12 attributes of Spiritual Awakening...

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by wil, Jan 31, 2015.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

The Lost Israelite?s Twelve Attributes of a Spiritual Awakening - Destination Yisra'el

2. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Nah ... that's just sentimentalism ... 'Little Book of Calm' stuff ...

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

The Little Book of Calm: Paul Wilson: 9780143027829: Amazon.com: Books ??

I've never heard of that, I was looking into this years ago.... not this page, but a concept...

The 12 tribes are interesting, in the bible as each child/leader was born and their mother named them and it is written why she named them, what trait the mother felt the child had and the meaning of the name.

I had discussed with Banana Brain and Dauer the thought of those 12 tribes coming together as metaphor of the 12 traits coming together. They said, 'Nah, those tribes had some issues, they were better off lost.' Or so I recall... so this was interesting to come across...

I look forward to hearing what our current Jews think of the thought.

4. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

Hahaha, Black Books!

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I don't understand what that means.

6. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

7. farhan

farhan Active Member

To me these seem more accurate attributes of spiritual awakening

1. Śubhecchā (longing for the Truth): The yogi (or sādhaka) rightly distinguishes between permanent and impermanent; cultivates dislike for worldly pleasures; acquires mastery over his physical and mental organism; and feels a deep yearning to be free from Saṃsāra.
    2. Vicāraṇa (right inquiry): The yogi has pondered over what he or she has read and heard, and has realized it in his or her life.
    3. Tanumānasa (attenuation – or thinning out – of mental activities): The mind abandons the many, and remains fixed on the One.
    4. Sattvāpatti (attainment of sattva, "reality"): The Yogi, at this stage, is called Brahmavid ("knower of Brahman"). In the previous four stages, the yogi is subject to sañcita, Prārabdha and Āgamī forms of karma. He or she has been practicing Samprajñāta Samādhi (contemplation), in which the consciousness of duality still exists.
    5. Asaṃsakti (unaffected by anything): The yogi (now called Brahmavidvara) performs his or her necessary duties, without a sense of involvement.
    6. Padārtha abhāvana (sees Brahman everywhere): External things do not appear to exist to the yogi (now called Brahmavidvarīyas); in essence there is a non-cognition of 'objects' as the separation between subject and a distinct object is dissolved; and tasks get performed without any sense of agency (doership). Sañcita and Āgamī karma are now destroyed; only a small amount of Prārabdha karma remains.
    7. Turīya (perpetual samādhi): The yogi is known as Brahmavidvariṣṭha and does not perform activities, either by his will or the promptings of others. The body drops off approximately three days after entering this stage.,
    Yoga Vasistha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Hermes

Hermes Zos Kia Cultus

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

lol ACOT...poifect... Thomas is it the book you were referring to or the skit?

Farhan....can you help me with #4 which has three preceding it yet refers to 4 previous stages?

10. farhan

farhan Active Member

You are right, no idea, thats how its written in wikipedia

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

the Dali Lama says, "you know you are enlightened when everyone you see, you see as enlightened"...so my preacher says, "I go to the mall to see how far I have to go"

similar to love everyone as I have loved you... tall orders...

Yogi doesn't seem worth striving for in those terms...

12. farhan

farhan Active Member

Different traditions use different methods. In my opinion Tibetan forms of Buddhism are a very advenced path for spiritual awakening within dharmic tradition. Yoga is more of an ascetism path, while buddhism is more about compassion.

13. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

Interesting ... claiming that you're spiritually enlightened isn't on the list. I wonder why. It seems so obvious it should be there.

14. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Dylan Moran! Brilliant.