Want Allah to Forgive You? Forgive Others

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by future hope, Jun 3, 2010.

1. future hope

future hope Interfaith Forums

If we want Allah to forgive us, we should be forgiving of others and willing to overlook their wrongs. This is part of what it means to be good to others. Allah describes his believing servants as “those who restrain their anger and are pardoning towards people.” He then says: “Indeed, Allah loves those who do good.” [Sūrah Āl `Imrān: 134]

Indeed, Allah says: “And let not those of you who possess wealth and abundance swear against giving to the near of kin and the poor and those who have had to emigrate for Allah’s sake. They should forgive and forebear. Do you not love that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.” [Sūrah al-Nūr: 22]

Righteous deeds of all kinds bring us closer to Allah, but especially kindness to others. We should show kindness to all creatures as well as to human beings, whether this kindness comes in the form of our personal behavior, our sharing of our wealth, giving assistance with our abilities and our influence, or praying to Allah on their behalf. We need to especially consider the disenfranchised, the widows and orphans, and the poor.

The Prophet (peace be upon us) said:
    There was a merchant who used to extend credit to people. If he found one of his customers to be in straightened means, he would say to his assistants: “Forgive them their debt, perhaps Allah will forgive us.” Allah did forgive him. [Sahīh al-Bukhārī (2078) and Sahīh Muslim (1562)]
    Pardon, tolerance, and magnanimity should exemplify the way we treat one another. We should be willing to overlook the faults of others. We should even be willing at times to waive some of our rights. We should not always demand everything that is due to us. All relationships are a matter of give and take.

This applies to everyone we have dealings with. It is the way things should be between the husband and wife, between parents and children, between teachers and students, and between governors and the governed. In each of these relationships, there are clearly defined rights and duties, and we should do our best to fulfill them. However, in every relationship, people fass short at times. Forgiveness, forbearance, and pardon bring harmony and love into our relationships.

Imagine a marriage based solely on accounting for rights and obligations. Would there be any love or mercy in such a marriage, any room for tenderness and affection?

Tolerance and magnanimity, stabilize those relationships and bolster the esteem and human worth that people have for one another. By Allah’s grace, these qualities make our dealings more successful, and certainly make our dealings more pleasing to Allah.

Attached Files:

2. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

Theory is always nice, isn't it?

3. NiceCupOfTea

NiceCupOfTea Pathetic earthlings

i sort of agree with you here, talk is cheap, i would love to see more tolerance and forgiveness from the Muslim world, most of what I hear about these days is death threats for facebook and cartoons and stuff, a little more forgiveness and understanding is more than welcome.

4. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

Do you really think 1.5 billion people are a bunch of blood-thirst terrorists?

Puh-leaze! The vast, vast, vast majority of Muslims are "normal" people trying to live normal lives. The reason you don't hear more from them is that today's media isn't interested in normal.

Don't let propaganda shape your understanding.. from either side.

5. NiceCupOfTea

NiceCupOfTea Pathetic earthlings

well i never said that, so i guess you are projecting ?

6. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

Not much.

Just read your post.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Back to the topic.... What is it that we don't understand about forgiveness?

It does nothing...for the person we forgive...and everything for ourcellves.

There is an adage that says "holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die"

“By doing this you are like a man who wants to hit another and picks up a burning ember or excrement in his hand and so first burns himself or makes himself stink.” Visuddhimagga IX, 23.

Jesus tells 70x7 there is a reason for that...

8. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Member

Really, if you have wronged someone and they forgive you this does nothing for you?

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1

The act of.forgiving benefits the forgiver...

StevePame likes this.
  10. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Member

Yes it does, but I think it can also benefit the person being forgiven.

For example, I started a new job years ago and made a pretty big mistake that cost my boss time and money, I was expecting him to get mad at me, yell, maybe even fire me(I was expecting it because that's how I would of reacted had our positions been reversed).. but he didn't, he forgave me and now when I am in a similar position I try to be as forgiving as he was. So I benefited from his forgiveness, it made me wiser etc.

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

And his forgiveness was a smart business decision.

You also knew about it.

If you are forgiven, but are unaware, how do you benefit?

12. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Member

LOL yes.. knowing that you have been forgiven is key to benefiting from it. Though I'm pretty sure I could come up with specific scenarios where one would benefit from being forgiven without knowing that they have been forgiven.

It is why I said forgiveness CAN benefit the person being forgiven.

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

"Spooky action at a distance"? (Einstein) :D

StevePame likes this.