They aren't all Muslim

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by BigJoeNobody, Aug 25, 2015.

1. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

http://news.yahoo.com/trial-suspect...058.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=ma

Of course they don't call him a terrorist.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/n-y-man-first-ever-be-convicted-trying-acquire-radiation-n414546

They did this one though...

I wonder how many stories need to be forced upon people before they put down this myth that all terrorists are Muslim. I read article after article and meme after meme here lately about how Islam is to blame for terrorism. And that Christianity doesn't have any affliction to extremism. KKK, Westboro Baptist, and arguably the recent "Britain First" (and affiliates in other countries) are prime examples of Christian intolerance in modern times. Noone bats an eye to anyone other than the actual perpetrators when one of these groups says and does things racist/ bigotted. But a group claiming Islam as their religion somehow represents the religion without question or analysis. This happens to be a fairly open/understanding group here, but the prejudice still lurks. When are we going to look at the real problem in all these groups regardless of the religion they claim. Greed is a broad answer to many of these problems, whether it be greed for money or power directly. Another answer is that none of these people are following their religion. 9/10 times the problem isn't the fault of the religion, but rather the lack of adherence to such.

2. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

The problem is that they don't adhere to what they don't want to adhere to.

I mean, take for example those who "follow" the precepts of eugenics and use those precepts for apartheid and other forms of segregation and/or racial violence. Ditto the people who commit physical and/or sexual violence against those that they don't see as "equals" or "righteous". The more I know about people, the more I appreciate :kitty:s.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I don't believe anyone here thinks all terrorists are Muslim or that all Muslims are terrorists...

4. BigJoeNobody

and yet I've heard it here... both... maybe not by regulars, but at times... and I doubt you would say outside of this site you have never heard both of those by people who truly believed them to be true

5. Hermes

Hermes Zos Kia Cultus

The point is in a secular world that in the 21st century, nobody is likely stone (or otherwise) kill me because of some perceived infraction of my morals or dress-code or musical choice or other mundane stuff. In SOME cultures and notice I am not even bringing up Islam, because I firmly believe this is not only a religious issue but a cultural one, it is normal to be offended by a book or some other stuff western or non-western people do, like deciding to convert to other religions or cutting their beard off. And it is the same crap the Mexicans do...they want to escape the misery, bribery and stagnation yet they insist on bringing the same culture to the US that keeps them down, back home. Do not change us into Mexico! I say, go back and revolt!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  6. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Well-Known Member

A glance at the pages of any newspaper reveals that ideas which divide one group from another group seem to only unite them in slaughter and those ideas most often have their roots in religion. When we eradicate ourselves it will not be because it is written in the stars but because it is written in our books. Which book do you suppose will be the inspiration?

7. BigJoeNobody

I don't believe that day will ever come. And I don't see it as huge an issue as many make it out to be.

As I said in Hermes' status quote, the problem isn't religion, but rather a general populace that does not adhere to it. In the parts they fall short they look for quick and easy methods to please God (or Gods in the polytheists eyes). In Islam these issues are mainstream news. The main issue is these quick and dirty methods are just that... dirty. They are following loosely 1 piece of the religion while abrogating 90% of the rest.

I'm sure it seems as though these are common occurrences in Islam, but they are not. You are right that these things, where they do happen, are heavily cultural. Mexican drug cartels are ruthless (along with all the rest of the cartels/mafias/gangs/etc) Outside of these however, I believe your argument breaks down outside of media influence. Notice how many televangelist types that were "once Muslim" claim "barely escaped with their lives". There are so many that claim this that it has become a standard line for people. from this, I also agree, getting out of a cartel is very dangerous, but in general, many people join and leave Islam every day without incident. Only a few cases a year show actual harm coming to those who convert out. Is it encouraged, no. Are people who leave viewed as OK in Allah's eyes, No. Are people going to keep killing because it says it is ok, without taking the other Ayas and Hadiths into question, yes. Will most S.A. cartels attend mass on Sunday, yes.

BTW. I'm not trying to be rude Hermes, but a lot of what you write reminds me of the "get off my lawn!!!" types. I apologize if I ever mistake your bluntness for attempts to be rude.

8. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Muslim's are certainly not the only group to create terrorists. Muslims are, however, the most significant religious group perceived to threaten the US with terrorism right now. So it is Muslims that get the media attention. Americans are not much concerned about groups terrorizing people in other parts of the world.

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  9. BigJoeNobody

and that is the main thing I see holding back the chance for peace. The media is forcing this on everyone.

10. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Admin

I agree. Peace or positive stories are terrible news for the media. Such would force them to admit they've been manipulating the populace by creating unnecessary fear. All bad for their bottom line. For instance, I heard one reporter yesterday suggest that the gunman in Virginia who killed his ex-colleagues on the air was Muslim, despite a 42 page declaration he sent the media that didn't make a single reference to Islam.

11. BigJoeNobody

dUPLICATE

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

It has been said a democracy cannot survive without a free and independent media. We haven't had that for quite some time now. We are seeing the consequences of that very directly these days. My only real hope is that the younger generations will reinvent journalism through an internet based format, bypassing the television media giants completely. And that they will be young and courageous enough to bring genuine journalism back into the news.

13. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I don't see the media to blame..,somebody paints a picture and there are Intl death threats....another sys they won't rest until Israel is obliterated...folks take notice...

It is obvious they aren't ALL Muslim...but they don't all have too be... 9/11 is hard to forget...the image is burned in our psyche.,.

Every group...when they feel targeted whines...listen to our Christians complain about being oppressed...or our atheists...or our clowns...