Are there any vegans in this forum ?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Avi, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Good point Wil, thanks. :)

2. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

And there is no living beings killed doing this?

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Define being. If you are to concern yourself with the screaming potato as it is being dug or the apple as it is being plucked or the celery as it is severed from its roots....yes..

But your previous statement refered to animals...

But you could always check out the Jane's, they wait until a fruit has dropped, they do not kill anything....

4. Snoopy

Snoopy Active Member

haha…recently bought my very first vegan cookbook (The Heretic's Guide to Vegan Cookery by Andy Murray) and on the cover it says “Not suitable for breatharians” :rolleyes:

s.

5. shawn

shawn New Member

I saw the Pam Anderson roast a few nights back which she was doing for PETA (to further her cause she endured an hour of insulting vulgarity).
    They played this video:
    [youtube]xOFRRZglGFI[/youtube]

reading post #17 got me to think of this....thanks there....17th (what a coincidence:cool:;))

6. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Vulgar Delusions indeed.

Legumes are known to be rich in amino acids. The German Army once issued an emergency food "sausage", I believe it was called "erbsworst", made of compressed pea meal in the time period of the "Great War." There were many problems associated with this "sausage" when used as an emergency ration and so it was discontinued.

While legumes do indeed contain a large portion of amino acids, and would seem to be an ideal source for same, the unfortunate, and oft un-reported, aspect is that most legumes are inefficient for the human body to assimilate in that most of the proteins are of a form that need to be converted into those proteins needed by the human organism.

Amino acids form a large group of compounds, many thousands in number, yet the human organism's requirements of but a few hands full of specific raw proteins from that group of thousands is under reported, if reported at all, in the general media.

This leads the ill informed to reach the conclusion that "proteins are proteins" and if legumes are rich in proteins they must be good for you. A similar rationale was used by the German Army, as indicated above, and discarded after "field tests" had shown to them their lacks in their primary research.

I have been advised, some time ago, that a researcher has been experimenting with the genetic manipulation of the potato to add to this primarily starchy tuber those specific amino acids known as useful to ready assimilation by the human organism. The present status of such research is currently unknown to me at this time.

Suspicious Reference Sources
    "Vegetarians: The breakfast of Carnivores."
    The Supportors of PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
    "There is a place for vegetables, Right next to the Meat and potatoes."
    "Veggies? Veggies? I didn't fight my way up the food chain to eat veggies!"
    Rocky Mountains! Not suitable for Breatharians.

7. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Sounds great!
    Would you suggest the use of Olive oil or Lard with which to deep fry vegans?;)

8. nativeastral

nativeastral fluffy future

there may be some truth in the pythagorean dictate that beans are not good for you then; nowadays we know that beans must be taken with grains to get the complete protein assimilation.

9. DrumR

DrumR New Member

The force you say?:eek: This situation appears ripe for an Sith intervention.;)

10. greymare

greymare New Member

I eat meat, and vegetables. A healthy balance. I couldnt cope with being a vegan, I love fruit, and most of what western society basically puts on my dinner plate. Im lucky that i dont have medical issues that dictate my eating habits, as that would be the only thing that would put me off eating certain things. Favourite meal of all time, would be a Lovely roast lamb, cooked with a sprinkle of mint and garlic, roast potatoes, pumpkin and onion, served with minted peas, oh and dont forget the gravy.
    Hmmmm, now Im hungry.

11. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Thank you for the favor of a reply, NativeAstral.
    Not to be a boor but to reduce the record's curvature, one might better state that "to obtain "a more complete" protein assimilation than from legumes alone."

It is a pity at that which is presented these days as nutritional instruction, especially to those who would label themselves as "nutritionists." (well, at least "here in the States")

Most of these studies do not reveal that the protein obtained from animal products is assimilated 10+% more efficiently in the human organism than those proteins which are obtained from vegetable product sources.:(

Could it be that the human animal is 10% or so more the carnivore than it is the herbivore?:confused:

Yet it may be worthwhile to note that it is not so important as to which particular foodstuffs one may consume as it is that percentage of those consumed foodstuffs that our bodies actually assimilate with the least adverse impact on the system that is the truer test.:)

12. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Taurine? Not essential??

Could it be that you are not of one the Ferret Kin??

13. CliffDweller

CliffDweller New Member

No, McD's is not cruel to chickens. Although the commercial poultry grower's and processor's methods are less than ideal.

Errmm, no, as I would consider eating them alive as rather barbaric not to mention unhealthy. Remeber, poultry should always be well cooked, as salmonella is a rather unpleasant experience.

Considering that the orgin of the word "fan, comes from the term fanatic, I can say with confidence, NO. I view all formms of fanaticism as highly questionable and supect.

Why on earth would the government activly choose to start a civil war? Which is what this action would amount to. And please remember, the carnivors and omnivors are usually quite well versed in how to obtain their foodsuffs, even if it runs. ;)

Because my dear, there are those of us who require animal protiens for optimum health. Veggie alone, do not cut it.

CliffDweller
    Omnivore

14. Snoopy

Snoopy Active Member

So you'd be happy to a chicken employee of McXs? :eek:

Are you saying some people have different nutritional requirements than others?

Yes, we are omnivores, we are not carnivores, we do not need meat. What does a varied vegetarian diet lack?

s.

15. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Hi Caveman, err, I mean CliffDweller,

As we discussed earlier on this thread, animal proteins are not needed for optimum health.

By the way, why don't you join us over on the feminist thread, some of the ladies over there will make chicken McNuggets out of you !! :D

16. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

Hens will lay eggs (albeit infertile eggs) even if there is no rooster around to fertilize them. (Yes, a chicken egg is a chicken ovum, and a hen will produce them whether she breeds or not.)

17. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

require?? I think not, it is convenient and tasty and carnivores loved that book 'Diet for your blood type', thinking it proved they needed meat where it was actually just a marketing tool for a line of vitamins.
    Yes they will for a time... They will lay at first in antipation of producing a chick but then if no rooster and the eggs rot, they will stop. So to kick start them again, you need a rooster to get them fired up. Now of course if you take the eggs every day....they'll keep trying, but it isn't to feed humans....

Anyone who may be skeptical about the strength, endurance and general health of people choosing a vegetarian diet might consider these vegetarian athletes:

Ridgely Abele
    Winner of eight national championships in karate

Surya Bonaly
    Olympic figure skating champion

Brendan Brazier
    Professional Ironman triathlete

Peter Burwash
    Davis Cup winner and professional tennis star

Andreas Cahling
    Swedish champion bodybuilder, Olympic gold medallist in the ski jump

Chris Campbell
    Olympic wrestling champion

Nicky Cole
    First woman to walk to the North Pole

Ruth Heidrich
    Six-time Ironwoman, USA track and field Master's champion

Keith Holmes
    World-champion middleweight boxer

Desmond Howard
    Professional football star, Heisman trophy winner

Peter Hussing
    European super heavy-weight boxing champion

Scott Jurek
    Ultramarathoner, Course Record Holder at Badwater and Western States
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Wiki[/FONT]
    Audio interview with Animal Voices: MP3
    Debbie Lawrence
    World record holder, women's 5K racewalk

Sixto Linares
    World record holder, 24-hour triathlon

Cheryl Marek and Estelle Gray
    World record holders, cross-country tandem cycling

Ingra Manecki
    World champion discus thrower

Bill Manetti
    Power-lifting champion

Ben Matthews
    U.S. Master's marathon champion

Dan Millman
    World champion gymnast

Martina Navratilova
    Champion tennis player

Paavo Nurmi
    Long-distance runner, winner of nine Olympic medals and 20 world records

Bill Pearl
    Four-time Mr. Universe

Bill Pickering
    World record-holding swimmer

Stan Price
    World weightlifting record holder, bench press

Murray Rose
    Swimmer, winner of many Olympic gold medals and world records

Dave Scott
    Six-time winner of the Ironman triathlon

Art Still
    Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs MVP defensive end, Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame

Jane Wetzel
    U.S. National marathon champion

Charlene Wong Williams
    Olympic champion figure skater
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]BrendanBrazier.com[/FONT]

Know of more vegan or vegetarian athletes? PLEASE email us! This project will be kicking off Summer 2007.

Excerpted from The Food Revolution, by John Robbins, published by Camaro Press.

18. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Grand Idea! But Just what is it we should turn them into:confused::D

19. DrumR

DrumR New Member

SeatteGal, Snoopy, what's up??

Why didn't you warn me that the food fight, er - that is to say, "Sectarian War" was being moved to this thread?

Now I have to lug all the sweet, dripping and sticky confections from the Far Eastern threads and all the camels are rented out during this Labour Day week end. Blasted inconvenient I say.

20. CliffDweller

CliffDweller New Member

(Chuckle)

For a great number of people this is correct, but what I am speaking of is those who do not posses the ability to efficiently process vegetable proteins. Some people do and some people don't, those that don't eat meat.

Roflmao

I sincerely doubt that. ;);)