Ah, yes, "AIDS Day" is upon us again.

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Dogbrain, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

It seems that some sort of "AIDS Day" has cropped up again in the USA. Just out of curiosity, I consulted the US CDC regarding mortality. Here is some of the information I found regarding causes of death in the USA for the most recent fully tabulated year (2006). I have highlighted a few:

Diseases of heart: 631,636; Cancer of trachea, bronchus and lung: 158,664; Cerebrovascular diseases: 137,119; Diabetes mellitus: 72,449; Alzheimer's disease: 72,432; Influenza and pneumonia: 56,326; Cancer of colon, rectum and anus: 53,549; Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 45,344; Motor vehicle accidents: 45,316; Cancer of breast: 41,210; Septicemia: 34,234; Cancer of pancreas: 33,454; Suicide: 33,300; Cancer of prostate: 28,372; Accidental poisoning and exposure to noxious substances: 27,531; Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease: 23,855; Leukemia: 21,944; Falls: 20,823; Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: 20,594; Parkinson's disease: 19,566; Homicide: 18,573; Cancer of liver and intrahepatic bile ducts: 16,525; Cancer of ovary: 14,857; Cancer of esophagus: 13,686; Cancer of bladder: 13,474; Alcoholic liver disease: 13,050; Cancer of meninges, brain and other parts of central nervous system: 12,886; Emphysema: 12,551; Cancer of kidney and renal pelvis: 12,379; Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV/AIDS): 12,113.

Now, in a sane and rational society, one would presume that media attention would be devoted most to the causes of death that claim the most lives. Evidently, the USA is not a sane and rational society. However, we don't see big stars coming around with ribbons on their chests to observe "Homicide Day" or "Accidental Poisoning Day". The inmates run the asylum.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I don't know, we agree. But it is like women and breast cancer, is it what kills them the most no, but they march like crazy for a cure. The HIV/AIDS lobby over here is strong, is it different where you live? I mean is the percentage of deaths and the money spent on research and drugs proportional?

AIDS deaths have decreased dramatically with drugs, but the cost of the drugs is thru the roof. Finding a better solution will reduce the cost of that portion of our health care bill substantially. Maybe our current health care reform will address this more uniformly, but I won't hold my breath...

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Namaste Dogbrain,

Could be that it would be worth an hour one day a year maybe to educate ourselves of this issue. (that would be 1/8760th of your year since you are interested in statistics)

World AIDS Day 2009 ? Official Website

appears Dec 1st is world aids day....

heard today 1/10 of 1% of teenagers in DC has AIDS. Scary thought.

and I guess due to the day also about the trials and tribulations of folks in China who have contracted AIDS and the stigma they live under.

And am reminded that in parts of Africa the local legends say that the men can get rid of AIDS by having sex with a virgin, which is encouraging them to rape younger and younger women and leaving these girls infected and with infected babies and ostracized from their families.

It looks like all this could use some more media attention and education of the masses around the world. And like anything isn't quite so funny when it happens closer to home.

4. nativeastral

nativeastral fluffy future

Yes we've had the French President's wife being interviewed about her work and praising the efforts of our P.M's wife 'involvement' and media raising on Aids, kick started by hollywood revelations and confessions..hype that works or hype that pays..
    coincidentally Wil, while searching for a documentary on a 5 year old indian girl who was carrying pitchers bigger than herself [exagerating but yu know what l mean] to counter another thread thought, l came across exactly the same idea that virgins can cure but in India The real slumdog girls - Channel 4 News

This real fear [degeneration and even death that spreads through sexual practices] would particularly resonate with any society that has as its religious mythological paradigm [garden progeny] this storyline that can be elaborated into lots of variations on the same theme.
    But yeh a world wide phenomenon to be taken seriously; as seriously as heart problems? surely it is as connected as the heart is to the root [chakra].

5. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

Dogbrain, I'm curious - how many people are currently dying slowly from falling?

6. Faithfulservant

Faithfulservant New Member

people do not die from AIDS they die from complications because of their repressed immune system. Its the same with cancer.. they actually die from organ failure rather than the cancer itself.

editing to add that there is an entire month dedicated to breast cancer awareness.