Do you Own a Gun?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Namaste Jesus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

With all that's going on in the world lately I was wondering, does anyone here own a gun and for what purpose is it used?

As I've mention on another thread I have an old shotgun that came with the home I bought. It's packed away though and not used for anything. How about you guys?

2. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

I have three, and would buy more if I could afford to. They're for self-defense.

3. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

No guns here.

4. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

I can't own any due to the fact that I live in subsidized housing and it's part of my lease that I don't have any firearms.

I do own a skinning knife that I named Bjornbarrentag (I believe that's how it's spelled [it's been a while since I took Swedish]...) Its "name" translates to "Blackberry thorn".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

5. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

Yes I am a registered gun owner with a concealed weapon permit.

6. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

Björnbärstagg

7. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

yes... several although most are shotguns, Use them for hunting and defense and sport.

8. Namaste Jesus

If all the mandatory gun regulations are followed in my state, having a weapon (handgun) for self-defense is almost pointless. Handguns must be stored unloaded in a lock box with a trigger lock and all ammunition stored separately. I can just picture someone politely asking a robber after a break-in to wait while they find the keys to their lock box and trigger lock, locate their ammo and load their gun. "Hold it right there mister, don't move! I've got a gun around here someplace."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. A Cup Of Tea

Out of curiosity, in what scenario do you need three or more for self-defence? Is it against an armed force or do you have them all in different locations?

10. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

One reason is different types (hand gun vs. long gun) for different situations. Another is different locations (bedside, living room, car, etc.). Another is seeing or hearing about a product that looks better than the one you currently have. Another is supporting the industry by buying their products.

Another is the coolness of buying a new thing that you like. :)

I like G-d, freedom of expression, cats and guns, and I don't like people who don't.

11. Namaste Jesus

Must be a sign of modern times. When I first read your post I thought you were making a cel phone reference.o_O
    Live and let live I always say. Anyone who doesn't believe that should be executed!:D

12. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Admin

No, despite living in the murder capital of America (yay, Chicago...)

13. BigJoeNobody

It's alright I grew up in the closest contender Memphis. I did visit Chicago recently though. Nice city, at least the parts I visited. There seems to be almost as big of a Pakistani community there are there are here in Houston.

14. A Cup Of Tea

You don't...like me... :'(

15. BigJoeNobody

I prefer dogs... Sry Dan and Phyllis.

16. Namaste Jesus

Seems a number of our US members have guns, but except for Senthil no one outside the US answered. I know Aussie has a small arsenal, what about the rest of you? Thomas, Cup of Tea, you guys packing heat?:cool:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  17. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

I enjoy traveling in the US, but have occasionally been brought into the cold hard reality between our two countries. Once was in Wyoming where hunters were hunting from the side of the road, rifles loaded I presume. I sped up a bit instinctively when we saw it. Here in Alberta you can't hunt within 100 metres of a numbered highway, and further away for major highways. So you never see rifles unless you are a hunter.

In DC, we needed gas at about 10PM, just off the beltway. Sketchy neighbourhood, sketchy people, I was more than frightened, but we lived.

A third time was in an old-style motel where some drunken hunters were partying in the room right above us, peeing off the balcony, pointing guns, and such. They passed out about 3 in the morning. We snuck out quietly at about 6.

I've considered not going, and know a few people who won't, but for the most part we feel safe. Just not as safe as here.

I did own a gun as a kid, on the farm. Daddy bought it for me, but after I killed one deer, I gave it back. Just way too brutal for the Hindu in me. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time.

18. Namaste Jesus

I managed a woman's shoe store in downtown Baltimore in the early 80's. On my 1st day the owner gave me a loaded .38 to carry. I never needed it, but after working there a few days, I was damn glad to have it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  19. A Cup Of Tea

No, no guns. I learned to hate them in my 10 month mandatory service, I can only think of one guy in our platoon why might have liked his rifle. Never seen a gun outside the army.

Senthil likes this.
  20. Namaste Jesus

My niece's husband use to be in the army reserve. While on guard duty one night he was caught sleeping by his Sergeant, who picked up his rifle, pointed it at him and said, "had I been the enemy you'd be dead now soldier!" To this my niece's husband replied, "I'm not stupid, before I put my gun down I took the bullets out." He was on KP for quite some time I understand.

A Cup Of Tea likes this.