Charlie Hebdo

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Thomas, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Well we are obviously not going to come to any meeting of the minds on this issue, so this will be my last post to you. Not out of any disrespect to you. We simply are too far apart in our beliefs. Any further discussion would just be more going round and round over the same material endlessly.

You wrote:
    Nobody anywhere is for absolute free speech. There is no such thing as absolute free speech. The nebulous concept of free speech is just a thing to talk about and enjoy. Its not just me, anybody who talks about free speech is actually talking about what he considers the right thing to speak. Its amazing that you cant understand this basic issue about freedom.

You are correct, there is nowhere absolute free speech. That does not support any of the rest of your arguments though. Just because there cannot be completely free speech does not mean there cannot be a version of free speech that is viable for all.

As I have tried to make it plain, I believe in free speech even when I completely disagree with the other person. Even if their comments make my blood boil. I absolutely do understand the basic nature of free speech. Where it is appropriate and where it is not.

In all my examples I have attempted to show that my opinion of this topic covers both those I approve of and those I do not. Those I agree with and those I do not. No there can never be absolute free speech. My version is consistent for everyone though. This is where you and I cannot agree. You want free speech to be only where you think it appropriate. I want free speech to be equal and the same for everyone. The same rules for all. With out fear of physical reprisal.

That is as much free speech as is possible with a species such as ours.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I watch it all....Russian, US, Ukranian.... I've also watched the middle east from afar... spoke to Palestinians and Israelis.... I learned from them it isn't as bad as the news we get...8 million people...and we only hear anything stateside when a bunch are killed or rockets are launched... One palestinian told me "Yeah, waiting in line and getting embarrassed at check points is bad....but not as bad as the DC beltway.... I got to work with less hassle there...

3. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

just to nitpick your statement, which area of Palestine did he (presumed) live? I know several people from Gaza that left 10 years ago that tell a different story of how it was when they left. I also know a couple by Chats that knew the last big battle/war was coming 2 weeks before it started. I also know they described life as pretty harsh the 2 weeks they still had power during the invasion. haven't talked to them in a while, assuming still no power.

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Yes they appear to know (both sides) when they are gonna have conflict....where the bulldozers are coming and where the rockets are gonna try to be launched at...

he was working in and around Jerusalem....had to go thru multiple check points to get to work and get home...they also knew which checkpoints were the 'sail right thru ones' and which were the stand in line all day....