The Bible Doesn't Say Anything

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by Devils' Advocate, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

2. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

I get the author's point, and it is valid from a certain perspective. That perspective is essentially a very disassociated one. A perspective of trying to find a talking point there one doesn't really exist. we all know a book cannot speak. Most reverts from Christianity to Islam still understand the benefits mentioned in the Bible, because we can read it. The first commandment given to Mouhammed (PBUH) by Gabriel (PBUH) is to read, but why? (I'm switching to a broader commentary) The Quran is a verbal revelation (Much like a lot of the Torah). The Quran is maintained as a verbal tradition alongside a written one. But Mouhammed (PBUH) never needed to read to understand it, so why command him to read? Of course this could be as simple as maintaining the fact the he could not read, or it could be as profound as saying that God's word needs to be read and analyzed to reveal more wisdom contained.

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Revert... I like that lol

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

As for the article... Clickbait

5. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Yeah that a book cannot speak is hyperbole. The author of the article uses the concept to suggest that what people say the book states is where the rubber hits the road. That a person's statement is (and must be) filtered their personal life experiences.

He is also railing against the popular use of "The Bible says..." by politicians and the like to give their statements a legitimacy that the statement does not deserve.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting perspective.