European Issues

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Avi, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Interesting article from a reliable source. Any comments ??

Is the author saying, "all is fine, no worries, we are just one big happy Europe" ???

And is Europe, one big happy Europe ??

{Of course you Brits are just a suburb of American anyway, right across from us by a big puddle !! Ut oh, now I am really in trouble !! Where else to start another revolution, than in the Politics sub-forum !!}

2. Postmaster

Postmaster Well-Known Member

I think it's great that we have muslims living in Europe.

3. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Cool PM, when I read this article I thought about all the British posters, but of course you folks in Greece have a unique perspective on this issue too........and you didn't even blast me for the broad brush, what a nice guy :) !!

4. GlorytoGod

GlorytoGod There is a River

the problem with Islam in Europe as far as I see is that there is a tendency for some groups if Muslims to demand special rights and privileges which I dont agree with, also in the UK there are large Islamic communities in many cities that really don't integrate with the UK society very well and use marriage to cousins from back home as a way of bypassing immigration.

5. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

I always enjoy contrarianism !!! By the way, G2G are you British ???

6. nativeastral

nativeastral fluffy future

from wiki

''Projections

[​IMG]
    It has been suggested that Eurabia be merged into this article or section. (Discuss) Don Melvin writes that, excluding Russia, Europe's Muslim population will double by 2020. He also says that in 2005, almost 85% of Europe's total population growth in 2005 was due to immigration in general.[16][18] Omer Taspinar predicts that the Muslim population of Europe will nearly double by 2015, while the non-Muslim will shrink by 3.5%, due to the higher Muslim birth rate.[19] Esther Pan predicts that, by 2050, one in five Europeans will likely be Muslim.[19][20]
    Professor Philip Jenkins of Penn State University estimates that by 2100, Muslims will compose about 25% of Europe's population. But Jenkins admits this figure does not take account of the large birthrates amongst Europe's immigrant Christians.[21] Additionally, this estimation depends more on the supposed inevitability of the increase of Muslim population in the West and one person's research on the future of Europeans. Therefore, while Jenkins' estimation should be considered in the process of predicting what it would be like to live in the West in the year 2100, it should also be raising doubts about the entire European population.
    Other analysts are skeptical about the given forecast and the accuracy of the claimed Muslim population growth, since sharp decrease in Muslim fertility rates[22] and the limiting of immigrants coming in to Europe, which will lead to Muslim population increasing slowly in the coming years to eventually stagnation and decline. Others point to overestimated number and exaggeration of the Muslim growth rate.[23]''

There has been a steady population of Turks to Germany since the 60's -

Social Science Research on Turks in Germany [MESA Bulletin, July 1995]

France are clamping down on the use of the veil which is not surprising as they are the most radically secular; l think they have many 'ethnic' problems in the south eg Marseilles and in the poorer suburbs of the cities but l have not looked into whether they are muslims from Africa or not muslims at all!

7. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

NA, so what is your opinion ?? (More than France clamping down on veils, that sounds like it could be painful !!).

8. nativeastral

nativeastral fluffy future

As with most things l am in 2 minds as l tend to see both sides; as G2G says lack of integration causes societies within societies and ultimately an 'us and them' mentality amongst less thoughtful citizens and some do abuse the system concerning immigration, and what with the recession, which despite what the press says will not 'just go away'; and so restrictions and tensions will increase though our system here enables immigrants to work whilst the 'locals' prefer to stay on state benefits so its all a bit f### up. l do not live in an area with a sizable majority of other ethnic groups so l cannot have a personal view.

Europe wants to homogenize and standardise but the countries within who have maintained their borders and those who have fought concerning them are still steadfast in being patriotic, look at scotland, 1707 the 'union' but still very many who don't like to say they are british on forms etc.

Muslims want to use their sharia law for their believers but this is probably considered threatening though need not be. l like their community insurance system so theres things to be learnt symbiotically.

Channel 4 - Faith and belief - Divorce Sharia Style

9. Postmaster

Postmaster Well-Known Member

Thanks. I consider myself a British poster too as me and my parents were born there :) Also being Greek Cypriot decsent I have another perspective on muslims in Europe. Both my granparents could speak some turkish and had many muslim friends in Cyprus, I also have Turkish friends. Politics and religion aside were all people but I guess thats where the issue is.

10. Faithfulservant

Faithfulservant Well-Known Member

G2G is british FYI

11. GlorytoGod

what does that mean ?

i would say English.

12. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Pardon me, question from the ignorant American in the peanut gallery...

What's the difference English/British, England/Britain?

13. Eclectic Mystic

Eclectic Mystic Well-Known Member

Not all Britons are Anglisch, but all Anglisch are Britons.

14. GlorytoGod

Great Britain is a union of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

So British is all of them but I prefer to identify as English rather than British.

15. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

16. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

What I meant is that I enjoy someone who takes an opposing view (see definition below). The article that I quoted was saying how nicely "Islamization" of Europe was going, and you were voicing some concerns. That is what I was asking about.

17. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Now I thought that England and Britain were the same and whole was called the UK, United Kingdom, so United Kingdom, Britain, and Great Britain are all synonomous?

So English don't want to be called British, but I doubt a Scot, an Irishman, or a Welsch would either....so who calls themselves British...the royals?

18. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Wil, you are going to put these guys into cardiac arrest :), it's like telling them Maryland and the US are the same :D. Now, that's not to say that Baltimore is bigger than Glasgow or Gatwick, but who learned geography anyway :).

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Oh I'll just cement their view of the US educational system....

20. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

I have a feeling we are already cemented :D.