfully aware that our media is slightly sensationalist... surely this will blow over like the Cold War with Russia. I was under the impression that America's relationship with Korea was rather fraught anyway.

I am highly misinformed on the situation as you may be able to tell but from my perspective, America is mainly ticked off because N Korea has got some actual weapons that could hurt them and could possibly be supplying them to other suspicious countries...

Feel free to ignore me... I'm starting to lose the will to live just writing this... I don't even know why I'm still writing...

3. 17th Angel

You think America is "ticked off" (lol) because North Korea has the capability to cause a nuclear war? [As in firing and supplying atomic warheads.] Doesn't that 'tick you off'?

I can totally understand the opinion that America attempt to be World police, we can has teh nooks! but you cants has teh nooks! I can understand how some can look at this and think... Yanky dog hypocrites!!!

But, even though I am agaisn't any nation having nuclear warheads, America is less likely to use this firepower. And I would imagine, less likey to sell this firepower/knowledge to child nations that will use it to blackmail and actually use it.

*shrugs*

4. Tao_Equus

Tao_Equus Interfaith Forums

Dont talk then.... dance ;)

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUEXT6Pva9o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUEXT6Pva9o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

5. 17th Angel

[youtube]uZVxjH04aIY[/youtube]

6. Snugglepuff

Snugglepuff Well-Known Member

I do agree that America is more responsible with their weapons. I don't think any country should have them either... I curse the day the A-bomb was founded... and yeah, I'm ticked off too that N Korea is threatening to use them.

I do think it will blow over... though I don't know how America is going to get that situation under control.

I do still think though that America gets slightly threatened when any country gains nukes... especially if they have any history. But you are right, America is not quite as nutty as Kim Jong Il (herro lol!!).

7. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

WWII has been over for a couple of generations, and Japan is still restricted to having minimal military forces. Is Japan really in danger? What about S Korea?

I am affected by Japanese, Chinese & Korean influences. Strange but it feels personal to me that there is a nuclear threat in the region. Even though I don't know these people, it feels like I do. Though their land is old, the Japanese are pioneers. They know what it is to feel lost. It makes a difference when you feel connected, and somehow I personally have a feeling especially about Japan.

8. 17th Angel

Japan has a policy(law) that they -cannot- attack any other country, they can only use military in a means of defense of their own lands.... Which... Twice has come close to changing... Of course when there was the kidnapping cases.. (100's of cases that is) They almost mounted war on Korea after years of people attempting to get it...

Then there is now..... Where they are preparing a force to fight Korea.

As I have said many times... South Korea is the MOST at threat and would take the MOST damage......

within minutes.... Seoul is rubble...
    In two hours... South Korea has taken over 1.5million fatalities.

--edit--
    I should also mention... that's without one single nuclear warhead being fired...... South Korea would take one hell of a f'ing blow..... They could win aye.... But the first few hours they would see heavy losses.

9. Tao_Equus

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOe2ptO3_GQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOe2ptO3_GQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

10. 17th Angel

11. 17th Angel

12. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

Let's take care with the images, please, 17th. :)

13. 17th Angel

It's not graphic???

There is a picture of many mice on the lounge somewhere dead... Suffering... That by far is more offensive/graphic... In the news forums there is a picture of decaying mouse in a freaking malt loaf...... This ain't graphic :/ It's suggestive... Symbolising how someones pacifist approach is going to come up from behind and make them pay.

But sure... ok.

14. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

I'm just making a call to please draw a limit and not let it escalate into graphic mature content imagery. :)

15. Tao_Equus

Killjoy!! :D

16. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

Officials: US tracking suspicious ship from NKorea - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The U.S. military is tracking a ship from North Korea that may be carrying illicit weapons, the first vessel monitored under tougher new United Nations rules meant to rein in and punish the communist government following a nuclear test, officials said Thursday.
    Defense Secretary Robert Gates said he has ordered additional protections for Hawaii just in case North Korea launches a long-range missile over the Pacific Ocean.
    The suspect ship could become a test case for interception of the North's ships at sea, something the North has said it would consider an act of war.
    Officials said the U.S. is monitoring the voyage of the North Korean-flagged Kang Nam, which left port in North Korea on Wednesday. On Thursday, it was traveling in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of China, two officials said on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence.
    What the Kang Nam was carrying was not known, but the ship has been involved in weapons proliferation, one of the officials said.
    The ship is among a group that is watched regularly but is the only one believed to have cargo that could potentially violate the U.N. resolution, the official said.
    Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen did not specifically confirm that the U.S. was monitoring the ship when he was asked about it at a Pentagon news conference Thursday.
    "We intend to vigorously enforce the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1874 to include options, to include, certainly, hail and query," Mullen said. "If a vessel like this is queried and doesn't allow a permissive search," he noted, it can be directed into port.
    The Security Council resolution calls on all 192 U.N. member states to inspect vessels on the high seas "if they have information that provides reasonable grounds to believe that the cargo" contains banned weapons or material to make them, and if approval is given by the country whose flag the ship sails under.
    If the country refuses to give approval, it must direct the vessel "to an appropriate and convenient port for the required inspection by the local authorities."
    The resolution does not authorize the use of force. But if a country refuses to order a vessel to a port for inspection, it would be in violation of the resolution and the country licensing the vessel would face possible sanctions by the Security Council.
    Gates, speaking at the same news conference, said the Pentagon is concerned about the possibility of a North Korean missile launch "in the direction of Hawaii."
    Gates told reporters at the Pentagon he has sent the military's ground-based mobile missile system to Hawaii, and positioned a radar system nearby. The Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system is designed to shoot down ballistic missiles in their last stage of flight.
    "We are in a good position, should it become necessary, to protect Americans and American territory," Gates said.
    A Japanese newspaper reported Thursday that North Korea might fire its most advanced ballistic missile toward Hawaii around the Fourth of July holiday.
    A new missile launch — though not expected to reach U.S. territory — would be a brazen slap in the face of the international community, which punished North Korea with new U.N. sanctions for conducting a second nuclear test on May 25 in defiance of a U.N. ban.
    North Korea spurned the U.N. Security Council resolution with threats of war and pledges to expand its nuclear bomb-making program.
    The missile now being readied in the North is believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles and would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, the Yomiuri newspaper said. It cited an analysis by Japan's Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

17. 17th Angel

Weapons are the only means of export for North Korea.... You take that away they have nothing, so... Of course they will continue to export weapons.... Hey who knows perhaps start exporting there 2,500 - 5,000 tonnes of V-agents and G-agents. Hmmm, maybe... But I think they are mostly being reserved as a gift for the south Koreans.....