A question

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

India is currently dealing with several protests stemming from the brutalization of a (currently) anonymous rape/murder victim, mostly about changing the status quo concerning sexual violence against females, but several demanding the executions of the six who were arrested for her assault.

My question is: do you (the general you) think this will continue/change the status quo in India, or will things return to "normal" and/or the victim fall into obscurity within the first few months of 2013?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

2. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercur├Žn Buddhist

I don't know. I've heard that the government there is very corrupt, with government officials/authorities often participating in rapes. I've also heard calls from the people to start taking matters into their own hands and start stoning the rapists on the spot.

Ugly situation. :(

3. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

I know some there. They are not confident that the young males (who must force the issue with the corrupt government) have the stick-to-it-ivness

4. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercur├Žn Buddhist

I just checked up on Aup to wish the Olde Fart a Happy New Year. I'll try PMing him to see if he'll share his perspective on the situation. :)

5. bananabrain

bananabrain awkward squadnik

perhaps bhaktajan will blame it on meat-eating.

b'shalom

bananabrain

6. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

The public reaction to this incident and others like it has changed a lot of things. Here is a copy of what happened in less than a month from the incident (which I posted in another forum):

1. Supreme court has taken up the case on fast track, i.e., they will have hearings every day. We can expect a fast disposal of the case. Nothing has moved this fast in India except billion dollar orders from government after due bribe has been given.

2. "New Delhi, Jan 4 (IANS) Why should all cases of sexual abuse against women not be fast-tracked and the victims awarded compensation, the Supreme Court Friday asked the central government following two public interest litigations.

The apex court, which during the hearing, had in clear terms stated it cannot go into the issue of disqualification of legislators facing charges with rape and crime against women and children, later in its order incorporated this plea of PIL petitioners for issuing notice to the Centre and states for their stand."
    http://www.firstpost.com/india/sc-to...pe-578590.html

3. "The three-member committee of jurists, constituted to give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in sexual assault cases, began its work on Monday by issuing notice seeking public comments on the issue by January 5.

The committee headed by former chief justice of India JS Verma sought comments from the public in general, particularly eminent jurists, legal professionals, NGOs, women's groups and civil society members on reviewing the existing laws in a bid to provide quicker justice and stringent punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault, an official statement said."
    http://zeenews.india.com/news/madhya...gh_820352.html

4. "As outrage against the death of the Delhi gangrape victim, the ruling Congress party has decided to propose a tougher law to check crimes against women which could include a provision like chemical castration of perpetrators of rape in rare cases."
    Hindustantimes.com > Latest news on India,Cricket,Bollywood,Business - from India's leading online news channel

This would happen soon as some states are due for elections in 2013 and the National election is due in 2014. Safety of women will be a big issue in any future election. Nothing has moved so fast in India except billion dollar government orders after the bribes have been paid.

The only problem, the police seems to have forgotten to frame murder charges against the accused (since the girl now is dead). If they have not, public opinion will force them to file a new charge sheet.

7. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

More protests (from what I heard) after the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl and the refusal of the authorities to arrest or charge the perp. From what I understand, this time there aren't any men participating.

Any thoughts on this, especially what reason behind the absence of men this time?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

8. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

India is on boil with the recent spate of rape cases, many involving pre-puberty girls. The culprits have been arrested in most cases. They are going to face heavy sentences according to the new laws (which is getting harsher, life imprisonment or even death). Elections are not far away. The police will not be able to hush down the cases. In a recent such case the court has taken cognizance and asked for punishment of the officers involved. There will be special courts dealing with rape cases to expedite judgement. The culprits are not going to have it easy. Even then the process of law would take some time.