Obama and Race Relations

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Avi, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

:D , Wil, I am very optimistic about Obama ! The Democratic presidents since JF Kennedy have been a disappointment.

I was optimistic about Clinton, but he ruined his second term, and legacy, because of his ego.

I am hoping Obama has the strength of character to be great. Time will tell. But it is not going to be easy. It will take time for our economy to recover. Might take many years. That is why I am hoping that Obama will make progress on racial equality during his admin.

2. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

ok.. here we go again..

here is a link that may be helpful...

;)

White Man's Burden (1995) - Full cast and crew

This movie is very eye opening..

enjoy...

oh by the way take note of the seen when john travolta is pulled over by the cops... ;)

3. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

4. juantoo3

juantoo3 ....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Robert Reich: "No white construction workers"

Robert Reich Excludes White Male Construction Workers from Obama Stimulus Plan - Associated Content

Robert Reich: No White Male Construction Workers

No White Male Construction Workers Need Apply | The Alaska Standard

Robert Reich's Blog: The Stimulus: How to Create Jobs Without Them All Going to Skilled Professionals and White Male Construction Workers

Remind me again, this kind of attitude does exactly what to promote equality and racial blindness?

One step forward, two steps back...

5. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

I have another question :) ?

Wouldn't it be neat to have discussions in an interfaith community which was also highly interracially diverse :) ?

Of course I do not know the interracial mix of this community (except maybe Nick, I think we can guess at that one!), but I think I did notice that the only African-American avater was Yo-Eleven's, I could be wrong here, please correct if me that is not the case.

So I was wondering, anyone have any ideas how we get there ?

6. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Also, didn't Wil say he taught in a racially diverse Church, how could those children, or children like them get involved in interfaith dialogue ?

7. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Re: Robert Reich: "No white construction workers"

Juan, from an idealist point of view, you are absolutely right !!

But from a little more practical perspective, aren't there some groups that have been discriminated for decades or even longer ? And because of that don't they find themselves economically, and educationally disadvantaged ? What would be wrong with helping them to reach an equal position, economically and educationally in society ? :)

8. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

Practically speaking, practicing discrimination in the name of ending discrimination really doesn't do much to end discrimination, does it? Rather, it propagates discrimination, in this case, with the seal of approval from the government. :mad:

That's what's wrong with it.

9. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

I agree that discrimination is wrong under any circumstances. I agree with you and I agree with Juan about that.

What I am talking about is giving people a chance to build and improve their future.

Let me take the discussion about of the racial domain for a moment to give an example. I live in a state with little infrastructure for research in science and engineering. Because of that there are few companies, few jobs and a weak economy. The federal government has a program which offers special projects for infrastructure building. These are great programs and once the infrastructure is built, we are able to compete on the national level. This program is successful.

This is what I am talking about. Giving people help to build their own infrastructure. I think that is visionary :). It is giving people a chance to be their best. People respond to that.

10. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

Giving people an equal chance is not the same as shutting someone out due to their race.

Like I said, giving people a chance to build their infrastructure is a fine thing. It should not be racially targeted, which includes inclusion in the program by virtue of race, or exclusion from the program by virtue of race. Use a criteria other than race, such as the financial status of the individuals targeted by the program, since this is the justification you are using for the program. Don't pull a bait-and-switch.

Anything short of this is just using flowery language to dress up government sponsored racism, and violates equal protection under the law, imo.

11. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

The Reich blog is not very long, lets take a look:

This is a reasonable discussion. Reich just says if "mainly" the jobs go to the white construction workers it will not go to those that really need it. I have not heard anyone accuse Reich of being racist. He is a staunch supporter of minorities.

The rest of the references given above are all second rate newsletters. Juan, I am surprised you chose this group of newsletters, they are not high quality newsletters. And especially the Alaska Standard :D. Juan, please :rolleyes:.

The major newspapers did not cover this story at all, because it is a non-story. I searched on Google News and found nothing significant.

12. path_of_one

path_of_one Embracing the Mystery

I don't think race has anything much to do with who is out of work in construction. My husband is a contractor and was a foreman for a large company, and everyone is out of work. It doesn't matter if you're white, Hispanic, whatever. Construction is down 50% in California and everyone is piecing together a part-time living.

I'm one of these "white professionals" and I get annoyed every time someone thinks that I grew up in some sort of privileged bubble because I happen to be of Celtic and French descent. We were under poverty line until I was 16. I started working at 16 to pay for my car insurance and college needs, got my college paid for by merit-based aid by working my butt off, and worked my way through grad school. All that, and there are no jobs in higher education, so I am now out of work too but overqualified for almost everything else out there.

People assume that because I'm white and have a doctorate that my life has been roses and it is a load of BS. You can't judge me by my skin color any more than I can judge a black person, brown person, or yellowy-tan person by their skin color. My standing as a "professional" tells you nothing about what my life has been.

I fully recognize that there has been (and still is in some places) systemic discrimination against certain ethnicities and races. And I fully support the end of racism and discrimination in all forms. I realize that I'm less likely to get pulled over by a cop and so forth. But what makes me annoyed is the assumption that just because I'm white, I've never faced problems and don't need any assistance during this recession. I know dozens of white "privileged" middle class families who have lost their jobs, homes, and entire savings (including us and many of the construction families we know).

A recession is a whole-society problem, not a problem to do with ethnicity. Everyone is hurting.

13. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

Who assumes that? There are plenty of poor and needy white folk around, recession or not. That seems like an odd assumption to make.

14. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Juan, SG and Poo, I re-read Reich's blog and you guys are right. He should not have mentioned the racial issue. He should have just said the money should go to economically needy groups. A fine distinction but important one. Thanks for making me think about it further :).

15. DrumR

DrumR Well-Known Member

Let see, I haven't made much noise of late, raised some offending odors perhaps, but not much noise.
    So I guess this is as good a place as any.

<Crash, bang, toot, screams of terror, loud grunts, patter of machine gun, whistle of a speeding locomotive + your favorite sound effects here.>

Whereas I, on the off claw, believe otherwise.

A being of reason, while exercizing that faculty, not being in full command of the facts, and knowing of that lack of facts, would not have arrived at the same conclusion as was expressed by Mr Obama.

Further, Mr Obama, as President of the United States of America, is in the enviable position of having the ability to obtain direct telephone contact with each of those parties involved with the expectation of a timely and most immediate response from those parties. Wether that position of being the President of these United States was exploited in such a manner is unknown. Yet had such an opportunity been exploited in a timely fashion the otherwise unknown facts of the matter may have been obtained in order to progress toward an informed decision.

Mr Obama's statements, in light of being knowingly ill informed of the incident, displays a lack of, and a possible disregard for, the reasoning process.:confused:

Some of the unknown factors include the position of the police officer in question within the department itself. That officer taught classes on the procedure for racial relations.

In lieu of the mis-statements presented it would be considered as the reasoned response to have offered an apology to those parties involved. However, such does not appear to be the case. Instead of offering an apology to the Police Department and the arresting officer in question, the President of the United States of America issued public statements that point, in part, to a mis understanding on the part of The People of the United States of America of those words The President choose to use when framing his conclusion, that was based upon his self avowed ignorance, of the matter.:(

Should one choose to use, as a standard of comparison, that portion of the old saying;
    "to err is human;"
    then it would be logical to pronounce that Mr Obama was acting very human indeed.

It is interesting to note that the stage of human social development where ir-responsibility is a major, and somewhat expected, characteristic is also known as childhood.:rolleyes:

Happy un-birthday, pass the cake, and I'll have a double scoop of ice cream if you please.:D

<more sounds of crashing pots and pans then exit>

16. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

:D, I do like the sound effects :D.

Oh, yes, and the beer summit looked like fun :).

17. DrumR

DrumR Well-Known Member

Thx 4 the favor of a reply, Avi.

Yeah, well. The sound effects are needed to get some notice 'round here.:(

While the "summit" looked like fun it wasn't. How could it be if we wern't there:D