Is Modern Society to Blame?

Aussie Thoughts

Just my 2 cents
Reaction score
NJ and I were discussing on another thread about the rise in alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse among the Aboriginal people of Australia and the native peoples of Fiji. The only thing these 2 societies have in common is their relatively recent adaptation of modern lifestyles. So that begs the question, is modern society to blame for a rise in alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse? If so why and if not why not?

BigJoeNobody

Professional Argument Attractor
Reaction score
NJ and I were discussing on another thread about the rise in alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse among the Aboriginal people of Australia and the native peoples of Fiji. The only thing these 2 societies have in common is their relatively recent adaptation of modern lifestyles. So that begs the question, is modern society to blame for a rise in alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse? If so why and if not why not?
I would say these issues are gaining steam, not necessarily because culture is catching up, but rather the protection against these issues is being lost. I will preface the rest of this by saying this is my opinion based on my Islamic principles. In the Quran it warns us about tiptoeing in the steps of Shaytan (Satan, Iblis, Lucifer, whatever name you attribute to him) In Jewish Tradition drinking lightly alcoholic beverages was legal (light being a wine that was about 1% alcohol). Over several millennia, The Jews were pushing the boundaries by drinking to get drunk (or more filled of the spirit). When the Quran came, Allah forbade it completely (this could have several reasons, main being that they had learned how to store fruit juice without fermenting it.) Along with alcohol, Allah also forbade use of all intoxicants (which means he doubled up his forbiddance (if this is a word) of alcohol, which I attribute to its tendency to do the other forbidden things more easily). Domestic Violence has been a problem for a long time. The Torah puts limits, but like alcohol those limits were pushed over time. When the NT came after Jesus's (PBUH) ascension, he hadn't made many claims (that were recorded) against it, but overall from his message, most violence went down. But like all the prophets' (PBUTA) times, the limits were pushed because they were not steadfast laws. They had loopholes and self-judgement based limits. When the Quran came, these loopholes and self-judged limits were eliminated. Drugs, alcohol, and a great deal of domestic violence (by modern definitions "Most") had to cease. The only time a man had the right to hit his wife, is if she refused to do what was expected of her (long discussion there, but suffice to say "Women's duties" include taking care of kids, cooking, cleaning, maintaining their religious practices, etc). Then it had many steps before that became an option. The man must first cease attention giving, then cease sexual relations, then finally he would be "allowed" to strike her "LIGHTLY". To safeguard this, men and women were given the right to Divorce. This ensured that if the man was being unreasonable, the woman had the right to leave. If the man couldn't get his wife to do any of her duties, he can divorce her BEFORE reaching the point of hitting her.

So the jist is basically my view is that the problems are from pushing the limits of Allah's allowances of previous religions (as I and most Muslims would say all religions stem from the "original" religion). Making several small steps in the way of Shaytan, until people are fully on the wrong path, lost. Between the pushing of limits in the name of "fun" and the mass digression being seen from most religions, I would say things are going to look bleaker and bleaker until it is "fixed" by the return of Jesus (PBUH).

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Reaction score
So that begs the question, is modern society to blame for a rise in alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse? If so why and if not why not?
I think the propensity for alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse has always existed and represents a certain mindset. Modern society however, has provided greater opportunity to give in to these tendencies. So, in a roundabout way, yes society is to blame, but the tendency is preexisting

Last edited:

StevePame

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I think the propensity for alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse has always existed and represents a certain mindset. Modern society however, has provided creator opportunity to give in to these tendencies.

I agree. I'm also thinking about a similar situation experienced by American Indians/Native Americans. Might it be that these 'creator opportunities' are more pervasive among population groups that did not, or were not allowed to, embrace modern society outright and now that the opportunity has passed them by, they're more prone to escapism via substances or trying to exert some semblance of control, e.g. using violence to keep family members in line?

Devils' Advocate

Reaction score
In this so called Reality. Well, most of the time.
My thinking is a bit different. With all these aboriginal societies there are usually solid boundaries for proper behavior and inappropriate behavior; as well as male oriented tasks and female oriented tasks. I think that what happens is that when they come into 'modern' society they lose the social structure that kept everything in place. And unfortunately in modern societies there is no new structure to replace the old. Modern societies are basically structureless. What structures does one use to be a man? How are they different from what a women might use to define her sex. We have intermixed societal roles so badly that even people within modern societies often don't have a clue how they are supposed to act.

Imagine that uncertainty multiplied a thousand fold and that is where the typical aboriginal person ends up. Having lost the structure that worked for them, and with nothing to put in its place. They literally become lost members of society. It makes them easy prey for the vices that plague modern societies.

The Native Americans are the perfect example as they had their tribal structures ripped away from them a couple hundred years ago, and they still have not recovered to this day.

Aussie Thoughts

Just my 2 cents
Reaction score
I think the propensity for alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse has always existed and represents a certain mindset.
That stands to reason. It could also explain why some Aboriginals have adapted quite well to modern life while others have not.
Modern society however, has provided greater opportunity to give in to these tendencies.
This is true. Modern life does indeed afford many vast and interesting ways to get into trouble.
Might it be that these 'creator opportunities' are more pervasive among population groups that did not, or were not allowed to, embrace modern society outright and now that the opportunity has passed them by, they're more prone to escapism via substances or trying to exert some semblance of control, e.g. using violence to keep family members in line?
I know for the Aboriginals of Australia, the ones that have adapted a modern life style on their own, do much better than those who have had modern life thrust upon them. So, I'd have to agree.
My thinking is a bit different. With all these aboriginal societies there are usually solid boundaries for proper behavior and inappropriate behavior; as well as male oriented tasks and female oriented tasks.
You're onto something there mate. In Aboriginal society, male and female roles were clearly defined. Men were dependent on woman to maintain the home and raise the children and women were dependent on men to provide food and safety. Modern society has definitely taken away or at least drastically changed one of the corner stones of their existence. In a lot of areas Aborigines can no longer live off the land as they have for 1000's of years and with no modern skills to speak of, many are now dependent on state aid to survive.

BigJoeNobody

Reaction score
You're onto something there mate. In Aboriginal society, male and female roles were clearly defined. Men were dependent on woman to maintain the home and raise the children and women were dependent on men to provide food and safety.
Likewise with Abrahamics. In the days of Jewish law, Men and Women's roles were set, without question. In Christian law, (at least early on) this was the same. On into the age of modern Islam (for those who don't know, we believe Islam is the same religion taught by all the prophets back to and including Adam), where women's jobs revolve heavily around household needs, and men's revolve highly on bringing in the necessities, and anything extra went to wealth that was then distributed among the house as agreed on by the wife (or wives). Maybe that was one of the absolute keys to staying on a clean and straight path. Slight deviations when navigating in real navigation situations can lead to monstrous errors in the long run. As I have been told the Aboriginals navigate with song, what if one summer migration gets pushed further due to some unforeseen circumstance. Or in the unlikely event the elder would make an error in their navigation stories, and wind up off course. In essence, while bringing the women's duties closer to the mens' and vice versa, maybe we have veered into a path where neither member is powerful enough to stop the other from taking these issues too far.

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Reaction score
My thinking is a bit different. With all these aboriginal societies there are usually solid boundaries for proper behavior and inappropriate behavior; as well as male oriented tasks and female oriented tasks. I think that what happens is that when they come into 'modern' society they lose the social structure that kept everything in place. And unfortunately in modern societies there is no new structure to replace the old. Modern societies are basically structureless. What structures does one use to be a man? How are they different from what a women might use to define her sex. We have intermixed societal roles so badly that even people within modern societies often don't have a clue how they are supposed to act.
EXCELLENT! Sums up the problem quite well, not only for Aboriginal societies, but society as a whole.

Aussie Thoughts

Just my 2 cents
Reaction score
Imagine that uncertainty multiplied a thousand fold and that is where the typical aboriginal person ends up. Having lost the structure that worked for them, and with nothing to put in its place. They literally become lost members of society. It makes them easy prey for the vices that plague modern societies.
True enough. In my area, Aboriginals that have added elements of modern society to their existing lifestyle have fared much better than those who have attempted to adopt a modern lifestyle.

Last edited:

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
I'd say not....the development of alcohol...is an issue...however that has nothing to do with 'modern' society... That was developed by many cutures thousands of years ago..yes those recently introduced to it go through a lengthy (hundreds of years) learning curve and adaptation....modern socitey is moving away from pervasive alcohol abuse and violence...

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
On ours...we are living in the most peaceful least violent time the human race has ever experienced... While a 24 hour news cycle and instant internet information and bombardment of our psyche with whatever sensationalism we can muster... The actual facts don't meet our perceptions...

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with rose.colored glasses...it has to do with the growth of our societies over time... While slavery still exists..it has largely been eliminates in modern society... Apartheid, lynchings, vigilantism, genocide were once common..again in modern society.. All but.gone. domestic violence used to nktbe against the law...it was discipline of spouses and children... The focus on human rights, equal rights, civil rights is something that has been continually adresssed and constantly improved upon in the past 50 years...under every category of violence against humans and animals arrives have been made in modern society that 1000, 100 and even 50 years ago would have been thought as unimaginable. The improvements that modern society has provided in this regard has been so great as to dramatically effect the overall stats on our entire planet in the last 50 years despite wars and oppression that we are seeing in the middle east, Africa and Asia...

Thomas

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
While slavery still exists..it has largely been eliminates in modern society...
Not really, it's been masked, that's all. The American penal system is slavery by another name, and third world exploitation is arguably a bigger industry now than the slavery of yore. 'Out of sight', as the saying goes ...

BigJoeNobody

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I also do not agree that it is more peaceful today than the past. Here in the US, things seem better at the surface. I encourage you to walk around a bit more however. Lower income areas tend to have rising crime rates, higher than ever before. Upper income areas tend to be bound, until someone snaps under the repression of their feelings that they are forced to bottle up. The crimes might be less frequent in those, but more destructive. Alcoholism in the US is higher than ever. Drug use is becoming so common laws are being created as we speak to de-criminalize them. Rape, murder, and assault are always rising rates. Racism is rising by the day to levels of epic proportions. The racism is even more destructive as both sides are seen as equal and are equally destructive to the other.

What's worse, this phenomena is not exclusive to the US. Europe, China, India, Russia, etc are all seeing the same rises.

Aussie Thoughts

Just my 2 cents
Reaction score
Which modern elements have they chosen to add?
Different things depending on the situation. These days it's not unusual to see an Abby with a mobile phone. Even among those that still live in traditional tribal settings. Speaking of which; my brother and I went to a neighboring Aboriginal camp one night to see if we could recruit some day labor for the morning's harvest. The Abbies pretty much live outdoors there and sleep under the stars. Any road, as we approached the camp we saw this weird blue glow coming from the brush. Turns out the entire village was watching a flat screen television hanging from a tree! They had it running off of a car battery through an inverter. Quite innovative I guess, but were it not for this new advanced media, they'd have all been sitting around the fire listening to dreamtime stories. What price progress?