BNP at the EU

if i'm understanding the explanation correctly, this election cycle was an interim election with the national elections still to come, correct?
Spot on.

as an aside.. i find the EU concept to be intriguing however given my understanding of European history it seems to be rather naievely optimistic to think that the bulk of Europeans would be keen for it. of course that will change as the older generations die off leaving the generations that were not at odds with eachother with the decision making power.

metta,

~v
Actually I think most Europeans are extremely hostile to any fascist tendency. When it does raise its ugly head, such as in France a few years back with Le Penn, the following election cycle provides a comprehensive counter-punch.

Spot on.

Actually I think most Europeans are extremely hostile to any fascist tendency. When it does raise its ugly head, such as in France a few years back with Le Penn, the following election cycle provides a comprehensive counter-punch.

i am not so sure about that, the fascist party in Italy is perfectly legit and considered respectable apparently according to my good friend who lived over there for several years

Spot on.

Germany is a lot more strict, not surprising after their history in the 20th century.

There's a random ad on the front end of the interfaith site, promoting one of the forum discussions "spiritual fascism", about elitism within even spiritual (as opposed to religious) groups, where ordinary people are regarded with disdain.

The graphic accompanying that is an image of a group of skinheads.

It used to be an image of a Nazi flag - red background, white circle, swastika.

However, for one of the apocrypha pieces I'd put up after asking for permission to do so, the German historian later emailed me in horror, not simply because the swastika was appearing on the same page as his translation, but also because the image of this flag was apparently banned in Germany.

Spot on.

i recall reading about Le Penn several years ago.. i have relatives that are French, some live in the United States and some live in various parts of France... in any case... i was under the impression that he wasn't so much a France First! guy as a "get those smelly immigrants outta here" guy.

i haven't watched French news in quite awhile... been watching the Nigerian news channel... eh.. fiber optics has some advantages.. but i think they had a national election recently and a nationalist party won.. but i may be mistaken about that.

Brian, i was pretty sure that Germany had laws regarding all manner of nationalist parties and have banned the use of the swastica, thanks for the confirmation... though that raises an interesting avenue for discussion given that the swastica is a fairly well used Hindu religious symbol... for another thread :) do you know if the parties in Germany are mandated to be open to all ethnic groups?

metta,

~v

The Nazi swastika is reversed, though, so hopefully there's a distinction in law between the types.

given the rather recent political turmoil such parties have created in Europe i'm rather surprised to see you folks suggesting that some of these parties are actually gaining political power.

The support for the B*P is patchy. On this link you can see that 1 in 6 voted for the BNP. Although this is partly due to low turnout this doesn't of course mean a higher turnout would have meant a differerent result; in theory the non-voters could all have gone out and voted B*P.

BNP: Barnsley voters turn their backs on Labour over 'foreigners' - Times Online

s.

How does the BNP consider White British? Im Cypriot decent but Iam white British aswell.. I have widows peak on my forehead which is a white man trait. Lets face it they basically want a land with people who are genetically as similar to themselves as possible, thats errrrrrr.

You would be considered as a foreigner... You would -not- be welcome in 'their' land. Sure they are racists... But, they are also nationalists... You ain't a friend... You're an enemy.

Sounds pretty exclusive to me..

That's the "beauty" of it..

The Nazi swastika is reversed, though, so hopefully there's a distinction in law between the types.

oh great then l can get out my siouxie and the banshee jacket then lol

seriously voters cannot be taken seriously anymore..green is a prettier colour and both were comparable in votes but thats PR..tactical voting has no tact only a reactionary act without reflection..still, a sign to be skewed by the skewed powers that be

Can't take voting seriously? I never have! But..... I am starting too :D There is also the "pirate party" And I don't normally vote... or get mixed up in any of that bollocks... But, they are getting my freaking vote... Can take that to the freaking bank...

"The Pirate Party has won a huge victory in the Swedish elections and is marching on to Brussels. After months of campaigning against well established parties, the Pirate Party has gathered enough votes to be guaranteed a seat in the European Parliament." Source: Sharereactor.com

I just used one of my fave sites I visit to get that reference too lazy to find more details right now but if you wanted to look into it I am sure it shouldn't be that hard to find.. WOOOHOOO ONE FOR THE PIRATE PARTY!! I want to be PR/Design for them!! The slogan...... "Copyright? Paying for digital goods? f**k that steal it." or maybe a dig at the goverment "Support us! We fund terrorism!!" or maybe really short... "copyright? Jog on..."

yeh noticed there was a n2eu party; l think francis' post a while back giving [political] power to the younger had merit [cant remember thread]

must be better then THIS!

"The Pirate Party has won a huge victory in the Swedish elections and is marching on to Brussels. After months of campaigning against well established parties, the Pirate Party has gathered enough votes to be guaranteed a seat in the European Parliament."
But none for the Ninja Party, guess that question's settled then...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RcyVoTW6SE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RcyVoTW6SE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

haha i actually did move back home and ironically the largest minority here is English people. However I dont want them to go home as this is their home here :)

All it takes is some spiteful and irrational thinking or someone to pass on this toxicity.

Back