Umerikkka!

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by radarmark, Sep 16, 2013.

1. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

Racists on Twitter Flip Out Because Miss America Is of Indian Descent - Truthdig

Hmmm. Born in Syracuse. Wants to be an MD. Talent segment shows she is proud of her heiratage.:mad:

I wonder if she had been named Horowitz and did a comedy bit from Lenny Bruce if she would catch this kind of flack?:rolleyes:

Or a black lady doing tap?:p

Of course, we ummmerikkans are so dang smart.:D

If only real "Americans" count, does that mean "Miss Native America USA" automatically wins?:eek:

2. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Being Deviant IS My Art.

I am constantly stunned by the ignorance of anyone in any way related to the Fox Propaganda channel. They have not one single clue what American values are.

3. radarmark

Unfortunately it is not just them. We Umerikkans seem to breed religious and ethic intolerance in our genes (JMHO).

4. Gordian Knot

Well we as a country were settled by waves of immigrants fleeing England that were primarily Puritans were we knot?

Actually though, I do wonder if it isn't the people so much as it is the times. The dawn of the 21st century has seen an inordinate rise in religious intolerance. Why is this sweeping the world now?

I find it a most strange phenomenon.

p.s. I liked your slip of the finger when you typed ethic intolerance instead of ethnic. Seems to me that there is indeed an egregious amount of ethic intolerance these days....

5. radarmark

Read back to the Fereralist anti-Jefferson campaigns or the pre Civil War anti-Catholic campaigns. No, I think we are just dyed in the wool bigots (or, rather a good part of us are). Timing has, I feel, little to do with it. Except perhaps more of us are beyond that stage now.

6. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

I know it seems that way, but ethnocentrism has been around as long as we have had a pre-frontal cortex, although the behavior seems to stem from the mid-brain. Sociologists often talk about in-group vs. out-group behavior in nearly all cultures. What is striking is the polarization that seems to be occurring in American culture as economic uncertainty and safety issues seem to drive a great many people to lean toward extreme conservatism as a means of coping. Certainly a maladaptive strategy considering it is our ability to empathize and cooperate that has helped our species thrive.

7. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

The photographs and videos do not give her justice. She is more beautiful than that. Indian origin Americans will play their role in their country.

8. radarmark

Paladin... I am not sure what you are saying. Yes, it is possible that humanity has always defined beauty in terms od the social norm. I do not. The two women I fanticize the most about are Queen Latifah and Serena Williams and I am a short, skinny white dude.

I think Umerikka has a problembeyond what you are addreesing (the fact that she is called "an Arab terrorist" or that Sikhs are the group snow monkeys, a racial derogative as bad a ******, I think, have killed the most frequently as "terrorists").

Really I am just pointing out that from the memeic and not genetic point of view my coutry is way f-cked up.

If Lenny Bruce's bit about Kennedy introducing his ******, kike and wop in his cabinet had gotten more play (or been taken to heart) no little black, jewish or italian kid would come running home because of what she or he was called.

9. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

And you feel that the problem is memetic? Well, there is a great deal of that going on. What I'm describing here is a sociological perspective, which actually fits with what you are saying, just a little more expansive. The current state of our national discourse grieves me deeply because there is no genuine discourse going on between the factions, and that almost always ends badly. I've studied conflict resolution and peacemaking/keeping at the international level as well as the domestic and from what I can tell, we need to turn this around soon.

10. Gordian Knot

More or less what I was suggesting. Way, way more of us are beyond that stage now. Yes it has always been there. But I've been around the cosmic block a fair amount of times at this point and I cannot ever remember a time where extremism was so rampant throughout all levels of society as it is today.

If intolerance had been at this level of extremism a couple decades ago, I don't think humanity would have survived the Cold War. That it is at this level now and apparently accelerating scares the stuffing out of me.

______________________________________________________________________________
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

11. radarmark

Well, you are entitled to that opinion. I watched crosses being burnt in the south and my "too liberal Jewish California Democratic Committee family" go wierd over the Japanese-American Apology and beringing Hmong stateside.

Much worse in action (JMHO) than what I see today.

That is the problem with anecdotal evidence (is yours better than mine?).

12. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

Wanted to rep your post but apparently I like you to much.
    "A good point well illustrated" anyway.

13. Gordian Knot

Anecdotal evidence is what it is, no argument there. I was around for the whole Cross burning thing. And the race riots in the '60's.

I'm not understanding what you mean by "go wierd over the Japanese-American Apology and beringing Hmong stateside." And I have no clue what beringing (bringing?) Hmong" even means.

There is no debating that despicable events have happened in the past in this country. There are despicable events happening today as well. My perception of what is different today is I perceive a significantly larger percentage of the population in a place of rage and intolerance today.

Whether that intolerance will escalate into more violent actions in the near future is, of course, mere conjecture. It seems to me to be the road down which we are headed. That is an opinion. I will be more than happy to have the facts prove me wrong. Time will tell.

14. radarmark

We brought the Hmong (a Laotian hill tribe) over into (mostly) California. My family really helped fuel all the bad reputation they got in the mid-70s. A little later Congress voted a stipend for the Japanese-American survivors of our interment camps. They hated that, too. They were not too happy when I brought home my Japanese girlfriends. There is a strong "Yellow Peril" feeling (I found) in otherwise liberal Californians of my parents' generation (born 1912 and 1919).

Luckily, as you say, things have gotten better. Yes, and violence has decreased. 7 generations take us back to DuBois and his anti-lynching hey-day, what will it be like 120 years from now? A lot better (JMHO).

15. remocat2222

remocat2222 New Member

I am constantly stunned by the ignorance of anyone in any way related to the Fox Propaganda channel. They have not one single clue what American values are.

16. radarmark

Ah, but they are the values of a large (and voting) minority.

17. Gordian Knot

Hence the problem.