A New Paradigm

Discussion in 'Theology' started by Thomas, Feb 7, 2015.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Great Answer!

and that is below...
    This is wonderful. (because I agree of course) but to expound (which might make others not agree)

Prayer doesn't change things.... it changes our perception of things.

Airline going down, I can panic, I can scream, or I can calm myself and prepare for the inevitable.

What happens .... is what happened... our response is our choice. Kids in the same classroom, some say the teacher is awful, some say the teacher is great.... it is the same teacher in the same classroom, the difference is perspective... But that teacher has it out for me, and she likes you...the difference is perspective.

We can't change anyone else, we can only change ourcellves. If we can't change what is...we always can change our perception of it.

You know how your most embarrassing moments, ones you hope nobody saw, or if they did see, you are mortified and don't want them to tell others....become your favorite self deprecating party stories? What changed? Only perspective. Time helped...distance from the situation, hearing others with similar issues.... I've learned if I am going to laugh about it later, may as well laugh about it now. Why wait for time to change perspective...why allow those negative neurotoxins get created in your brain from anger or fear...convert it to laughter and produce beneficial chemicals...

2. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

Note to all:

I have begun another thread re reincarnation, with a revised and expanded text taken from the above. Sorry DA, got carried away, so read the answer to prayer, but skip the rest.

3. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Prayer doesn't change things.... it changes our perception of things. Wil

This is a wonderful statement, too! (And what do you know, I totally agree. Strange that, huh).

It is not, however, how I perceive the majority of Christians perceive prayer. Quite the opposite.

4. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Me:
    Does praying "Please Dear Lord do not let this plane crash" have any value whatsoever?
    Thomas:
    I'd say yes, but not in preventing a crash.

Okay now this makes no sense at all. lol. I asked does prayer have any value in preventing the crash. You said yes. But not in preventing the crash! Non sequitor. This does not compute.

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Actually this is a famous prayer....

Now take the word G!d out of it... All that is asked to be changed is ourcellves...

Beseeching begging prayer of a plane going down may sound like this, "Oh G!d, please save me and prevent the plane from going down and killing us all" Yes it is a typical prayer, and in this instance, odds are you'll hear more than one devout atheist saying something like that....funny how G!d and prayer are grasped at in desperate situations.

But if there is a G!d that hears prayers...that same thing may sound like this to Him... "Oh all knowing all perfect being creator of the world and everything I see... I know you are in control of my life and affairs, but I've noticed this issue in your plan (my plane going down, cancer, divorce, football game outcome) and I've been made aware of your mistake and am relaying it to you so you can fix it. Fix this for me, dance to my drummer and I will believe."

Then there is this prayer/song/affirmation...

6. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

OK. No, it doesn't prevent the crash.
    My whole thesis is that God does not play into human history in this way.