Millenial Old Tribal Commitment.....

Discussion in 'Comparative Studies' started by wil, Sep 20, 2011.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Twas said in another thread....

They are part of a millenial old tribal commitment....

and not just because it means something to me...

Now I know folks that are that way, because of societal, familial norms, some are very religious and actually 'into' it, others are there simply for the collective memory, the social aspect, and others yet because they are either afraid to leave for what the family will say, or compelled to stay for fear of being ostracized.

The interesting aspect of this is the across the board universiality of it.

I know Hindus, Jews, Christians, Muslims, even atheists....

Now maybe I don't know enough Buddhists, Taoists, etc... to know how pervasive it actually is...

But as a generality could we say this applies to the more orthodox, the more fundamental, the more literal group of most religions...not as intense in liberal groups?

Is this why our number one and two definitions of the word Cult have been:

2. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

I read the words, but fail to percieve your intent. Are you asking if all religions are cults? Are you asking if there are differences in the exoteric form of religions that are influenced by culture?

In the long (or "high") view, all formal religions (systematized with a body of rituals) are cults by these definitions.

By this I would say "Religions" = "cults", if by the "Big R" definition you mean the general outer garments and formal ritual and veneration.

But, there is still the issue of religions "not equal to" cults, if one means the inner intent or mystery.

Anywhere neare what you are asking for?

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1

By definition all religions are cults...but perhaps that inclusion confused the intent of the thread.

Basically.....if you are in the religion of your parents......WHY??

is it because of a millenial old tribal committment?

because you would be ostracized if you were not?

because you enjoy the social aspects and convenience?

becuase you truly believe?

perhaps it should have been a poll.