Events in San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Baha'i' started by arthra, Dec 9, 2015.

1. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Wednesday December 2nd occurred one of those horrific moments where terrorism broke lose on a relatively unknown community ... Now when people in the media mention "San Bernardino" or maybe "Redlands" a certain picture emerges. Well for me these cities are more than just a media impression as I've lived in these cities most of my life. I was employed by the Regional Center that was attacked...and worked with dedicated Public Health employees for years... People who had no other agenda than serving those in need in the communities of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.

Another reason this was brought "home" to me was that I live within a block of the apartment that was rented by the suspects who allegedly had an arsenal of weapons, ammunition and pipe bombs...

I walked my dog across the street where they lived. So there has been for me a numbness felt and memories of my past working experiences in various agencies years ago.

Over the past weekend as a representative of the Baha'i Faith I attended two memorial services at local Islamic Centers in Redlands and the neighboring community of Loma Linda. I think the Muslims at these services were sincerely opposed to the assaults at the Regional Center in San Bernardino.. We united in prayer and sympathy for the innocent.

One thing that is of most concern to me is the "back lash" that these events can inspire... We need to unite and share the values of peace and non-violence rather than resort to vengeance or to scape-goat minorities.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  2. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

One of the purposes of these types of attacks is to create enough anger that there will be backlashes against other Muslims. Then the bad guys can point to how the Muslims are being persecuted here as justification for their actions, and the need for further actions. Unfortunately there is a clueless segment of Americans who will give them exactly what they want. Winners = 0.

arthra likes this.
  3. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

That's got to be rough on you mate. My heart goes out to you and everyone involved.
    That's the way. Hang tough and show your support for the good in people. I don't see how anyone of any faith could condone such lunacy. Cowardice, terrorist are their own worst enemy. Keep the faith.

arthra likes this.
  4. arthra

arthra Baha'i

StevePame and wil like this.
  5. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Chump, unfortunately, speaks to the ignorance and fear that is so much a part of our culture now. That he is leading in the Republican polls tells you everything you need to know about who these people are. To bash an entire people for popularity - now where have I seen that before. Oh yeah. Germany circa 1918.

6. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Lux likes this.
  7. arthra

arthra Baha'i

upload_2015-12-21_21-4-40.png

The inside collar of a T-shirt being sold after the Redlands/San Bernardino incident of December 2nd.

StevePame likes this.