From Left Field

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by EdgyDolmen, Mar 11, 2015.

1. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Well-Known Member

A really clever politician anywhere knows that one of their best assets is verbal craftiness. It distracts us from deficiencies --- such as truth. Politicians tend to answer their own reframed questions and not the original.

Consider the old anecdote about the three baseball umpires talking: The first ump says, I call 'em the way I sees 'em --- the second says, I call 'em the way they are --- and the third ump says, They ain't nothin' until I calls 'em!

Like the crafty politician the third ump understands that it is within his authority to define reality. The politician defines our reality and like the Pied Piper leads us all the way to the voting booth.

How do you vote? Are you mesmerized by the craftiness and the music of the Piper?

2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

I haven't voted since 1976. I've become rather disillusioned by the entire process and there has never been a candidate to convince me otherwise.

3. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

All too true Edgy. The solution a couple of decades ago was that there was still a legitimate media. And when they got a non-answer, they kept asking the same question, making the attempt at least, to get a straight answer. I remember a particularly rough time for Nixon in his administration where a news outlet, say CBS, asked a tough question. Nixon dodged it. He chose another station, say ABC, and they asked the exact question. Two other news outlets kept up the heat until Nixon knew the only way off the hook was to ask one of the special interest news organizations for their question because he knew they would ask something else.

Did we ever get an answer to that first question. Nope. But the news media acting as a team showed the American people that Nixon would not answer the question. Point made.

Back then there weren't 'safe' media outlets that politicians could run to to duck answering any hardball questions. Today, every nut job conservative politician always appears of the Fox propaganda channel, where they know the will always get softball questions. They dodge real news outlets. We are voting for people who we know up front are not willing to even risk a news outlet that might not be easy on them.

Thus during the last election cycle we had the surreal scenes of non sanctioned reporters following politicians out as they walked back to their cars, trying to ask a legitimate question, and the politician simply ignoring them as if they didn't exist until they got into the safety of their car.

Who would possibly want to vote for such people? Yet we do. All the time. That they are cowards hiding behind media that support them does not seem to make any serious difference to a huge potion of the electorate.

And it is on both sides of the isle. Mrs. Clinton just held a press conference to talk about her infamous private email account handling government business. Her replies to questions were all classic Clinton obfuscation. She answered questions while not actually answering anything. Once again I put the blame on modern news media. Politicians always have and always will try to avoid direct answers, and as long as the news media go along with the game, we get nowhere.

4. izniss

izniss Member

I voted for Reagan in 1980 and, after that fiasco, did not vote again until the undying stupidity of G.W. Bush inspired me to vote again for the lesser of two evils by whatever slim margin that "lesser" might be. Maybe preventing a centimeter slide further into the cesspit is my moral obligation but, practically speaking, it doesn't really seem to matter who gets faux voted into our elected (plutocratically appointed) positions because the same puppeteers are still pulling their strings.

5. EdgyDolmen

Strangely enough I had just watched (a repeat) the HRC press conference and was appalled. The Clintons are masters at obfuscation.

6. EdgyDolmen

Ole GW defended Donald Rumsfeld's remarks regarding the lack of WMD in Iraq: "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Simply because you do not have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that it doesn't exist." This is truly argumentum ad ignorantiam! Okay so the only reasonable question is, what is the evidence for the existence of WMD.

Do we really ever have a lesser ignoramus...

7. izniss

izniss Member

Now this is a great idea. Then we'd know who was actually running the country whether we could do anything about it or not:

[​IMG]