Veganism and the Bible

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by donnann, Nov 13, 2014.

1. donnann

donnann Well-Known Member

Genesis 1:29Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

In the garden of eden animals were clearly not given for food. When the fall occurred adam and eve had to leave the garden. The only mention of eating meat comes after the fall. My reasoning is that if the garden of eden is where we want to get back to and there is no meat eating there, isn't that a good biblical argument for veganism? What are your thoughts?

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I've known many that have argued that... But as I see it, the bible is such that darn near any viewpoint can be argued (and has, from polygamy, to slavery, to denying civil rights of blacks, denying women the vote...all 'biblical') Somewhere I have the book of Daniel raw cookbook...

and now a word from PETA...

3. Dan0813

Dan0813 Well-Known Member

In my belief system, the permission to eat meat derives from Genesis 9:3 (after the flood): "Every moving thing that lives, for you shall be for food; like the green herbiage I have given you everything." Subsequent verses add some restrictions.

That doesn't mean that I have to eat meat, but if I were to suggest that eating meat is morally wrong, that would be equivalent to saying that the Bible is wrong.

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

How about the scripture above from Hosea, Psalms, Mathew etc.

Which part of the bible are you saying is wrong? Contradictions for folks do abound...and each has their own justification for their beliefs and actions.

That is what makes it fun!

5. donnann

donnann Well-Known Member

My point exactly.
    The garden of eden is meat free so don't we want to get back there? Remember the story that adam and eve were kicked out of the garden so their meat consumption is NOT in that garden.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Metaphysical meaning of Eden (mbd) | TruthUnity

7. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

I see. Perhaps that is why Christians are not too enthusiastic about it. Look at Muslims. They do not have this condition, and every Muslim wants to go there ASAP.

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Every Muslim? This kind of generalization is what leads to bigotry eh?

9. Aupmanyav

Sure, every theist wants to go to heaven irrespective of his faith. Of course, only martyrs are eligible for business class and 72 houris.

10. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Where in the Quran is the 72 virgins?

If you find it does it say how old they are or what sex?

11. Dan0813

Did you have a preference?

12. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Nope, just pointing out the obvious bs in the excitement over a nonexistent passage...

13. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I'm not a monotheist that believes in a heaven...

14. Aupmanyav

They are young. Probably 9 years to 13 years, of both sexes.

Qur'anic description:
    Houri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The houri have variously been described as being "restraining their glances (chaste)", "modest gaze", "wide and beautiful/lovely eyes", "like pearls", "spouse", "companions of equal age", "splendid", "voluptuous", and much more besides."
    Houri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia contains many, including those in Qur'an.

Thus shall it be. And We shall pair them with companions pure, most beautiful of eye.
    —Quran, sura 44 (Ad-Dukhan), ayah 54
    [There the blest will live with their] companions pure and modest, in pavilions [splendid]
    —Quran, sura 55, (Ar-Rahman), ayah 72
    reclining on couches [of happiness] ranged in rows!" And [in that paradise] We shall mate them with companions pure, most beautiful of eye
    —Quran, sura 52 (At-Tur), ayah 20

Interested? :)

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Again...no 72 virgins in the Quran eh? and according to the link they are available to all that go to heaven, not just martyrs..

So what they are describing is a dreamworld... the glories of heaven... me interested? No, I don't believe in it.... all this is utilized by two groups of people...the radicals that attempt to insight people to violence dangling this bs as a prize and those that are anti-Islamic who repeat it..

have we strayed far enough from veganism in the bible yet? Has your derailing thread agenda been met?

16. Dan0813

I came across some interesting material on vegitarianism and the Bible in a book I have. I assume it's ok, copyright-wise, to post an image of a scanned page (or two or three) from a book, as long as I state the source? If so, I will do that "in due course".

17. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

referencing is the key... (you may be able to find it online as well)

18. Dan0813

I've been researching this within the context of Judaism. It's clear that eating meat is permitted, but some sources suggest that refraining from eating meat is desirable. I don't have enough information yet to have an authoritative answer (from my belief system) to the question posed in the original post.

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I know Jewish and Christian veggies that use bible references to validate/support their dietary restrictions...

that being said, as we have already seen there are the omnivores that do the same thing, tis the blessing of the bible, you can find scripture to support just about any position...or so my concubines conclude.

20. Dan0813

In the case of Judaism, one practical argument in favor of meat-eating is the need for various animal byproducts to perform required rituals. E.g., a Torah scroll must be made from parchment, tefillin (small boxes worn during morning prayers) must have leather covers, a shofar (ram's horn) must be blown on Rosh Hashanah.

If meat-eating become politically incorrect and discouraged or outlawed, then obtaining these other animal products would probably become very difficult.

Maybe this applies to other religions too.