New design for Cambodian House of Worship:

Discussion in 'Baha'i' started by arthra, Jul 18, 2015.

1. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Baha'i Houses of Worship are generally few and when designed reflect the area where they are erected... A good example of this is found in the design for the House of Worship in Cambodia...

[​IMG]

BATTAMBANG, Cambodia — As the sun rose over Battambang yesterday, the melodies of prayer filled the morning air, in a spirit of reverence, exultation, and thanksgiving.

These dawn prayers began the event for the unveiling of the design of the first local Baha’i House of Worship for the people of this region of Cambodia, which has in recent years witnessed the emergence of a vibrant community life centered on worship of God and service to humanity. The events of the day involved dignitaries as well as inhabitants of the surrounding communities, numbering over 300 people. Some had walked, while others made their way using various forms of transport to arrive on time for the early morning program.

Sochet Vitou Tang, the architect of the project, was deeply moved by the occasion as he addressed the audience. “It is an especial pleasure to stand here on the sacred land which will host the local Baha’i House of Worship for Battambang, in the Kingdom of Cambodia,” he said.

Mr. Tang described the purpose of the project as being to create a place of tranquility where the mind and soul could find rest and solace, a place where the spiritual and material dimensions of life would be harmonized.

He further explained that the House of Worship would become a center where people of all persuasions could “come to learn about life, about the environment, and the world beyond; a place where we come to build a unified world.”

Source:

Dawn unveiling for Cambodian temple design - Bahá'í World News Service

2. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful structure indeed!

3. arthra

arthra Baha'i

There's a wide variety if designs for Baha'i Houses of Worship.. as the following reveals:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  4. arthra

arthra Baha'i

[​IMG]

Another view of the Cambodian House of Worship

5. arthra

arthra Baha'i

More information about the Cambodian House of Worship:

"The plans unveiled last month for the Local House of Worship suggest it will be a striking, spacious campus. As well as a temple which the Baha’i emphasise will be open to members of all religions there will be a study centre, administrative block and dormitories for long-distance visitors facilities the Baha’i hope will solidify Battambang’s reputation as a regional hub for the faithful.
    The cost of the project is not yet fixed. Those involved said they believe it would be more than $1 million, but they are not yet sure how much more. Funding will come from Baha’is all over the world, who are obliged to “give back” to the faith as part of their devotion.
    The temple itself adheres to the Baha’is central aesthetic principle of favouring nine-sided designs, but is also distinctly Cambodian: the round building’s winged parapets are reminiscent of Vann Molyvann’s Chaktomuk theatre.
    The man behind the complex’s design is Tang Sochet Vitou, an architect based in Phnom Penh...."
    "

Source:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/field-faith-bahai-community-wins-space-worship

6. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Just today I was informed by a friend that there is a video on Youtube which has a "virtual tour" of the Cambodian House of Worship:

7. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Nicely done.

StevePame likes this.
  8. arthra

arthra Baha'i

While this is a thread from earlier this year I wanted add a brief article about the local Baha'is landscaping the grounds of the Cambodian House of Worship:

House of Worship inspires children and youth to plant for the future
    8 November 2016
    BATTAMBANG, Cambodia — For months now, scores of volunteers from nearby communities in Battambang have gathered regularly to work on the landscaping of the local Baha'i House of Worship being constructed there.

This spirit of collective service has become contagious. One sign of its spreading influence has been a welling up of enthusiasm and a wish among children to have their share in this historic development.

Neighboring communities have responded to this growing enthusiasm by organizing gardening projects at the Temple site open to children, youth, and adults of all ages.

• In Battambang, a spirit of collective service has become contagious. One sign of its spreading influence has been a welling up of enthusiasm and a wish among… »
    Enlarge (12 images)
    Hundreds of volunteers have participated in the projects. They gather for prayers in the early morning and then start off a full day of gardening, planting frangipani trees and ixora shrubs on the land surrounding the rising central edifice. Some 900 plants have been transplanted onto the site.

"Now we can see the ixora and frangipanis smiling to the sunlight," said one participant, reflecting on his experience at the most recent collective gardening event. He added that he was happy to be able to help make the grounds of the Temple beautiful so others would be able to enjoy the gardens when visiting in the future. His sentiments are widespread.

Battambang is one of the first five localities worldwide that have been selected by the Universal House of Justice for the construction of a local Baha'i House of Worship. The Temple is expected to be completed by late 2017.

9. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Progress is made in the construction of the Baha'i House of worship in Cambodia...

Construction progresses on Cambodia Temple - Bahá’í World News Service

From the article:

BATTAMBANG, Cambodia — Excitement is stirring in Battambang as anticipation builds for the completion of the first local Baha'i House of Worship. Scores upon scores of inhabitants in the region have been galvanized to offer service to their communities, as well as at the Temple site, where hundreds of shrubs and flowers have been planted since the initiation of this historic endeavor.

Additionally, construction of the central edifice and surrounding buildings has advanced rapidly, and recent aerial video footage captures the beauty of the emerging structure and the surrounding land.

Read more at:

Construction progresses on Cambodia Temple | Bahá’í World News Service (BWNS)

10. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Preparations for Temple inauguration accelerate
    11 August 2017

BATTAMBANG, Cambodia — In just three weeks, the people of Battambang will celebrate the dedication of their local Baha'i House of Worship. New video footage captures recent progress and highlights the beauty of the Temple.

[​IMG]SLIDESHOW
    12 images
    The House of Worship at night

The final step in the construction will be the placement of a calligraphic rendering of the invocation "O Glory of the All-Glorious," referred to as the Greatest Name, within the Temple's dome, planned to occur next week.

The dedication, which will take place on 1 September 2017, will be marked by a two-day conference bringing together over 2,000 people from Battambang, as well as every other region of Cambodia. A number of Cambodian dignitaries will attend, as well as representatives of Baha'i communities in Southeast Asia.

The Temple is a frequent topic of conversation among the local population. Even before its completion, it has galvanized action towards the betterment of the community and brought together neighbors in prayer and fellowship.

Read more at
    Preparations for Temple inauguration accelerate | Bahá’í World News Service (BWNS)

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

The temples are just incredible.

StevePame likes this.
  12. arthra

arthra Baha'i

I wanted to share an article about the architect of the Cambodian House of Worship:

Spirit and aspirations of a people: Reflections of Temple's architect
    31 August 2017

[​IMG]
    The Baha'i House of Worship in Battambang, Cambodia, will be dedicated tomorrow.

BATTAMBANG, Cambodia — Every day since Sochet Vitou Tang embarked on the journey to design the Baha'i House of Worship in Battambang just over two years ago, there has been a sense of joy in the process.

"Of course, the day our design was selected was a moment that stands out," says the Cambodian architect. "But I have enjoyed every day of working on this project and seeing the way of life of a Baha'i community."

Read more at
    Spirit and aspirations of a people: Reflections of Temple's architect | Bahá’í World News Service (BWNS)

13. arthra

arthra Baha'i