Conspiracy Theories / Secular Superstition ?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Thomas, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Does that make sense to anyone?

In a religious age, people looked to the gods /God / Old Nick / whoever as the cause of events ... knock on wood, salt over the shoulder, that sort of thing.

Psychologically I don't think it's too much to assume that in an increasingly secular society, people will look to the conspiracy theory as a replacement for good old fashioned superstition and fear of the supernatural.

I think both are of the 'better the devil you know' school? Superstitions are a way of managing the malign Fates or placating deities, or simply identifying the source of the 'problem', rather than live with the nagging unease of just ... not knowing, or worse, living in the acceptance of ... stuff happens, for no good reason at all.

Likewise, conspiracy theories give an element of 'closure' or at least 'containment' of psychic and psychological unease.

I'm not saying that 9/11 happened for no good reason, but I am suggesting the protagonists of 9/11 saw they could achieve their intent to bring the towers down by the means they employed without covert assistance.

Thomas
    (Mind you, that doesn't necessarily mean they're not out to get you, they are, I heard 'em whispering about it ... )

2. Diagoras

Diagoras Interfaith Forums

It is good to raise the question 'what is a conspiracy theory?'. And I would heartily agree with you that such theories can and do supplant religious memes in just the ways you allude. But conspiracy theories have always existed wherever there were groups of people big enough that not all facts could be known by every individual. A conspiracy theory starts as soon as someone can infer an alternative scenario to explain an observed outcome. As such they are common within even the smallest communities, even families, and have been there as long as religion. So the tendency is endemic.
    "Conspiracy Theories" are sold as a fringe loony obsession largely made possible by the internet and referred to with copious examples of plainly ridiculous people. And a lot of corporate media energy is expended on this perception. The Russians claim that the Polonium poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko is part of a "western conspiracy". Not to us but to their own people. Russian state sponsored TV regularly points out the flaws in the narratives our Western Media Machine feed us.
    I do not believe anything without a great deal of my own personal investigation. I am my own investigative journalist because I cannot trust any single piece I read. I am never content to take any theory as given just because someone took the time to write it and it in some way suits my preconceptions. That is the real trouble today. Most sheeple base their perception of reality on a strictly controlled and very limited number of resources. So in a sense religion itself is the greatest of conspiracy theories...as well as the most ridiculous.

3. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Yup, there are no conspiracies.
    People have nothing to hide.
    Everyone is honest and open, transparency in public institutions is all the rage.
    And we can believe absolutely everything these authorities say, because we can trust and have faith that they only do things inspired by the highest motives which are in the best interests of all people.
    Nobody frames another as all those who did something terrible will always stand up and confess.

If believing what you wrote in the OP gives you comfort, then by all means do what you think is best.

The best part of waking up is the Fluoride in my cup.

4. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

I think the apparent blossoming of conspiracy theories goes hand in hand with decreased public trust in the "official" public explanations; the shrinkage of deference to authority. I'm not sure one needs a secular or religious mind-set to be this way inclined? The "authorities" have been taken off their pedestals across the board, whether politicians, scientists...

And superstition is a maintained behaviour based on an erroneous linkage (eg walking under a ladder and a minor disaster) ...so how are you saying this feeds into conspiracy theories dear boy?

s.

5. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Actually I think I may be making too much of too little ...

Thomas

6. citizenzen

citizenzen Custom User Title

The thing about conspiracies is that we know humans are capable of taking part in them. There are numerous examples of conspiracies that can be found throughout history. So it shouldn't surprise anybody that conspiracies occur... or that we suspect that they may have occurred again.

It would be like asking, "Adultery... reality or superstition?"

I guess it just depends on the couple.

7. Diagoras

Diagoras Interfaith Forums

Not often you see such an admission on a forum. Congratulations.

8. Muslimwoman

Muslimwoman Coexistence insha'Allah

I agree with Snoopy, I think faith in conspiracy theories have more to do with lack of trust in "the system" than anything to do with alternatives to organised religion. Modern media has uncovered all sorts of shinanigans within politics and between governments of different countries. They say reality is often stranger than fiction and politics proves it, so when we find out what our governments have actually done it makes it easy to believe they could do just about anything.

9. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

A clip from Deek Jackson
    (be warned ....language #$%$#@.........)
    So if you are offended by f$%#ing language, then don't click the play button)

****Go to 3:24 where he presents his ideas regarding "conspiracy"...erm coincidence..........
    Very well put and IMO totally accurate.

[youtube]G5t3j6xQLmY[/youtube]

What we need is more people who "get it" and say it like it is.