Shameful local story. :(

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
Please take a moment to read a local story:

Rape victim suing Lynnwood police

I find it very interesting how quick people can be to discard actual physical evidence and seize upon speculations that have no evidence to support them, and then try to enforce those speculations onto others as actual fact. In this girl's case, multiple agencies seized upon speculation they wished to be true, than they went after the victim, even to the point of brainwashing her via enforced psychological treatment where she was force to write that she "dreamed she was raped." (In spite of the physical evidence that was conveniently ignored.) The measures taken to enforce this "preconceived reality" upon this girl is nothing short of shameful.

I would say that this provides ample evidence of a widespread, deep psychological problem within society regarding young women. Looking at this story, there can be no denying this fact.

I would like to point out that this area of the country is overwhelmingly liberal, and yet this happened. It makes me wonder just wtf is going on in society.

Paladin

Purchased Bewilderment
Reaction score
More evidence of the pervasive rape culture propagated by hegemonic masculinity. It is beyond time for all of us to start making some serious noise around what is, and has been a culture of inequality.
One of the things that psychologists stress is that victims of sexual assault can easily be re-victimized by those who are supposed to be helping.

radarmark

Quaker-in-the-Making
Reaction score
sg

I think my generation blew this. Some of us pushed for harassment, not realizing that in most boys' minds it would create a link to rape. The two should have always been separated (did you hear that, Joint Chiefs of Staff?).

And the old machoness took over, softening the line between the two. And machoness, unfortunately if the sine qua non of the military and police (I think it is a little less prevalent elsewhere).

The detectives and chief should be fired yesterday and the city should join her in a civil action.

moonbeam

Reaction score
This is terrible. I am glad that the truth finally came out and that she has been vindicated. I really hope that this young woman will now, finally, be able to begin the healing process and move on with her life.

As for the police department - they seriously need to re-evaluate themselves. Hopefully the law suit and pressure from the public will cause them to step up and fix their deep and obvious problems.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Reaction score
It's sickening to me for two reasons:

1) She was victimized by both her assailant and by the system

2) If her assailant was arrested when she first reported her assault, how many others wouldn't have become victims? I mean, the situation sounds a little like what happened with Jeffrey Dahmer and one of his victims (Sinthasomphone [who was only 14 when he was murdered] was returned to Dahmer, who later killed him and four others before his arrest.)

I think I'm going to be sick over there. *points to a corner that is devoid of :kitty:s*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
It's sickening to me for two reasons:

1) She was victimized by both her assailant and by the system

2) If her assailant was arrested when she first reported her assault, how many others wouldn't have become victims? I mean, the situation sounds a little like what happened with Jeffrey Dahmer and one of his victims (Sinthasomphone [who was only 14 when he was murdered] was returned to Dahmer, who later killed him and four others before his arrest.)
39 felony counts. He's been sentenced to 327 years for the rapes he did in Colorado, after the two attacks (that he's been charged with--don't know how many others were "dismissed" by authorities or went unreported) up here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/marc-oleary-33-is-being-c_n_964355.html

I think I'm going to be sick over there. *points to a corner that is devoid of :kitty:s*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
:(

Dream

Reaction score
Seattlegal said:
It makes me wonder just wtf is going on in society.
There is hope for the future. We can work towards an end where rape is no longer something that happens. That is the positive, broad view. The narrow bad view -- I'm really sorry, but rape is common in all societies and all histories so far. Though I believe rape can be ended it is a part of humanity which faith and laws are struggling to counter effectively. Rape is a pervasive human event. Controlling others is a pleasure, and people seek all kinds of pleasure. Facing the truth, its hard to believe that we can be evil and also good. Its also horrible, but it doesn't mean that human-kind is destined to be evil or that Lynnwood should be nuked. It means that we all have to make a decision to be a community and not merely individuals. I don't know how you can put distance between yourself and your feelings about this case. I think sometimes after getting down into the dirty familiarity with evil, we need to get out and take a shower. We must look for the positive perspective, because it is the broader one that shows the way out.

How could I ask you to desensitize yourself enough to look at the situation coldly? Detectives must do this daily, and perhaps it screws with their minds. They must think like every kind of criminal. They must anticipate the cheat and the con as well as the rapist. False accusations of rape cause a lot of trouble for detectives. Victims don't always want to talk, either. There is always the lingering question -- is my victim being honest? What aren't they telling me? A detective has got to be all kinds of jaded to continue working, so they are going to get it wrong at least part of the time. It is painfully obvious the detectives in Lynn-wood were self deceived, but they admitted to being wrong. That means the system isn't defunct. Rapists still have something to fear, and victims still have someone to believe in.

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
While this is a horrific story....and while rape is being used 'militarily' today in Africa....and while it is still a scourge to be reckonned with...

We are growing... Date rape, spousal rape 50 years ago didn't exist in the eyes of the police... 150 years ago we all know what a young female house slave was for... the entertainment of her 'owner' and his guests...

In many societies for millenia rape was the way a man took and claimed a woman as his own for marriage...in other societies a woman's first married night was not with her husband but with tribal leadership.

the abuse of women thru the ages has been horrific, and today it still needs attention.

We've got a long way to go, but we've come a long way...the chart has been a consistent upward arrow of improvement and while setbacks occur we must focus on constant improvement and know that we are, as a species moving from our violent past into a more equitable peaceful future.