Raising spiritual children

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by moonymoony, Apr 27, 2011.

1. moonymoony

moonymoony New Member

I notice that some children at age 2 or older like copying grown ups when they pray and feel very happy for doing that, but this enthusiasm for worship decreases when they grow up.
    is it because of the parents not taking care of their children spiritually or is it because we live in a world where temptations are on display for children all the time?

2. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

I think many more young children are actually more spiritual than adults. We obscure that natural spirituality as we learn logical thinking, then we have to try to get back to it as adults, after we realize that we don't actually know everything nor can we figure everything out on our own. :p

Matthew 18

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Who is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2 Then He called a child to Him and had him stand among them. 3 " I assure you," He said, "unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child—this one is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one child like this in My name welcomes Me.​

3. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

Case in point: put two toddlers together in a playpen, and they will happily play together. They don't care about race, nationality, political stuff, religious differences, or even language differences. We develop these prejudices when we get older.

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Kids are incredible...and I think despite our best intentions whatever we do we dilute that innate nature previously discussed.

Our church says, "We don't teach you what to think, we encourage you to think" and while I've raised them in my church, I've exposed them to many religions, and my son (18) recently bought numerous spiritual texts and books from other religions when the local Borders book store was at 70% off. I asked him why, he responded, "They are all out there, I should learn more about them personally rather than second hand" He's digging into the Tao te ching currently.

I've often said, I look forward to where my kids take me, when I visit them in 10-20 years...and still do.

5. Dream

Dream New Member

Not sure but on a scale of 1 to 2 its parents and then the world respectively. I feel that there are some other influences as well and also that when you grow up you enter a different kind of spirituality. It may be hard to compare kids and adults.

6. moonymoony

moonymoony New Member

I think parents should watch how they talk and behave in front of their children because their influence is greater than anybody else's influence.

I have a friend who does not let her kids watch animated movies if they contain kissing scenes unless the movie is edited by her. she says she does not want to spoil her kids minds.
    In every summer she enrolls her kids in religion classes. she and her husband try to keep their kids as closer to God as possible without being too strict with them.

I like it very much.

children have pure minds and souls especially toddlers, even if they fight with each other they get back to playing as if nothing has happened. they are very good listeners at this age and if they get the attention they need they become wonderful people when they grow up.

some kids in my family feel very interested in knowing about other peoples religions especially how they perform their prayers. Knowing these things expands their knowledge.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Now this is interesting, as well as the political comics you posted.

Now here stateside we obviously have many issues, and we are concerned about sex on television, but kissing, hugging, I can't imagine censoring.

We are also going round and round regarding violence on TV, in music, and its impact in life.

Now we over here, here about this woman being stoned because she was raped, or someone having their hand cutoff, or various acts which appear to us quite violent and real.

a 14 year old girl or boy... what would you be more concerned about, them seeing love between two people, or corporal/capital punishment by authorities?

8. NiceCupOfTea

NiceCupOfTea Pathetic earthlings

whats so spiritual about copying parents ?

9. donnann

donnann Active Member

All make up does it add color that is lacking. It defines as well so why wash it off?
    Being separated from the soul leaves the body lacking vibrant color that you would have if you were one with it. So are you talking about makeup on a physical level or a spiritual one? Women when the soul and spirit are one are beautiful , men dont need makeup well because in the perfect condition they are not beautiful but handsome...make sense?

10. donnann

donnann Active Member

Raising spiritual children. No matter what a part of your intellect or consciousness is in your children. When others try to what I call steal children they are imposing their own intellect onto them . It doesnt make them their child but more like they kidnapped them, Of course that is a crime not only here but in gods kingdom. However acts of kindness are the way. So those doing that to the children are lacking in kindness having been shown to them somewhere along the line. When the sperm and egg unite both your consciousnesses are there but if its a boy it converts to the male side and a girl the female side.

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

How many kids do you have?

12. arthra

arthra Baha'i

I think as some of our children approach maturity it is more difficult to measure their "spirituality"..also as life sometime becomes more complex the older we get... I've found after my retirement however life can become more simplified..at least in terms of issues..

We could also maybe suggest a topic.. How do you measure spirituality..?:)

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Shades of Reason

It's probably a bit of both. The term spiritual has such broad implications though, so I prefer to use the term loving and compassionate. I don't teach my son religion, but I do teach him the value in love and he has become the most well rounded kid I've ever seen. At least far better grounded than I or my friends ever were.

He does things for others that most kids would never do. For instance: He designed a video game for his younger cousin for his birthday. He worked on it for days on end this summer, sacrificing a great deal of time and effort so that his cousin would have a truly unique and one of a kind present to play with. My son is only 14 mind you, but he is a wiz at computer technology.

It's not spirituality, prayer, or religion that shaped my son, but rather the love we instill in him as parents. He's no push over either weighing in at 196 lbs, a universal lineman on the football team, and a wrestling force to be reckoned with. I mention this only because many people think that by teaching their children the value in love that they will become pushovers and be taken advantage of.

Although he is not spiritual as many define the term, he is extremely loving, compassionate, and he genuinely cares for others. He has stood up to bullies for his friends and even those he never knew on many occasions and has stopped the bullying dead in its tracks. Not just that but he has also befriended them afterwards. I couldn't be more proud of my son as a parent or as a friend.

I don't fear him losing his footing, nor do I fear him losing heart. We keep a steady supply of love and encouragement flowing to him. He mirrors our values in his life, but he by no means follows our patterns for sake of following. He truly understands the power in love.

Yup yup .... that's my boy!

~GK~ (Very proud papa!) :p

14. donnann

donnann Active Member

I do believe environmental factors have an effect but who we truely are is not tought its something that we are....love compassion ect.

15. Gatekeeper

It is who we were born to be (I agree), but environmental factors often times prevent us from growing in love, so it is necessary to continually nurture and instill in our children these values. Otherwise, they are likely to not stick with them.

I always refer to the parable of the sower.

The "seed" is love, but love sometimes is never allowed to mature within us, whereby we are able to produce its substance in our lives. It's like growing a garden, we are required to tend to our seedlings, nurturing them, watering them, and pulling the weeds up so that our seedlings don't wither and get choked by other environmental factors (Weeds).

Parenting is a very big responsibility. We, in effect, shape our children and teach them how to live effectively. They are tiny seedlings in and of themselves in which we need to nurture the seed of love, so that it may grow in them. We, as parents, need to teach our children the best we ourselves are able, if only by being an example to them and by nurturing them in love, and by providing for their needs.

16. donnann

donnann Active Member

Well I agree but sometimes others get in the way of parents doing that I think they call it peer pressure. Maybe they need to start teaching kids in school since they have them most of the day. What would you do if someone intentionally was trying to make your children behave the opposite even thought they dont want to be like that? Its like bullying. So my point is whether its peer pressure on intentional to make someone appear they cannot handle it it doesnt change the fact of what a child is...love.

17. Gatekeeper

The Change Garth Brooks Cover

I thought this might be appropriate in light of recent posts. Absolutely fantastic cover. I think you are correct that we are love, that love is what we were born to be, thus we fight to keep ourselves and to keep our children from "changing". :)

18. donnann

donnann Active Member

So anyone doing that apparently have not felt loved themselves , so maybe as a community we need to start spreading it....I keep repeating this but acts of kindness.

19. donnann

donnann Active Member

As long as you win your own personal battle the children will never really change but lets be realistic anyone intentionally getting children to do the wrong things really does have a spiritual mental illness .....can we agree?

20. donnann

donnann Active Member

Love the song and the voice:)