1. That's the question that I continue to ask, but those here who assert reincarnation seem unable to answer.
2. Reincarnation assumes many guises in the popular mindset because it's an answer to the question of justice. Many seek it in the hope that the guilty will get their just deserts somewhere down the line; many others seek it in the hope that somehow it 'gets them off the hook' for their own injustices; many seek it because the ego cannot abide the idea of itself not being around ...
3. ... one has to separate the (metaphysical) science from setimentalism.
1. Everyone I know has a differnt answer, but they don't seem short of one. For what it is worth, here is another:
from the top down - I am - life is. Sometimes in incarnation, sometimes out.
from the bottom up - the essence moves on to another body (although that will also be determined by the previous lives), the bodies and their foibles disintegrate.
2. Yes. But this can be valuable if it gets people into spiritual disciplines.
3. Well, that's what metaphysics is all about. In this universe, anyways .