Faith in science

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by A Cup Of Tea, Mar 30, 2015.

1. powessy

powessy Well-Known Member

Science only covers the things that can be seen, and tested. I also believe in the scientific method but this completely causes problems with the things I experience and see, in the spiritual world.

As for faith, I feel it is a personal path one takes given the knowledge we hold at that time.

powessy

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

I can think of some corner cases, yes. Neutrinos with "right-hand" chirality won't interact with anything ever. We might still be able to see them "leaving" the universe, from the accounting in the reactions in which they originated, but afaik this has not been done. So even though they essentially vanish, they could be detectable in retrospect.

(edited for clarification re experimental observation - my physics is rusty!)

Objects beyond the 13-odd billion light year "horizon" of the universe's age likewise can't interact with us here now. We can make educated guesses about their existence at least, through cosmogony considerarions.

The information (parameters of configuration) of particles passing the event horizon of a black hole. Again, we can make guesses about this, and there are interesting theories about how the universe keeps track of this "accountancy" to preserve angular momentum and other "things" that are preserved in the universe.

Sure, and I enjoy the speculation a lot, but, in the presence of explanations which do not require major exceptions to our models of the natural laws, well, Occams Razor is a good aesthetic, in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Aupmanyav, Ella S. and RJM like this.
  3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

I agree wrt the personal path.

The effects of faith on behavior can be, and are, studied scientifically. This is only a tiny facet of the complex phenomenon we call faith, but I wanted to drop that in.

Ella S. likes this.
  4. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

mmm ... old Occam

I'm following a current idea that inflation is eternal and our big bang universe originated when inflation ended just here -- other universes forming all the time, wherever inflation stops. All kinds of universes. Weird stuff. So big. But 'even' this universe is quite big enough, lol

Cino likes this.
  5. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

Yeah, that is science. So where does faith come in?
    Science does not cause any problem. It only clarifies mistakes. Problem is for people who come with prejudices.
    That does not per se require any faith. What it does happens with people who do not subscribe to any faith also (ethics and morality among atheists).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Ella S. likes this.
  6. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

There are people announcing: 'my religious book, written more than a thousand years ago, actually talks about the big bang' -- and then perhaps within the next few decades the big bang gets disproved ... oops

Ella S. likes this.
  7. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

There was probably no Big Bang, it was faint rumble from 13.78 billion years ago. The audio is there on internet.