Congress shall make no law...

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by wil, Mar 9, 2015.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

2. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Well-Known Member

We live in a Nanny State where all three branches of government are willingness to not only forgo the constitution but to shred it. Side Bar: I can't stand J. Gruber but lets face it. He understands from where this originates...

3. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Congress Shall Pass No Law not approved by the special interest groups who have bought them out.

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Anyone who thinks we can all prosper under gov't control should consult an American Indian....

5. Devils' Advocate

It is trendy these days to want to pull power from the Federal level and return it to the state level. I do not agree with this philosophy. The federal government, properly managed, is supposed to free us from state extremes. Unfortunately the Fed is anything BUT properly managed. If the state level was doing a better job of it there might be some logic to the idea. But the state level is very often managed as badly if not worse than the federal level!

What say we trash the whole thing and start over again.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Yikes, that hasn't gone so well in Libya, Iraq, Egypt.... gotta remember the length of time from independence to constitution...

7. izniss

izniss Member

I think we could do a couple of things to clean up most of the governmental mess:

1. Establish a doctrine of separation of Commerce and State. The corruption in our current governmental systems is directly and indisputably traceable to money replacing "one person one vote" as the transactional unit that influences government decisions -- and therefore transformed us from a "free republic" or democracy into an oligarchy. When the supreme court rules that "money is speech" the extent of the putrid decay of our integrity is undeniable.

2. Enforce the already existing doctrine of separation of Church and State. Religious organizations that try to influence anyone on how they should vote should, at the very least, have their "tax exempt" status removed and probably, in some cases, have their leaders prosecuted for breaking the law. Conversely the state cannot tell consenting adults how to practice their religious beliefs so long as they do not break civil laws in doing so.

8. Devils' Advocate

Those are great ideas and I completely agree. Problem is neither will happen. All three branches of our government our corrupt at this point. The Presidents obey the Constitution, when it is convenient. Otherwise they consider it optional. Congress routinely passes laws that are blatantly unconstitutional. And the Supreme Court makes their decisions based on their particular political ideologies rather than following the laws of the land.

Churches will continue to break their covenant with the Constitution. They are on a holy crusade to affect political outcomes, yet continue to expect their right of freedom from government interference to stand.

I would wish there was a way to fix the system rather than uproot the entire thing. I just do not see any way to fix the system. Corruption is so endemic that fixing it is about impossible. Not that I disagree with Wil. Chucking the system and putting something new in its place has tremendous risks. Screwed if we do. Screwed if we don't.

9. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

What was the quote about democracy is the worst form of government except for all of the others we've tried? I'm just paraphrasing here since I can't recall it right now.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

10. Devils' Advocate

Accurate enough. Problem is we no longer have a Democracy. (Technically, we never had a Democracy if we are going to be stickers about it. But everyone knows what we mean by the term). Now though we have a government which serves the rich and Big Corporations. Which would be an Oligarchy or Corporatocracy for the former & latter. In very many ways we have become a Capitalistic version of the old Soviet Union!

izniss likes this.
  11. izniss

izniss Member

I completely agree with that assessment.
    But imagine how loudly they'd deny it at central party headquarters!

12. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

the oligarchy took over long before any of us were born eh?