Interfaith dialogue....

Discussion in 'Comparative Studies' started by wil, Nov 17, 2014.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1

It appears we have some differences of opinion...

Interfaith dialogue...what does it mean to you?

wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interfaith_dialogue

2. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

So it isn't when you belong to the right religion and you try your best to convince others of it? Monofaith dialogue!

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Monofaith monologue...

When you simply repeat everyone else is wrong...ignore all comments or questions and barrel ahead... G!d told me to do eet.

4. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

But what if everyone else is wrong?

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

If that is your thought... than interfaith discussion and dialogue is not where you belong...

6. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Can any of us be so presumptuous as to think 'we' are right about everything? Everyone else is wrong? Is that not more blind faith than anything else?

7. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

I didn't say that everyone else was wrong. I was merely posing a "what if" scenario.

8. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

When you have a strong faith, and you have strong sense that its right for you, coupled with the inability to recognise that there may be other ways to perceive the entire universe, and the human role in it, then it's only natural to tell everyone, or try to convince others how happy you are with that, with full faith it will help them.

Yes, it's an immature vision of the world, but since all beings are in stages of the soul's evolution, it's also very understandable. People are only products of their experiences. But yesm they are not cut out for interfaith dialogue.

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Just blind faith? Some have been taught well by folks who have shown them why they are in the right group and why they should not give the others any quarter (mainly because exposure could be dangerous) but any of US so presumptuous? On this site? Never!!

I was answering your hypothetical, I wasn't meaning you personally... sorry about the implication.

10. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I have great sympathy for people who want to save my soul, but it's not interfaith.

11. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

12. Devils' Advocate

On this site or anywhere else, Wil!

Dan I too did not mean you personally. Rather your question in general. Thinking about it, there are scenarios I could think of where one person was right and everyone else wrong! But those examples would be relegated to scientific theories.

On any social, religious, ethnic, etc., issue I cannot think of a historical precedent where one person was right and everyone else wrong. Anybody else?

13. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I would believe he was indicating that one particular sect/denomination of one particular religion was possibly right and everyone else was wrong.

But yeah...what is interfaith dialogue here...what is interfaith dialogue to you? what is perfect interfaith dialogue vs what often passes for it in some folks eyes?

14. Devils' Advocate

Perfect Interfaith dialogue? I do not believe that 'perfect' is possible in the human condition.

Would you settle for 'pretty darn good' Interfaith dialogue? How about this. A willingness to not only listen, but to hear another's point of view. To try and understand their comments - i.e. what it is they are actually saying versus what you think they are saying (With more query, if necessary). To honestly try and judge their comments as fairly as possible. Which requires an equally honest effort to be aware of one's own biases, and to not allow them to interfere as much as one can.

It has been my experience that the wise man listens more than they talk. And that the more someone is that they are right, the less likely it is so.

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1

One of the seven habits of highly effective people according to Covey is.... Seek first to understand then to be understood... I find often if I truly seek to understand, I lose the need to be understood.