Greetings to you all.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mitchell McKain, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Mitchell McKain

Mitchell McKain New Member

I was not raised in any religion unless it is psychology (both parents majored in the subject at university). I searched for the truth first in science, then in philosophy and only then in religion.

Thus I am a scientist first and science is a way in which we use logic to extend our ability to see the world around us. In philosophy I became enamored of existentialism, Aristotle and the pragmatism of Charles Sanders Pierce. I studied a little Buddhism and the religion of the far east. Also I listened to what the missionaries had to say (JW and Mormons), who came to my front door, though I eventually rejected their ideas.

I read the Bible on my own resonating first with the words of Jesus and then many years later with those of Paul. I asked Jesus into my life when I was in high school, but I had no contact with any church to tell me what to believe. So I figured things out for myself.

The result is that I am a liberal evangelical who agrees with the Eastern Orthodox on a couple of doctrinal issues like original sin and the atonement, and with the likes of John Polkinghorne on the issue of open theism. Though, be careful, I attribute no authority to any of these to dictate what I believe and I will express what I believe quite differently than they do.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Quite interesting.... Looking.forward to tour comments...

3. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Interesting indeed. Welcome.

4. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Admin

Welcome, Mitchell.

5. Rak

Rak Member

Welcome.
    I belong tot he Eastern Orthodox church, so feel free to ask questions.

6. Rak

Rak Member

Basically, the Eastern Orthodox are following the path at least as far back as we can prove things one way or the other in Christianity. Consider infant baptism - no one can prove 100% what happened in the 1st century AD on that question, but in the 2nd century they were using infant baptism, which the Eastern Orthodox use.
    With liberal Evangelicalism, I think it's nice that they are involved in Mission work alot. Orthodox also have been, but in the US they are a small minority.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Which has the longer tradition? EO or Ethiopia?