How to learn "The Truth".

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Dogbrain, Jun 28, 2010.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Cultural programming....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Isn't it interesting how various cultures over time have had so many thoughts as to what beauty really is?

And hasn't it always been really linked somehow to procreation? for both sexes? Subconsciously to create offspring that will excel in society?

Once modernization and improved child birth techniques came along the need for the voluptious larger pelvis woman to increase liklihood of successful birth and feeding was needed, smaller breasted more slender women became more vogue... And with men the nerd herd would have never been close to desired, but recently they are gaining ground.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

At some point I think they would cease to communicate much....just live knowing that it is all G!ds plan and there is nothing I can say to improve upon it.

3. luecy7

luecy7 New Member

False. All of the rest of your reasoning fails on this false presumption. There are some physical laws, like gravity, or 'Do unto others as you would have others do unto you', that are decisive. They do establish a right and a wrong way. Those laws won't pit you against another person, those laws pit you against yourself. Any agreement or disagreement is over whether you are wrongly fooling yourself, setting yourself up for a great fall, or rightfully aware of the rules and protecting yourself from yourself. That is not a matter of someone else understanding you, that is a matter of whether you understand yourself relative to those laws. You don't necessarily have to hit the ground at terminal velocity to learn that you do not want to. There is value in discussion, and thus, disagreement. I would rather have someone disagree with me, causing me to think, and consider, than to hit the ground at terminal velocity. Perhaps your mileage will vary.

4. Ben Masada

Ben Masada New Member

What is the truth? IMHO, we must first know what the truth is, to judge what is true or not about this or that group. Unless you mean to imply that the truth is the one of every one on an individual basis. There must be a pattern to test values with the intent to identify what the truth is.

5. Persona

Persona Interfaith Forums

Good point.
    Truth is in perspective - subjective.
    Even "scientific" truths are not always universally true and there is always more to see if you step back (like way out in the universe) or step in real close (like microscope).