The Meaning of Life

i agree that have a point or purpose is different than ascribing meaning to said purpose or to anything else for that matter. it can be reasonably be said that purpose would exist even if humans didn't whereas meaning, more than likely, would not.

it is a shared experience only in the sense that two or more beings may witness or have sensory input of the same event in spacetime. their subsequent cognitive processes are unique unto themselves.

it is only when we, ourselves, eat the persimmon do we know of what it tastes.

Couldn't agree more.

I rather like the persimmon imagery :)

The mystical paradox here is that by giving up all search for the meaning of life, the deepest meaning presents itself of its own accord. Not knowing I know everything.
The Christian paradox is that finding one's life, they lose it, and losing a life, a person finds it.

Some say they are benefited by emptying and idling their mind. Perhaps. The mind can certainly be used for self. Alternatively, the mind can be used for others.

I was just requesting some general broad examples that are common to everybody is searching for as you said.

I think you are actually exhibiting exactly that which the thread discusses, you are attempting to be told what the meaning is that you might seek it. Just be grateful, through all things, even in the worst of times we can gain solace in the fact we can know it sucks at all. It seems people seek monotony and confuse it for peace, this thread seems to be telling us that through seeking we eventually define such meanings for ourselves whether it is valid or otherwise.

People should be content just experiencing while often in spiritually oriented texts we are seemingly taught that walking our path is wrong for various reasons. If we were all intended to walk the same path, as organized religion suggests, why are there so many people alive today? We must all be comfortable in our paths and allow others there own, but in todays world we are all too content to be sheep, accepting another persons prescribed path. Unity does not necessitate uniformity, we do not have to be the same to fit in.

I think you are actually exhibiting exactly that which the thread discusses, you are attempting to be told what the meaning is that you might seek it.

Just be grateful, through all things, even in the worst of times we can gain solace in the fact we can know it sucks at all. It seems people seek monotony and confuse it for peace, this thread seems to be telling us that through seeking we eventually define such meanings for ourselves whether it is valid or otherwise.

People should be content just experiencing while often in spiritually oriented texts we are seemingly taught that walking our path is wrong for various reasons. If we were all intended to walk the same path, as organized religion suggests, why are there so many people alive today? We must all be comfortable in our paths and allow others there own, but in todays world we are all too content to be sheep, accepting another persons prescribed path. Unity does not necessitate uniformity, we do not have to be the same to fit in.

Who have not understood what I requested. Actually I was only asking for examples so that I can understand clearly what they meant.

In your hurry to put your point through you have misinterpreted my request.

Who have not understood what I requested. Actually I was only asking for examples so that I can understand clearly what they meant.

In your hurry to put your point through you have misinterpreted my request.

I would be more apt to explain that you have actually misunderstood my point... it is actually that the definitions and examples are personal, defining them for another is wholly wrong.

Originally Posted by Lunitik

"I think you are actually exhibiting exactly that which the thread discusses, you are attempting to be told what the meaning is that you might seek it."

I was not going to seek anything. You are telling me what I would have thought which I myself do not know.

Any topic in this forum can be explained with broad general examples.

Originally Posted by Archimysticus

"As long as we search for the meaning of life with our minds, we will not find it."

Originally Posted by Vajradhara

"i don't think that people are actually searching for a meaning to life, whatever that may actually mean. i think that people are searching for an experience of actually being alive and having that experience resonate throughout their being."

The fact is that I really did not understand their statements and wanted to understand it better through some general broad examples that affect everybody and need not necessarily be personal.

Back