A victim of "date rape" commits suicide 8 days after incident

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Staff Member

3 teens arrested for assault after girl's suicide

A young lady was sexually assaulted after she passed out at a party and her assaults were photographed and posted online. Unlike the incident in Steubenville, Ohio, the victim hung herself as soon as she saw the postings.

What the FUCK is going on here? Why are these lowlifes taking advantage of helpless girls, and why didn't someone else at the party pull the assailants off of them? :mad:

The more I read about these crimes, the more I appreciate :kitty:s. :( Oh, and please excuse my language.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

2. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

Your language is of course excusable in these situations. Ordinary people do horrible things when they feel part of a group that acts like these things are ok. It takes strong individuals to say no in these situations, something not normally describing teenagers.

3. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

This directly relates back to American rape culture. This kind of stuff continues to happen directly because of what society, read that the "Patriarchy", models for them. Once we begin to address the problem of hegemonic masculinity we can begin to wipe this kind of behavior out.

4. kiwimac

kiwimac God is NOT about Fear

Actually the problem is that the kids were not taught to respect others' boundaries. Let's not make this broader than it need be. The boys are ultimately & solely to blame.

5. Paladin

The sociological data says different. Our culture thrives on hegemonic masculinity. Clearly this behavior doesn't exist in a vacuum but has a sociological component (Taylor, Peplau, and Sears, 2006).

6. kiwimac

Sociologists differ in their interpretations of data. Society has a part to play in this matter but we must not, from an ethical POV if for no other reason, make the boundaries on this matter to wide or the perpetrators end up receiving the sympathy which must be reserved for the victims.

7. Paladin

Actually there is quite a bit of consensus in the literature about this, but your point is well taken. I think there is enough cognitive space for people to understand both the perpetrator and the sociological context which spawned him. Both need to be addressed, rather than just one or the other, wouldn't you agree?

8. kiwimac

Yes, I do. We need to expend our sympathy on the victim while working to rehabilitate the offender. We must not. ISTM, short-circuit the job of rehabilitation by, in effect, making it as if there was nothing to be rehabilitated from.

9. etsijä

etsijä New Member

would this be something similar to what happened during the second world war, where ordinary people did horrible crimes? I'm of course thinking of nazi-germany. I've read about how these basically good people did these horrible things because it was just the way things were, and others just watched and said nothing. The text I read was about the social psychological aspect in humans, the topic something like "how ordinary people end up doing evil". I have this book waiting in my bookcase about rapist psychology, what makes a rapist, but as my bookcase is full of books I just haven't had the time to read, I have still not read it...

Anyway, as to a personal view on the subject, I just can't understand bystanders in these cases. I try to put myself in the situation, that I would be at a party and someone was being raped and I was looking, and I really like to think I'd do something about it. Of course, I have never been at that situation, and until you have been, you can't say for sure...

As for rehabilitation, yes, I am all for it, and more should be done to rehabilitate offenders. But... I do draw a line at some point. Some crimes are so horrible, I simply can't see how anyone could be rehabilitated. and then I also see it like, if I had some kind of melt down, did this really awful thing and then was rehabilitated and grasped the enormity of what I had done.. Well, I think it would have been more merciful to me if they had just "pulled the switch" on me... Then again, maybe mercy for the offender is not in question here...

10. Paladin

Absolutely. It seems to me that you might have experienced a situation where the criminal was portrayed as an innocent victim of a societal cause. I don't think I could realistically take that stance, but on the other hand my own personal beliefs encourage me to find compassion. That is my own internal conflict to manage, but externally, in the rubber-meets-the-road world there are needs and concerns to be met for the common good, and as you intimate that means dealing with the individual who actually committed the crime, regardless of the causes and conditions that led him to that behavior.
    In the study of social psychology, I look at the biopsychosocial aspects of behavior, and thus refer to sociology quite often to guide my thoughts. Naturally, this leads me to see that while we are busy fighting crime, we may want to look at what seems to spawn it as well. Unfortunately the uncovered answers can be uncomfortable for some, especially those who seek to maintain their position of dominance.
    What those in power don't understand is that the conflict is not a bout a limited resource (power), but in fact increases benefits for everyone in the societal group. Societies thrive best when both genders share power and both have input into how society moves.