Is god a man or a woman?? Hmmm

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by YO-ELEVEN-11, Jun 6, 2011.

1. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

No debate..just a question... Whats on your mind???:)

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Yo, been a while hasn't it? Glad to see you around, seems we were hopin to catch up at a some rally in DC...

anyhoo.... while we at our church have a tendency to open our prayers with "Mother, Father G!D, we give thanks...." the answer to me is neither.

That being said, when I anthropomorphize her, she's a grandma with a big cuddly lap.

3. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

cool..glad for the honesty....anyone else?

4. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

Eleven,

According to my belief system, spirit is masculine, 'pre-cosmic matter' is feminine, and the product of the union of the two (the third aspect, The Son, our universe) is masculine.

5. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Neither ...

6. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercur├Žn Buddhist

mu {10 character minimum}

7. luecy7

luecy7 Well-Known Member

Well... a bit of God is in both men and women, and both men and women can be in God.

8. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member

Answers to Joan Osborne:

If God had a name, what would it be? -- "God" (that was easy!)

And would you call it to His face, if you were faced with Him, in all His glory? -- Yeah, I'd probably say "Oh God!" (along with equally lame remarks)

What would you ask if you had just one question? -- "Why?"

What if God were one of us? -- Then the universe would be really badly designed, much suckier than it is.

9. Vajradhara

Vajradhara One of Many

i reject your reality and replace it with my own!

seriously though.. i don't accept the premises so it's hard for me to say one way or the other... within normative Abrahamic thought the Creator deity is viewed as being gender neutral/unknown/unknowable/unimportant with male characteristics when such is not the case.... so i'd say that...neither male or female.

10. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

hmmm...interesting comment...so if god is masculine...then why do some women look like men and some men look like women...it is very curious the way we are similar but different...so...some men look like women..and some women look men....so why is thay????

being that god is masculine..what really is masculine and what is feminie exactly......sex and sexual orientation is one thing..but how does GOD define the 2......:)

11. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

but why make one dominate and one passive...this does not add up to a planet that is supposed be ours..both male and female...it is very curious..and on that note why make us curious at all??? if we are not supposed know?????

12. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

but why make one dominate and one passive...this does not add up to a planet that is supposed be ours..both male and female...it is very curious..

13. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

but why make one dominate and one passive...this does not add up to a planet that is supposed be ours..both male and female...it is very curious..

14. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

Hey Yo!

Maybe it is your frame of reference that is getting in your way. Vaj is speaking from a different frame altogether so the questions don't translate. It seems that you see everything in a dualistic fashion but there is another way to see, another way to understand. If we feel that because we have a certain propensity for something that our desire must be satiated according to our expectations there is the possibility of suffering or dissatisfaction.

15. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

ok suffering..i can dig both male and female have
    dissatisfaction..but GOD if gender neutral is unknowable Then why make us curious and biologically attracted to each other and make us curious in GOD AND in each other at the same time...it does not add up...we like to add things up and make sense of things...from any point of reference..even animals know that if u dont eat then you will die...it is not thought about with animals...we give thought to something unknowable??? Which is what we do all the time...apart from the animals who go on GOD given movements..ie killing and other aspects of the animal kingdom...where as we give thought to things like maculine and feninine and pratice it on a daily basis...we make laws to aviod it but it is still there... ie...in relations period..both hetro and gay one is dominate and one is passive..ie.."who wears the pants" To sum it up unknowable is moote when we strive to know.GOOD ANSWER THOUGH...made me think...IF neither and unknowable..Then what makes us want to define GOD in books and pictures and just plain domiance???

16. Vajradhara

Vajradhara One of Many

those are societal roles rather than actual aspects of humans. there are females that are dominant and males that are submissive and vice versa.

naturally i don't think the Earth i supposed to be ours, nevertheless, the binary system of sexuality is not a very accurate way to look at the tremendous variety of combinations which exist amongst the various sentient beings.

i find these things curious not due to the idea of a Creator having done so and me trying to piece together bits of the Grand Design, rather, i find these things curious as they represent an historical, evolutionary snapshot of the human species as it exists in this millieu.

things are changing all the time it is, as the say, the only constant in the universe.

metta,

~v

17. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

seems constant is the only constant in the universe...the more things change the more they stay the same ;)

18. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

1 Corinthians 13:11 may have a deeper meaning, since we are all children, no? Perhaps when we mature we will see these things in a different light. Perhaps our understanding of God will change as well. Children are so very curious but they see things in a way that will be left behind eventually. I think we all will do this our entire lives as we mature.

19. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

HMMM..u got me thinking again....was GOD ever a child..SHEESH...2 many thoughts..:rolleyes:

20. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member