academic method and the Qur'an

Discussion in 'Islam' started by bananabrain, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Ghazali

Ghazali New Member

It is not my role to educate you. That is your own responsibility. However, while we are discussing the Islamic greats, I will be glad to correct your misunderstandings, if it does not require too much of my efforts !!

I would be glad to consider, if that were the case. However, as we can both clearly see, my knowledge is far superior to yours !!

Incidentally, here is another quote which describes the originality of Avicenna's thoughts which I believe you will be interested in. It is from the article that you linked about Descartes:

Please study these experiments more fully, so we can express how impressed we are with Avicenna. ;)

2. c0de

c0de Vassal

(lol)

yes... clearly :rolleyes:

Cartesian duality and all its predecessors have long been brushed aside as empirically invalid & logically contradictory models of existence. All the arguments supporting dualism are outdated and obsolete. Here's an update for you professor:

Dualism vs Modern Science
    Dualism vs Modern Philosophy

Also, once again, these concepts were not developed by your beloved Avicenna, but came from the Greeks who can be excused for their thinking, considering they were pioneers in new lands (unlike Avicenna).

I advise you to worry about your own education, professor.

3. Ghazali

Ghazali New Member

Ok, dude, now you are starting to show some critical analysis skills, good links. But lets look at some facts. Avicenna lived early 11th century, Descartes, early 17th century, you cannot compare their contributions. The "Floating Man" example I gave earlier was a big part of Descartes later dualism. And they are both related to Aristotole's soul. It is not what is similar that matters, it was the new contributions.
    You did not carry out the assignment I gave you, you show no understanding of Avienna's "Floating Man". So here is some information about it:

Please give this section some thought, we will return to it shortly. It has some profound new knowledge.
    I am a simple gear cutter who makes gears for machines. This leaves me time to study the great philosophers.

4. nativeastral

nativeastral fluffy future

lets get back to the 'academic' method and the Quran, and since we have 2 interested muslims what are the glaring disagreements between ghazali, averroes and avicenna? bearing in in mind their passions [of interest;)]

5. Ghazali

Ghazali New Member

Thank you Mr. C0de, I have decided that my meager knowledge is no match for your deep intelligence in this area of "academic method and the Qur'an". I will therefore return to my studies, only to meet with you again, in the future, when my knowledge has matured to a level worthy of your esteemed consideration.

Salaam.

6. c0de

c0de Vassal

@ Native

If we bear those in mind, then it doesn't really matter what their disagreements were.

@ Ghazali

You are indeed a gentlemen, my sufi brother.

w'salaam