Turkish school requiring Christian students to study the Quran

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Nick the Pilot, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

Turkey rolls back secular education for 'pious generation'

"ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Pastor Ahmet Guvener managed to get his daughter, a Christian, an exemption from mandatory religious classes in her Turkish school. But he soon found that the 17-year-old wasn't really off the hook.

"As an alternative to the classes at her school in Diyarbakir, in southeast Turkey, she would have to choose from three electives: the life of the Prophet Muhammad, the Quran or basic religious knowledge — or fail the year.

"It seriously damaged my child's psychology," said Guvener, who heads the Protestant Church in Diyarbakir. He accuses the school of deliberately forcing religious education on students — a claim the teachers' union denied."

(cont.)

2. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

I've wondered for at least 10 years when this would rear it's ugly head. This is going to be bad for Turkey. Jeez, NATO?

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Studying another religions seriously damaged his daughters psychology?

What, did she begin to question what he'd been force feeding her for 17 years?

4. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Christians want to force teaching their religion in America's public schools. Don't seem to have any problem with that. But they are psychologically damaged having one of theirs when an Islamic school does the same thing?

Double standard. Say it ain't so!

5. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

99% of Turkey claims Islam as their religion. How is this "bad" for Turkey? Wouldn't it make sense that if someone was to live in a country of that much majority, that it would be a good idea to learn at least a small degree of what the majority thinks. My son's Daycare spent 2 weeks going over the Christmas and Chanukkah holidays... We didn't care so much because at some point he is going to learn these things for himself. If Democracy was what most Americans really cared about, and Turkey voted to establish Islam as the only official religion, shouldn't we be happy? Majority wins right? unless it's a majority that doesn't agree with what our majority does, then it's wrong.

I'd say this is a glaring example of a double standard in politics. While I don't agree with forcing anyone to learn about Islam, I do see the benefit. Same as living in the US and learning well... a little of all religions...

6. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Hellenist

What was "basic religious knowledge"? The post quoted says "The government insists that the course teaches general knowledge about all faiths" In Britain, "general knowledge about all faiths" is a compulsory subject.

The protester sounds like what I'd call a "ranting proddy".